Height in Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Full disclosure, I'm really, really short for a male...like 5'9 barefoot on a good day (less often these days because I only get like 4-5 hours of sleep). Def another dysfunction of mine. When I scrub in surgeries I frequently need to use a stool and most of my attendings are 6'0 and up (and they lift the bed up to their height).

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed height being a factor on the wards or in the OR. Obviously being short is a deal killer for dating (ex-sorority girls seem to all have a 6'0 up rule in place these days), but has it crossed into the professional realm for any of you. Just curious.

average height for American men (all ethnicities) is 69.5 inches...69 inches is far from really, really short for a male, you may have body dysmorphic disorder (half-joking)....being tall for a male (and female to a lesser degree) does play a role in overall attractiveness which can help with 1st impressions on the ward but you're going to have to perform and have the knowledge base and skills to shine...I'm about your height and dated in the one of the major epicenters of superficialness during training (NYC). There were def a subset of women who only wanted to date the tall former model turned hedge-fund manager but I also imagine that there was a subset of guys who only wanted to date tall super fit lookers who were 10-15 years their junior. Both subsets were likely equally disappointed and probably still single...

Members don't see this ad.

Only a woman could say this without being criticized. I've made comments saying I don't want to date a fat ugly girl because I want an attractive girlfriend and people have crucified me for it ("OMG so you only want to date someone for status purposes!" You SCUMBAG!!!!!!1111)

I don't think she said anything outrageous

Only a woman could say this without being criticized. I've made comments saying I don't want to date a fat ugly girl because I want an attractive girlfriend and people have crucified me for it ("OMG so you only want to date someone for status purposes!" You SCUMBAG!!!!!!1111)
If you think being fat or ugly is what qualifies, you are a misogynist pig. Kind, intelligent and interesting are the qualities. I am the granddaughter of a mechanic/ motorcycle gang leader, the proud daughter of a secretary who fed me in elementary school as a motel maid. I worked since I was 14 to pay for clothes, school and fun. NOBODY should date someone they wouldn't be proud to introduce to their friends and family.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At 5-9, the OP would tower over me. I am short, but I had a classmate an inch shorter than me. She's a trauma surgeon. I'm a general surgeon. I know a female ortho who is 4-11. Not sure why a barely below average height man would be concerned about his height w/r/t a surgical career when women are generally shorter than him anyhow.

My height is not an issue because I can use a step (or two) and adjust the table height as I see fit. Sometimes patients are so big and the cavity so deep that even tall surgeons need a step.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm less surprised by the OP's post than I am by the number of people who still take him seriously.

Reactions: 8 users
Really didn't think this thread would get 2 pgs worth of comments...

...Come on people let's see how much we can beat this dead horse

Reactions: 1 user
I'm less surprised by the OP's post than I am by the number of people who still take him seriously.

I agree, I don't even take myself seriously. I stopped taking myself seriously on July 21st 2016, the day I realized how utterly incompetent I was.

OP, if you could trade an inch for 5 points on the USMLE and vice versa how would you optimize your situation?

Would you rather be 242 and be 5' 5" and probably match into an average ENT program or would you want to be a 6' doctor going into family medicine?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OP, you never answered my question. No wonder you performed so poorly on Step 1. How are you going to be a doctor if you miss such simple things?

I'd be a freaking midget if it meant getting a 260+ and not having to get rejected endlessly by programs next year, and having to explain my insufficiency to programs who actually do let me interview. As it looks for now, I'm prob destined for Family Medicine so I guess I just take that portion of your scenario without the height. And it looks like no sorority girls for me either. This is so fun.

If you think being fat or ugly is what qualifies, you are a misogynist pig. Kind, intelligent and interesting are the qualities. I am the granddaughter of a mechanic/ motorcycle gang leader, the proud daughter of a secretary who fed me in elementary school as a motel maid. I worked since I was 14 to pay for clothes, school and fun. NOBODY should date someone they wouldn't be proud to introduce to their friends and family.

I'm saying I wouldn't be proud to introduce my PCOS-looking girlfriend to my parents or friends/family, no matter how smart or nice she is. I would, however, be proud to introduce my attractive intelligent nice girlfriend to them.

I agree, I don't even take myself seriously. I stopped taking myself seriously on July 21st 2016, the day I realized how utterly incompetent I was.
I love this guy.

Or he could just give up and realize he's the same decaying organic matter as everything else. But that probably won't get him a spot in ortho.

He can't give up. He's gunning for plastics. Gotta set-up that lipo clinic. Need plenty of fat for extracurricular activities...

Members don't see this ad :)
Every thread OP makes is gold. Who cares about a step 1 score (other than PDs) as long as you're able to bring joy to others

If you think being fat or ugly is what qualifies, you are a misogynist pig.

This might be the dumbest post on this thread.

You are coming off like the type of person who sits at their keyboard just waiting to interject with "misogynist", "patriarchy", or "white privilege."

Not wanting to date fat or ugly women (at least one of which is subjective) does not make someone a misogynist. Neither does suggesting that a woman would not want to date a fat or ugly person.

Reactions: 11 users
So failedatlife is a gimmick account right? I wasn't sure before but I'm pretty confidant about it now.

So failedatlife is a gimmick account right? I wasn't sure before but I'm pretty confidant about it now.
I think he just uses his SDN account as a way to vent insecurities in anonymity. The result is that we only see a caricature of the real person behind the computer screen.

It's kind of funny. I have a similar step I score and now learn I'm the same height as him, and I could hardly be happier with the way things are going in life. Perspective matters.

Reactions: 5 users
I think he just uses his SDN account as a way to vent insecurities in anonymity. The result is that we only see a caricature of the real person behind the computer screen.

It's kind of funny. I have a similar step I score and now learn I'm the same height as him, and I could hardly be happier with the way things are going in life. Perspective matters.

I think it's just a really good gimmick. Every thread is about this stuff. Says something about himself that's statistically average then berates himself about it.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it's just a really good gimmick. Every thread is about this stuff. Says something about himself that's statistically average then berates himself about it.

upload_2017-1-9_14-45-27.png

@failedatlife

Should I do research this summer (after M1) or just study for the boards full time? I'm 6'1'' if that makes a difference.

I'm saying I wouldn't be proud to introduce my PCOS-looking girlfriend to my parents or friends/family, no matter how smart or nice she is. I would, however, be proud to introduce my attractive intelligent nice girlfriend to them.

Doubtful an attractive, intelligent, nice girl would date someone that pokes fun at people with medical issues... But hope you find that unicorn

girls care about length, width, and height, in that order.

It's not an issue, unless you want to play on your school's basketball team.

Heck, Nate Robinson and mugsy bogues are shorter than 5'9" and they did ok for themselves in the league

girls care about length, width, and height, in that order.

Nah. Girth is way more important than length. It's all about the degree of stretch. That's what produces the pleasure. If you don't pass the "toilet paper roll test," I have some bad news for you...

Nah. Girth is way more important than length. It's all about the degree of stretch. That's what produces the pleasure. If you don't pass the "toilet paper roll test," I have some bad news for you...
The future physicians of America, ladies and gentlemen

Reactions: 7 users
Doubtful an attractive, intelligent, nice girl would date someone that pokes fun at people with medical issues... But hope you find that unicorn

I said a girl who only LOOKS like she has PCOS, not one that actually does (although I wouldn't date either). Reread my comment.

Judging by your PC outrage at my comment I bet you voted for Hilary.

Without even commenting on whether your point is valid, you have established yourself as one of the most socially incompetent people on this forum. No one should be taking advice about sexual intimacy from you.

I said a girl who only LOOKS like she has PCOS, not one that actually does (although I wouldn't date either). Reread my comment.

Judging by your PC outrage at my comment I bet you voted for Hilary.

Red or blue, considering your plans to become a medical provider, your statement is in poor taste.

Anyway, I'm sure there's someone out there for everyone, and I wish you all the best in finding that very lucky lady

OP, you never answered my question. No wonder you performed so poorly on Step 1. How are you going to be a doctor if you miss such simple things?

Man I would take that in a heart beat. Still match how I want and use them point for inches sign me up.

Without even commenting on whether your point is valid, you have established yourself as one of the most socially incompetent people on this forum. No one should be taking advice about sexual intimacy from you.

Pencil girth detected

Clearly a troll thread, but I'm going to weigh in anyway:

6'3" + freakishly tall
6'0" - 6'2" tall but still normal
5'9" - 5'11" average-ish
5'5" - 5'8" shorter but still normal
5'4" - freakishly short

so a roll of nickels isn't good enough?

Full disclosure, I'm really, really short for a male...like 5'9 barefoot on a good day (less often these days because I only get like 4-5 hours of sleep). Def another dysfunction of mine. When I scrub in surgeries I frequently need to use a stool and most of my attendings are 6'0 and up (and they lift the bed up to their height).

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed height being a factor on the wards or in the OR. Obviously being short is a deal killer for dating (ex-sorority girls seem to all have a 6'0 up rule in place these days), but has it crossed into the professional realm for any of you. Just curious.

I guess that means those individuals would exclude 85 percent of the US male adult population. The average male is 5'9". Only about 15 percent of males are 6 feet or taller.

I honestly think a fit 5'9" guy would be viewed as more attractive than a 6'2" obese male by most members of the opposite gender. Just saying. I have seen it many times in real life.

Clearly a troll thread, but I'm going to weigh in anyway:

6'3" + freakishly tall
6'0" - 6'2" tall but still normal
5'9" - 5'11" average-ish
5'5" - 5'8" shorter but still normal
5'4" - freakishly short

You play a great jigglypuff

There's been a lot of dumpster fire SDN threads but this one is pretty high up there

5'9" is "really, really short" for a male? Are you from Scandinavia or something?

I'm 5'7" and want to be a surgeon. I doubt if I get a good step 1 score, get the right experience and be a good person, PDs will take note of all that but then reject me because I'm short. It didn't stop me from getting into med school. It's all about the confidence

Height is more an issue in the way you carry yourself; Nick Saban is 5'6, and he routinely puts the fear of God into men 3x his size.

But when you're short (OP is not even short), it's more difficult to have the self-confidence you need to command respect from your peers. This tends to be less of an issue in medicine than it is in business.

Nick Saban is 5'6"?! Holy crap, I can do anything!

Except be an NBA player that is.

I'd be a freaking midget if it meant getting a 260+ and not having to get rejected endlessly by programs next year, and having to explain my insufficiency to programs who actually do let me interview. As it looks for now, I'm prob destined for Family Medicine so I guess I just take that portion of your scenario without the height. And it looks like no sorority girls for me either. This is so fun.

Are you a virgin?