Heine visuoscopy polar coordinates

Started by jefguth
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jefguth

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hopefully someone can answer this for me.

Does anyone know what the scale is for the polar cooordinates (for visuoscopy) on a Heine ophthalmoscope? I haven't been able to get any definite answers, apparently it's not as intuitive as the scale used by Welsch-Allyn?
 
Polar coordinates? I have never heard of them being called that... or perhaps I blocked it from my time at ICO. I would imaging that they are standard. Each dash is one, but I have no idea.
 
Can't you just set your Ophthalmoscope 1 meter away from a wall. Turn it on and measure the sepearation between the dashes? I think most are 1 but some are 1.25.

That is if the dashes are 1 cm apart they would be 1 prism diopter.
 
Good suggestion, I don't have it home with me tonight but I'll try that tomorrow.

Anyways, the consensus I've heard from my classmates is that the first ring is two prism diopters, with each one after that representing one additional pd.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions!