Hello, everyone. Chances? Tips?

Radon XP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be an introductions section on this forum, and so I'd like to introduce myself here. I am not at all trying to derail the establishment of these forums, and so I will conclude my post with high-school relevant questions, but I will open with an introduction.

I am a Texas high school student interested in pursuing a career in medicine. I'm not sure what specialty I would like to pursue yet, as I have alot of time to decide, but I would like to be some kind of surgeon. I am interested in medicine because I am fascinated with the human body, and the reactions of the human body; it is like a computer that is infinitely more mysterious than any computer man could ever develop. I am also interested in the fact that becoming a physician allows you to pursue higher education with greater purpose; and, you will serve a vital function in society; and, of course, you are well-compensated (I cannot pretend that money is not a factor, but of course, if it was the only factor, I'd go into investment banking).

I am in the I.B. program, and I am taking I.B. Chemistry and I.B. Biology SL at the same time, and intending to pursue them at the HL level. I am taking Calculus AB, as well; I am quite interested in the sciences, and I read science textbooks and science books in general even when I don't have to.

I volunteer at a hospital, and would like to begin shadowing a physician, although I am not sure how I would contact one. I participate in some E.C.'s at school too. I am a libertarian-republican politically, but I'm generally friendly with anyone who has a friendly attitude.

Now onto the questions: what do you think my chances are for the following schools:

UT Austin
Baylor University
Emory University
Villanova University
Washington University St. Louis
George Washington University

And then the high-reaches: Princeton, Yale, MIT, Dartmouth, and Vanderbilt, and Rice

I'm actually still learning about new colleges; I'm hoping to get into Vanderbilt or Rice, because I'd like to stay in the South.

My stats:

GPA unweighted 3.65
Weighted 4.3

I haven't taken the SAT yet, but I usually score in the 2150+ range on practice tests (I use Gruber's and the Blue Book to study)

All A's except for a B and a C in 8th grade, and in the first semester of my freshman year my family went through a rough patch and, although I got all A's, one of my classes (non-academic) took a hit in the grade department and it brought down my gpa. Although so far I have gotten straight A's and I am hoping to keep it up; I am hoping colleges will see this and dismiss the 8th grade grades and maybe be understanding of the first semester of freshman year

I am going to have good letters of reccomendation; one is from a long-time family associate who is also the Chief of Neurosurgery and the head of a department of physicians with whom I am hoping to shadow. The others will be from teachers who will have taught me for a good bit by the time admissions comes along.

E.C's: not many, but I am involved in all of them, and I founded a few of them as well

NHS
Young Republicans - Leadership position
Science Club - Leadership position
Latin Club - Founder
Mu Alpha Theta

And a few others.

Thanks for your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, I don't anything about fancy schools and "chances", but you have some nice stats. You seem like a smart guy who knows what he wants.

Welcome to the forums, have fun!

I don't think eighth grade grades count when you are applying to colleges, so I guess that would increase your GPA. Unless for some reason it does count...?

Members don't see this ad :)
first of all: no college looks at grades from 8th grade.

Now onto the questions: what do you think my chances are for the following schools:

UT Austin: Match
Baylor University: Match
Emory University: High Match
Villanova University: High Safety
Washington University St. Louis: Reach
George Washington University: Match
Princeton: High Reach
Yale: High Reach
MIT: High Reach
Dartmouth: Reach
Vandy: Reach
Rice: Reach

Thanks for your responses!

Thanks y'all!

As for the 8th grade bit, I contacted the folks at Johns Hopkins University (which I forgot to mention, though I'm sure it's a high reach just like HYP), and they said that they consider everything on the transcript, including 8th grade grades.

I say 8th grade because I took Algebra I and IPC in the 8th grade.

I'm a Junior, by the way.

Last edited:
I am applying for UT Austin right now, and for the most part to be accepted you must be in the top 8 percent of your class. But there is always an exception. Good Luck!

Ivy is a nice way to accumulate debt. The average medical school debt is like 130k. Undergrad tuition will be just one more thing to pay.

GPA + MCAT + ECs + LORS matter more than the prestige of the school. Sure, a 3.5 from a pub and a 3.5 from Ivy aren't equal, but the ECs you participated in tell a lot more about you as a person. It's just like getting admitted into college from high school. A kid who goes to a public high school and takes (and makes good grades) on advanced courses, is an AP scholar, and goes to Intel/Siemens is of more value to a college than a kid who leeched off his parents money and went to a 10k a year private school.

Ivys arent a bad choice if your parents make low income (like 60k household), because there are massive tuition waivers (supported by the college's endowment). But keep in mind that public universities are also funded by massive endowments, which translates into a large bio and research program.

Ivy is a nice way to accumulate debt. The average medical school debt is like 130k. Undergrad tuition will be just one more thing to pay.

GPA + MCAT + ECs + LORS matter more than the prestige of the school. Sure, a 3.5 from a pub and a 3.5 from Ivy aren't equal, but the ECs you participated in tell a lot more about you as a person. It's just like getting admitted into college from high school. A kid who goes to a public high school and takes (and makes good grades) on advanced courses, is an AP scholar, and goes to Intel/Siemens is of more value to a college than a kid who leeched off his parents money and went to a 10k a year private school.

Ivys arent a bad choice if your parents make low income (like 60k household), because there are massive tuition waivers (supported by the college's endowment). But keep in mind that public universities are also funded by massive endowments, which translates into a large bio and research program.

THE GREATEST ADVICE EVER. seriously, I have been trying to say this to all the ivy crazed high schoolers I know. Here is a continuation of the greatest advice ever:

1) Once you get into medical school, it doesn't matter where you went to college (and once you get into college, it doesn't matter where you went to hs.)
2) Which college you went to is a minute- if even existent- criterion for medical school admissions. Evidence supports this.
3) Harvard and South Central Louisiana State University use the same text books. You can learn the same things at either school.
4) EC's are much MUCH easier to get into at state U than at gunner U.
5) Debt sucks

Thanks guys!

I think the reason many people, including myself, are drawn to the Ivies is because of prestige, like you said. I know that it isn't much at the end of the day, but the prestige will surely have a positive impact on your repuation as a physician, I would imagine.

And certain medical schools, like Johns Hopkins, are supposed to be the epitome of medical schools.

For academic careers I am sure the medical school you attend makes a difference, but for getting into medical school it doesn't matter very much what college you attend (it does a bit, but not very much).

do you know how many patients will ask you where you went to college, medical school, or even residency for that matter? None.

That's a good point. At the end of the day, I don't care if I don't get into an elite school as long as it is a good school.

You better have some money for the last few schools.. As for the first one's, you'd have no problem..

Go look at the schools before you decide, it's not all about "Academic Prestige", you want to be somewhere comfortable for yourself. Also, pre-med isn't all about studying, have some fun with college and enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You better have some money for the last few schools.. As for the first one's, you'd have no problem..

Go look at the schools before you decide, it's not all about "Academic Prestige", you want to be somewhere comfortable for yourself. Also, pre-med isn't all about studying, have some fun with college and enjoy it.

I know. I actually would like to use college as an opportunity to expand and undertake further entrepreneurial ventures, in addition to my studies and my socializing.

I am considering more than just prestige. Geography plays a factor; I'd prefer a school in the South, but I do not know of many high-quality schools here aside from Emory, Rice, and Vandy.

I am considering more than just prestige... but I do not know of many high-quality schools here aside from Emory, Rice, and Vandy.

:prof: I think you missed the point of the replies. You can get as high of a quality education at 'South Central Louisiana State University' as Harvard, Emory, Rice, Vandy, etc. Therefore, prestige shouldn't be a factor. You should worry about cost efficiency most. As long as your school is accredited, provides copious amounts of extracurriculars and things, and doesn't hinder your learning abilities in any way, it is a good school. :thumbup:

I can't speak to all of the Ivy's, but I know Princeton has generous need based funding, as they want to ensure their students are not saddled by debt.

:prof: I think you missed the point of the replies. You can get as high of a quality education at 'South Central Louisiana State University' as Harvard, Emory, Rice, Vandy, etc. Therefore, prestige shouldn't be a factor. You should worry about cost efficiency most. As long as your school is accredited, provides copious amounts of extracurriculars and things, and doesn't hinder your learning abilities in any way, it is a good school. :thumbup:

I know. But, I read somewhere that prestige matters when applying to medical school.

I know. But, I read somewhere that prestige matters when applying to medical school.

It matters very little, if at all. I go to a tiny, relatively unknown liberal arts college in northern Indiana and we've had multiple grads attend HMS. Your MCAT and gpa are orders of magnitude more important. I think any of the schools you listed would give you a great education, so pick the one that feels like the best fit. Ivies sound great now, but it will feel different when you have debt hanging over your head.

For academic careers I am sure the medical school you attend makes a difference, but for getting into medical school it doesn't matter very much what college you attend (it does a bit, but not very much).

Your college DOES matter in terms of getting into med school; your med school matters a little in terms of residency; where you do your residency and fellowship will be one of the most important factors in landing a faculty position.

To all you HS students reading this, never, ever underestimate the lifelong benefits (in terms of networking and presitge) of attending a top university or LAC. Also, as someone else pointed-out, the top universities and LACs have large endowments that allow them to offer generous financial aid packages. Unless your parents earn 200k+, you'll almost never pay sticker price at a top institution

More advice here kids: there is a HUGE difference between 'SCLSU' and Rice. Rice has state-of-the-art facilites, Rice has been able to attract the best professors, the fact that the students at Rice are on average more intelligent than those at SCLSU means the professor can cover more challenging material, have better dialogue in class, etc. College is supposed to be a time when you start to mature into an adult, and you want to be surrounded by intelligent people from different backgrounds. You also want to attend an institution that has well-funded programs that allow you to engage in volunteering, studying abroad, and alumni networking opportunities.

What happens if you don't go into medicine? What happens if you want to go into law of business or grad school? While undergad name matters a fair amount in getting into med school, for other grad/professional programs, name is even more important. Don't sell yourself short: go to the best college you can

Last edited:
Brachyury and I seem to be coming from different perspectives here, but I think it's worth reiterating - your college/university does not matter if you don't take care of your end of the bargain (gpa, MCAT). State school U with a 3.8 trumps Ivy with a 3.2 everytime.

Does your undergrad institution make a difference? Yes, at the polar ends of the scale (cc vs. ivy), but when it comes down to State U vs. Private U the differences are blurred. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you "must" be in a super competitive place to get into a good med. school.

UT Austin - Almost in
Baylor University - Easy in
Emory University - Somewhat in

Villanova University - Not sure
Washington University St. Louis - Not sure
George Washington University - Not sure

Princeton - High reach
Yale - High reach
MIT - Really high reach
Dartmouth - High reach
Vanderbilt - Somewhat high reach
Rice - Quite doable

I'm actually still learning about new colleges; I'm hoping to get into Vanderbilt or Rice, because I'd like to stay in the South.

Why not UT? It's just as great and much cheaper. And undergrad institutions don't matter for med school. You could use the money you save for med school. And UT Honors is just as good as any Ivy League school.

My stats:

GPA unweighted 3.65
Weighted 4.3

Your GPA, class rank, and SAT scores could keep you out of the higher tier colleges, especially the Ivies, which 99.98% of the time only consider applicants with 2240+ SAT.

But unless you're in your senior year, you've got a great shot at improving your stats significantly. You could easily pump your SATs by 100+ and try to place yourself in the top 8%.

Your ECs look good with lots of leadership but you might want to toss in a bunch of volunteering to make yourself look better.