Height/Weight or PT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osu2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm uncertain from reading the posts - in order to be accepted, do you just have to meet certain height/weight standards or do you have to be able to pass a PT test in order to get the scholarship.

If there is a PT test that you have to pass - what does it include? Also, where can I find a height/weight calculator online - I'm about 5'11.5'' or 6' - depending.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

You have to meet officer height and weight requirements for all 3 branches. I believe the Air Force may have a PT test as well...not sure.

Each service does height/weight different. I believe the Navy is straight Height/Weight.

The Army gives you two chances. First you do height/weight. If you don't meet requirements then they measure hip and neck circumference and use some quirky formula to come up with it.

As best I can tell the height/weight requirements for an army officer is 15 lbs above ideal body weight for those under 27 years of age, after that the numbers change I believe.

Ideal Body Weight For Men is = 106 + (6 * inches above 5 feet tall). So I am 5'10". My weight requirement is 106+60+15 = 181.

The dont' say that is how it is done....but it is pretty close. Like wise for 5'9" is 175 or so.

For Women, Ideal Body Weight is = 105 + (5 * inches above 5 feet tall).

Addendum:

The army PT test is not taken until basic (and I have heard that it isn't crucial you pass it as long as you are close). It consists of situps in 2 minutes, pushups in 2 minutes, and a 2 mile run in 17 minutes.

Not sure how many pushups and situps. Few have problems with situps, its the pushups and run (If you are a slow runner like me) that do it.

I would guess you weight requirement is about 193. The army always seems to give you a 1/2 inch.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was my understanding that when you go to MEPS for the physical during the application process, you must then pass the height/weight or body mass index requirements for your branch. As far as the PT test goes during the summer officer training course, I thought you only needed to pass the test in order to graduate with honors. But that if you did not pass you can still continue with the scholarship. (Although later on active duty you must pass it for sure...the Army recruiter I spoke to said people get booted out of their residency and made into GMOs when they cannot pass the PT test) Do I have any of this correct??

I don't know about the Navy and Air Force, but the Army requirements for the fit test vary by sex and age (lucky for me!!!)

Ed

Right now the military is rather short on physicians of certain specialties, so the PT requirements are enforced when it is convenient. However, if you are deemed expendable...ie overstaffed specialty, then it can and will be used to get you kicked out, but not before you pay back your time, or pay back your scholarship money.

At the discretion of local commanding officers, your bonuses (depending on specialty--in my case over half of my pay) can be held until you pass standards - both in weight and in performance.

Originally posted by militarymd
Right now the military is rather short on physicians of certain specialties, so the PT requirements are enforced when it is convenient. However, if you are deemed expendable...ie overstaffed specialty, then it can and will be used to get you kicked out, but not before you pay back your time, or pay back your scholarship money.

At the discretion of local commanding officers, your bonuses (depending on specialty--in my case over half of my pay) can be held until you pass standards - both in weight and in performance.

damn dude. you can put a negative spin on anything, lol.

Originally posted by Homunculus
damn dude. you can put a negative spin on anything, lol.

:laugh: :laugh: LOL They don't call me curmudgeon for nothing!!!:D

This may be late, but i just want to add some info regarding the Air Force. During the application process, when you get your physical at MEPS, you just have to meet the height/weight standards, take a eye test (I have terrible vision, but correctable so I passed), hearing test, prove you are the gender you say you are, etc. When I go to Officer Training this summer, I ALSO have to meet th height/weight requirements, which are for based on gender and age as well. Also, they check you waist-to-hip ration If you/me/anyone is ABOVE the listed weight, they are automatically sent home from officer training, discharged from the Air Force, and the scholarship is revoked. It seems like the Air Force is really toughening up on this issue. I'm rather fortunate that at 5'3", i've never weighed more than 117, and that is purely genetics. The reason they check both height/weight and waist-to-hip ratio is because is guys who are really built, their weight may look really high for their height, so BMI isn't the best measurement.

Anyway, if you are thinking AF, at 6' tall, your max is approx 206. The current chart they have on the AF HPSP website is not broken down my age, but I know they will use a more accurate chart at officer training.
I hope that was helpful.

That is really helpful information. Thanks a lot for it. I'm still working on my weight loss - I think I'll be there - I've got until next cycle (15 months+), but it's never too early to start.

Thanks again.

I'm cursed with high metabolism...I know I dont meet requirements because of my seizures........sucks but oh well...

DoctorInSpace -
Is it correct that at COT you don't have to pass the physical fitness test in order to graduate from HPSP, but only to get honors? Thanks for all of the good info!

NJEMT1,

I believe you are correct. You need to do well to get honors, but I don't think there is a real passing number. The way it looks (and I haven't been there yet) is that we have a spreadsheet and depending on how well you do in each category (1.5 mile run, situps and pushups) you get points. If your points as well as your waist-to-hip ratio points add up to a certain number, you get honors.

The AF has this new rule that doesn't seem enforced just yet that while at school, we are to exercise 3 x a week, with at least a certain number of hours of cardiovascular work. We are supposed to keep a log.....but i never remember to do that.

Hope that helps.

Thanks DoctorInSpace! Can anyone who has already been to COT confirm that in previous summers you only needed to pass the PE tests in order to get honors (and not graduate)? I am trying to get in better shape and hopefully I will be able to pass by the time COT comes around, but if I were to test at this particular moment I don't think I could... Thanks!