Hello and some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CT-ATU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me introduce myself, I have just recently received my EMT-Basic certifications and Im in the job market looking for work where I can use my skills. My main question is, is it possible for an EMT-Basic to work in the ER? I did ER work for my clinicals, and it was a blast, even though I prefer pre-hospital care. Secondly, if it were possible, not only would I be very limited in what I could do, but other than asessments and o2 administration, what other skills would be of worth in the ER?? Im just considering my options as I am currently between jobs. Any suggestions would be appreciated and helpful.

CT-ATU :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I know that EMT-Bs sometimes work in the ER as nursing assistants. To be honest, though, your skill set is relatively limited in terms of what you can do in an ER in terms of patient care. As it stands, you would probably be better off working as an EMT for an ambulance service, though again, you could look into the RN assistant thing. Good luck!!

Btw, you might have better luck posting this in the EMS forum.

Quid

Yes, try the EMS Forum, Reading through the various threads there should answer your questions.

But yes, EMTs can and do work in the ED. They are usually called ER Techs, very common, shouldn't be too hard to get a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason for me asking about the ER is because there no local ambulance jobs available and I dont have the finances to make a big move just yet. Im just looking into all of my options before I totally give up. Hopefully something will open up soon.

-CT

I'm a Basic, and worked in the ED as a tech for 18 mos while I was getting things in order, before I moved out here to a "foreign state" to start postbac. I'm sure I've gone on and on about it in the EMS forum; do a search there and you should get all you want and more on the topic. ;)