Hell yeah! Didn't pass screen at VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TCIrish03

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love the wording: "The Committee does not send supplemental applications unless they are confident that the candidate will be competitive within our large applicant pool. Our committee does NOT offer reasons for this action but does suggest that a discussion with your pre-med advisor might be worthwhile."

Well, a few people thought it was worthwhile to interview me last year, jacka$$.

Members don't see this ad.

What did you do over this past year, if you don't mind my asking?

TCIrish03 said:
I love the wording: "The Committee does not send supplemental applications unless they are confident that the candidate will be competitive within our large applicant pool. Our committee does NOT offer reasons for this action but does suggest that a discussion with your pre-med advisor might be worthwhile."

Well, a few people thought it was worthwhile to interview me last year, jacka$$.

wow, way to treat your applicant's with the respect they are due, VCU, arseholes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a research tech at the Stem Cell Research Center over at UPMC/Children's in Pittsburgh. By night I play beer-league hockey.

booswim542 said:
What did you do over this past year, if you don't mind my asking?

Ouch.
Hang in there, man... there are plenty of fish in the sea!

:luck: :luck:

Wow, that's amazing you didn't pass the screen - sounds like you've been productive. Sorry to hear it and good luck elsewhere!

beaverfetus said:
wow, way to treat your applicant's with the respect they are due, VCU, arseholes.

whatever

beaverfetus said:

Perhaps they can smell whiny.

Nobody was whining, I thought it was pretty funny. Now Wake isn't the only one with the honor.

Havarti666 said:
Perhaps they can smell whiny.

missread a post made a stupid reply, I'm going to work on essays now

I think it's odd that you got it last year but not this year, unless they've initiated new criteria for the 2ndary screening, sucks though, sorry dude! :(

TCIrish03 said:
Nobody was whining,

Sure thing, buddy. It's okay, there's no need to be ashamed. We all expose our failures to anonymous strangers from time to time.

That part you bolded is really messed up on their part imo. What kinds of activities, grades/scores, do you have? I know someone who got an interview at VCU last year (technically in Jan/Feb). He took the MCAT twice, 25 both times. Didn't get an A in any pre-med classes other than phys 2 lab and orgo 2 lab. Some outside activites, but not much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, [edited for profanity], you don't seem to have a problem patronizing to anonymous strangers either. Don't call me "buddy", as I would never be your buddy were I to know you in real life. You really must be a small man with a small penis, having to hide behind a keyboard and try to talk tough. Is that the only way you can feel big about yourself? I hope we get into the same med school, just so I can nail you in the back of the head with spitballs.

Havarti666 said:
Sure thing, buddy. It's okay, there's no need to be ashamed. We all expose our failures to anonymous strangers from time to time.

I don't think you need a pre-med advisor to get the message. :idea:

Either way, if I may steal a scrubs reference:

VCU is like school in July: no class. :eek:
-Dr. P.

Keep on truckin' TC! I'm sure each of us will experience this disappointment at some point during the application cycle.

TCIrish03 said:
I hope we get into the same med school,

Sorry, done with all that. Maybe in the next life. Best of luck in this one!

TCIrish03 said:

that's ****ing mean to put it that way
man, did something crawl up those adcom's asses and die?

coralfangs said:
that's ****ing mean to put it that way
man, did something crawl up those adcom's asses and die?

How would you have phrased it?

Does anyone know VCU's criteria for the 2ndary is? This will be the first year I'm applying there, and I want to know if it's worth it.

I got the same thing. No worries. Look at it this way, they saved you around 100 bucks. I'm just hoping it's not a bad omen for future things.

What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking. If you do mind, then disregard.

Havarti666 said:
:thumbdown:

There is no reason for you to be a jerk to the OP. It is hard to get rejected anywhere. I am sure that TC is NOT the only one.

TC, dude, that is the worst! Hang in there, things will get better! :luck:

TCIrish03 said:

The rejection sucks but I think they did you a favor. It's better than them taking your $$ when they know g--damn well that they have no intention of offering you an interview. I filled out a bunch of secondaries last year in late November b/c I waited until August MCATs were out to apply (bad idea, I know). I wish some of those schools would have said "sorry pal, save your money and apply LONG before our deadlines next year". Instead they said "thanks for the check" when they knew they weren't going to interview me. I would have killed for some of the letters you got instead. Anyway, good luck with the rest of the schools you are waiting to hear from. :thumbup:

jackieMD2007 said:
There is no reason for you to be a jerk to the OP.

There was likewise no reason for TC to collectively refer to the VCU Office of Admissions staff as "jacka$$" because they saw fit not to offer him a secondary application. I reckon I'm the only one who senses the irony.

musiclink213 said:
I got the same thing. No worries. Look at it this way, they saved you around 100 bucks. I'm just hoping it's not a bad omen for future things.

For sure, at least you know they actually looked at your primary unlike the automatic secondary senders.

wow TC im sorry man. i can't believe how many d*ckheads there are on this website. good thing there are good kids like yourself, jackie, and a bunch of others. stay up man.. i hope u the best w/ all your other schools.

Havarti666 said:
There was likewise no reason for TC to collectively refer to the VCU Office of Admissions staff as "jacka$$" because they saw fit not to offer him a secondary application. I reckon I'm the only one who senses the irony.

You know, he was just venting. It is really hard to be rejected this early in the cycle. Maybe you've forgotten about that because you're already in medical school, or something, but this is a place where we are trying to support each other. Again, I'm sure he's not the only one. :cool:

Robizzle said:
wow TC im sorry man. i can't believe how many d*ckheads there are on this website. good thing there are good kids like yourself, jackie, and a bunch of others. stay up man.. i hope u the best w/ all your other schools.

I got your back, Boston Rob! Nice work on the Status Thread BTW! :thumbup: :D

jackieMD2007 said:
You know, he was just venting. It is really hard to be rejected this early in the cycle. Maybe you've forgotten about that because you're already in medical school, or something, but this is a place where we are trying to support each other. Again, I'm sure he's not the only one. :cool:

On the contrary, I remember getting shot down by multiple schools quite clearly. And if I were posting sour grapes and somebody called me a whiny little prick, I'd have blown them off, as my skin is not made of crepe paper.

Havarti666 said:
On the contrary, I remember getting shot down by multiple schools quite clearly. And if I were posting sour grapes and somebody called me a whiny little prick, I'd have blown them off, as my skin is not made of crepe paper.

It doesn't make it okay to justify you being rude to someone by calling them sensitive or telling them to toughen up. The fact remains that you're still being rude. You're not even in our applicant cycle. Maybe you should be like the other med students and be supportive instead of being insulting.

jackieMD2007 said:
It doesn't make it okay to justify you being rude to someone by calling them sensitive or telling them to toughen up. The fact remains that you're still being rude. You're not even in our applicant cycle. Maybe you should be like the other med students and be supportive instead of being insulting.

Hey, I wished him good luck, even after he wrote me this (which you have to admit is a wee bit rude as well):

"Well, [edited for profanity], you don't seem to have a problem patronizing to anonymous strangers either. Don't call me "buddy", as I would never be your buddy were I to know you in real life. You really must be a small man with a small penis, having to hide behind a keyboard and try to talk tough. Is that the only way you can feel big about yourself? I hope we get into the same med school, just so I can nail you in the back of the head with spitballs."

Well, Havarti. I didn't see that. :) That is a little rude there. But you can imagine and appreciate that since he's already upset and this is a hard time for him, that he's going to be more touchy.

jackieMD2007 said:

Don't worry, there's like how many applicants per school? You just got unlucky this time.

I didn't even apply to the school. I was just being supportive of the OP. But I am sure my rejection letters are a comin'!

The committee met
They didn't like you at all
Thanks for the money

(haiku credit floptomist)

Hey guys.. I say enough of this back and forth! People who have already been through a cycle - you know how nerve racking this can be. People who are currently in this process - you know how nerve racking this can be. So I say we all come together, drop our differences, and just help eachother out like we've BEEN doing. :thumbup:

jackieMD2007 said:
But you can imagine and appreciate that since he's already upset and this is a hard time for him, that he's going to be more touchy.

Hmmm, he claimed to think it was funny, although we both know better.

If you want to be supportive, help people put it all in perspective. Not getting a secondary from school isn't really a hard time. Getting a bone marrow transplant is a hard time. Losing all your extremities from meningitis is a hard time. Watching your brother die from exanguination because he got drunk and put his arm through a plate glass window is a hard time. Not getting a secondary from VCU is but a blackhead on the gigantic ass called life.

Havarti666 said:
Hmmm, he claimed to think it was funny, although we both know better.

If you want to be supportive, help people put it all in perspective. Not getting a secondary from school isn't really a hard time. Getting a bone marrow transplant is a hard time. Losing all your extremities from meningitis is a hard time. Watching your brother die from exanguination because he got drunk and put his arm through a plate glass window is a hard time. Not getting a secondary from VCU is but a blackhead on the gigantic ass called life.

I agree that perspective helps. As an older applicant, I feel like perspective definitely makes a difference. However, when I was 19-20, the above explanations would just have seemed like horse-**** to me because I hadn't yet experienced very much in life yet.

Everyone gets their share of ****, some of us get it earlier, some of us get it later, but I think we all get it eventually.

I think you and I just have differences in approach. Point well taken though.

So as not to make it seem I have other people fight my battles for me...

First of all, I am not mad, upset, hurt, depressed, or angry. I've dealt with failure before, and I got enough rejections last year to know how the process works. Out of 30 apps, I bet I will get at least 25 rejections before interviews at least.

Secondly, to Havarti, the reason I called them jacka$$es was because they felt the need to patronize and condescend in that last sentence. Maybe you interpreted it differently than I, but to me (and it looks like most people on this thread) it read "go rethink what you want to do with your life, because you aren't cut out for this". I don't need some admissions-stiff from a school I applied to because I needed to add a few to my list and it was statistically favorable telling me that. I just thought it was a funny show of superiority on their part, even thought their school isn't one of the mofe "prestigious" (though I'm sure it's good). Let me be crystal clear about this: Had they not included that last sentence, I never would have posted.

Finally Havarti, I apologize for my short fuse and harsh words. I went over the top, but you really didn't need to start chastizing, did you? Especially after I said my rejection wasn't a big deal. Nevertheless, good luck to you the rest of the way.

Since I edited my last post enough, I'll just add to it here.

It seems that VCU's rejection letter was blanket form and everyone rejected got the same thing. That being said, I would think more than a few kids who were rejected at VCU will go on to get secondaries and interviews from other schools. I did last year, and I would reason to think I would this year as well. Those schools don't seem to think that we needed to "have a talk with our pre-med advisors". Their language was poorly chosen; that's the only point I was trying to make.

TCIrish03 said:

It seems that VCU's rejection letter was blanket form and everyone rejected got the same thing. That being said, I would think more than a few kids who were rejected at VCU will go on to get secondaries and interviews from other schools. I did last year, and I would reason to think I would this year as well. Those schools don't seem to think that we needed to "have a talk with our pre-med advisors". Their language was poorly chosen; that's the only point I was trying to make.

Dude, we know. The letter was sh*tty. Havarti is already in medschool. I think that if the current medstudents don't have something nice to say, they shouldn't say anything, even if they are trying to give perspective. We all know you can stand up for yourself, its just that this is one of the first rejection threads for this cycle and it was sh*tty for someone to be rude.

I, like Havarti, was accepted to a med school last round. However, I don't see the point in being cruel to those starting this miserable process. Hang in there OP. While I can't say things get better from here on out, there is no feeling like the one you get when you are clutching that acceptance letter at the end of the line. I don't know what the deal is with VCU (I did not apply there last year), but if you get secondaries from other schools, it stands as proof that you are plenty qualified.

TCIrish03 said:

That what's I meant earlier - different schools have generic ways of telling students things, for VCU, I guess they use that line - as rude as it may be, maybe they didn't know what else to say...for instance, I know of one school that has two waitlists, and if you are on the "bad" one, they say "You have been waitlisted. However, you should start thinking about other plans". What's the point of having that?

Seriously, how many qualified candidates are there that apply to each school? There's a lot of ppl with the same credentials and not enough seats for everyone, you just gotta hope your lucky enough that at that very moment whoever is reviewing your file, they happen to value what you've done.

TCIrish03 said:
Secondly, to Havarti, the reason I called them jacka$$es was because they felt the need to patronize and condescend in that last sentence.

I fail to see what was so patronizing and condescending about suggesting a trip to one's advisor over calling their admissions office. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. They had over 4,000 OOS applications last year, and I'm sure every year they get besieged by disgruntled premeds who want to know why they didn't make one cut or another.

Want to know why the application process takes so long? It's cause everyone's too busy answering phone calls from people who are either pissed off or crying.

I'm sure you'd want to deflect as much of that as possible, and if you can think of a more appropriate way to phrase their letter perhaps you should recommend it to them.

When you get to med school I highly recommend you get involved with the admissions office and see things from the other side. Believe it or not, there are a lot of pure dickheads with awesome numbers who get really, really pissed when their state "safety" school detects their dickheadedness and torpedoes their respective applications.

It's kinda fun to watch, though.

NYMC MD 2B said:
I, like Havarti, was accepted to a med school last round.

Just for the sake of accuracy, I was accepted in 2001. I'm a PGY-2 now.

Havarti666 said:
I fail to see what was so patronizing and condescending about suggesting a trip to one's advisor over calling their admissions office. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. They had over 4,000 OOS applications last year, and I'm sure every year they get besieged by disgruntled premeds who want to know why they didn't make one cut or another.

Want to know why the application process takes so long? It's cause everyone's too busy answering phone calls from people who are either pissed off or crying.

I'm sure you'd want to deflect as much of that as possible, and if you can think of a more appropriate way to phrase their letter perhaps you should recommend it to them.

When you get to med school I highly recommend you get involved with the admissions office and see things from the other side. Believe it or not, there are a lot of pure dickheads with awesome numbers who get really, really pissed when their state "safety" school detects their dickheadedness and torpedoes their respective applications.

It's kinda fun to watch, though.

There is nothing to support the idea that the OP is a dick in the slightest. And go get your kicks somewhere else, not at the expense of current applicants's rejections. Havarti, its easier to see things from your point of view when you're looking from the INSIDE, out. We're looking from the OUTSIDE, in. We can vent about things if we want. I doubt that there was any "detecting" of any "dickheadedness." The pre-sec rejections at both Wake and VCU have been swift. I doubt any human has looked at files not meeting the numbers.
Why don't you go back to the allo thread? I'm sure you can impart your wisdom to your peers over there.

I think Havarthi666 works for the VCU admissions office, either that or he is playing the Im older, jaded, and wiser card. Would it have really compromised your principles that much to say Yah that really sucks? Instead you feel the need to turn it into a flame war over how you side completely with VCU admissions and not even an ounce of sympathy for the OP. There is a time to fight for your principles, I promise you now is not one of them.

Havarti666 said:
How would you have phrased it?
at least say it nicely like, we've reviewed ur application and we do not think ur profile match our blahblahblah

I'm not judging, but I don't see what's wrong with how the letter is worded. Maybe the OP here doesn't fit the profile for someone who needs to go speak to his/her advisor, but maybe most of the rejected do. I mean, if you're that sensitive about this now, this process may drain you. I've never been through it, but I've been rejected enough to know it's not the end of the world. I agree with everyone else-be happy you didn't drop $100 on their secondary, waste time with essays, and then get rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.