Hello and advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnDO

MS III
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hellooooo feelloww future DOOOO's!!!

Hey guys, looks like a great forum. I'll be looking forward to becoming part of the community. Anyhow, I need some advice.

Basically I came into my freshman year thinking the purpose of going to college was to party! I knew I wanted to be a physician, but I had little idea of what it took, and even less of an idea of what kind of impact the lifestyle I was living would have on my grades. I finished my freshman year with a 2.5 GPA :oops:

Anyhow, I got back on track my sophomore year and earned a 3.75 for the year. I'm a first semester junior now, and my GPA is around 3.24. At the end of this year I expect around 3.36-3.4 GPA come application time. I am currently studying for the MCAT (need to rock the boat come april). I'm wondering what I can do to increase my chances of acceptance into an osteopathic program.

Here's a little bit about me and my hobbies/ECs

Years of volunteering on the (general) leadership board at church
Years of guitar lessons, also music leader for the youth program at church
Tennis club for 2 years
Small business owner
Co-founded and run a scientific news/discussion website [not sure this means anything, but it does take a lot of time and effort!]
Got my EMT license over the summer, plan on volunteering

I need some advice for what I should be doing over the next 8 months till the application cycle rolls around to increase my chances of acceptance.

My plan so far is to volunteer in a clinical setting, spank the MCAT and show it who its daddy is, apply as early as possible w/ great recommendations and personal statement [not sure how much this matters].

Is there anything else you guys can think of? Any advice?

Anyhow, I look forward to contributing here! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

good luck on the MCAT. Who it's daddy is? That's a good one. Here's the truth: It is both daddy and grandaddy.

My MCAT advice is do about a thousand practice tests. Full length, timed, no cheating or repeating.

Do well on the test, do well in your classes, shadow a D.O., and start researching schools and locations. That's about all you can do for now. You'l be fine.

Originally posted by DunkinDOnut

Do well on the test, do well in your classes, shadow a D.O., and start researching schools and locations. That's about all you can do for now. You'l be fine.

I second that.

Also, your academic career thus far parallels mine...very scary.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best thing you can do for yourself is to get a very strong LOR from someone who matters. I would suggest that you pick a target school(your top choice), find a faculty member(the best move if possible) or alumni from that school, ask if you can shadow them, impress them with your wit, intelligence, and charm, and ask them to send in a killer LOR on your behalf. You could also just go and get 45T on the MCAT, screw DO, and head out to Harvard, but in the event that it doesn't pan out that way..give what I say a shot(it worked for me).

alumni from that school, ask if you can shadow

KCOM is my top choice. My LOR from a DO is coming from a KCOM alumni who has known me since I was born. My dad is also from KCOM (don't know if that means anything). I don't usually mention that to anyone because then I get two standard responses: "Oh, following in his footsteps" and "thats why you want to be a DO", which are both not true. Anyhow, I've done all my researching and I know where I want to apply.

Acceptance to KCOM is my dream, I have family nearby (milan, about 20 some miles), I love small towns and rural country, and i love their program.

Anyhow, got off on tangent there :p Thanks guys, I really value your input!