Hello everyone, I have a quick question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cat Nip

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have at least one interview, and am on a few pre-interview holds.

My application is strong with regards to volunteering for community service (300+ hours for a health organization) and shadowing for almost 200+ hours.

However, clinical experience is almost 0 in terms of employment and volunteering

I just got a job working as a medical scribe. Should I update the schools that have me on pre-interview holds?

Or should I wait until next cycle to add this, so it can be one of the things that would be a "improvement" since I would be a re-applicant and that would be one of the things that I could consider brand new for next cycle?

Because if I add the experience this cycle in an update, would it really be a new update next cycle?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Similar situation I had before. If i had secondaries or pre-interview essays I had received after I started scribing, I included it. Otherwise, I saved it as an improvement for reapplicant. The reason is that including it later, I was able to really genuinely include what I see, what I do, and such. When I just started, I could only guess. They asked at every interview favorite case/most memorable or what I learned from scribing in the field or myself, etc. You can bring it up in your upcoming interviews for sure as a way to say you are trying to increase your experience.

And I love scribing. I work in family medicine and it is great. It will be a hard start (if you haven't started on the floor yet), but I love it. It solidified for me that I want to be in medicine. It helps I work with some great doctors who want to teach me and help me learn, while I help them improve their documentation load.

Feel free to PM me if you have other specific questions.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Similar situation I had before. If i had secondaries or pre-interview essays I had received after I started scribing, I included it. Otherwise, I saved it as an improvement for reapplicant. The reason is that including it later, I was able to really genuinely include what I see, what I do, and such. When I just started, I could only guess. They asked at every interview favorite case/most memorable or what I learned from scribing in the field or myself, etc. You can bring it up in your upcoming interviews for sure as a way to say you are trying to increase your experience.

And I love scribing. I work in family medicine and it is great. It will be a hard start (if you haven't started on the floor yet), but I love it. It solidified for me that I want to be in medicine. It helps I work with some great doctors who want to teach me and help me learn, while I help them improve their documentation load.

Feel free to PM me if you have other specific questions.

Thanks for the help! I appreciate it.

Did it seem to help you earn interviews during your pre-interview holds?

So if I update those schools with my new medical scribe job, will it not count as much of an improvement if I had it to my application next year as a re-applicant?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes and no, depending on the school. I did that at some, but I was really able to give more details after I had been working it for some time. I feel some places really wanted to see my view on it after I had been working there longer than a month. So I at least waited to update until after I had worked it for some time. That way I could really put personal experience details in the update and not just a surface update.

And it was definitely something to talk about in the interviews. If they were with physicians rather than faculty, they loved to see I was in offices that could be like theirs really getting a feel for the doctor-patient interactions.

Hello everyone,

I have at least one interview, and am on a few pre-interview holds.

My application is strong with regards to volunteering for community service (300+ hours for a health organization) and shadowing for almost 200+ hours.

However, clinical experience is almost 0 in terms of employment and volunteering

I just got a job working as a medical scribe. Should I update the schools that have me on pre-interview holds?

Or should I wait until next cycle to add this, so it can be one of the things that would be a "improvement" since I would be a re-applicant and that would be one of the things that I could consider brand new for next cycle?

Because if I add the experience this cycle in an update, would it really be a new update next cycle?

Thanks.
Just start the job isn't going to help you. My own student interviewers will eat you alive.

Hence, I suggest applying int he next cycle IF you're shut out this one.

Reactions: 1 user
Just start the job isn't going to help you. My own student interviewers will eat you alive.

Hence, I suggest applying int he next cycle IF you're shut out this one.

Why would they eat me alive?

Also, what if saying I was hired as a scribe and been doing it for one-two months overall?

I just think I need to have clinical experience on my application to get out of these pre-interview holds. Is it rare that they would say "We put this guy on pre-interview hold because he has 0 clinical experience, but now he's got a couple months worth", interview him? (since lack of "clinical" experience may be why I'm not getting interviewed at these places.)

Why would they eat me alive?

Also, what if saying I was hired as a scribe and been doing it for one-two months overall?

I just think I need to have clinical experience on my application to get out of these pre-interview holds. Is it rare that they would say "We put this guy on pre-interview hold because he has 0 clinical experience, but now he's got a couple months worth", interview him? (since lack of "clinical" experience may be why I'm not getting interviewed at these places.)
But you don't have that experience now, right?

But you don't have that experience now, right?

For the schools I already have an interview for, it would only be weeks of scribing by the time I did an interview, but 1-2 months before their final decision perhaps.

For the schools that have me on pre-interview hold, it would probably be a couple months of experience for schools who "may" interview me. I'd send a letter directly through E-mail to those schools and not through my primary, so that I could still add it to my primary next year as a "new experience", because it still somewhat would.

I was hoping that going from "0" clinical experience to having some would make a huge difference though. If I already had tons of experience, I wouldn't think it necessary.

For the schools I already have an interview for, it would only be weeks of scribing by the time I did an interview, but 1-2 months before their final decision perhaps.

For the schools that have me on pre-interview hold, it would probably be a couple months of experience for schools who "may" interview me. I'd send a letter directly through E-mail to those schools and not through my primary, so that I could still add it to my primary next year as a "new experience", because it still somewhat would.

I was hoping that going from "0" clinical experience to having some would make a huge difference though. If I already had tons of experience, I wouldn't think it necessary.
I can't sugar coat this, we do reject people with low hours of patient contact experience. If you can get 100 hrs, then you're in good territory. Otherwise, you're simply buying a car without test driving it, or a new suit/dress without trying it on.

Love the screen name!

I can't sugar coat this, we do reject people with low hours of patient contact experience. If you can get 100 hrs, then you're in good territory. Otherwise, you're simply buying a car without test driving it, or a new suit/dress without trying it on.

Love the screen name!

Thanks!

So do you think I should update the remaining schools that haven't rejected me yet and tell them I've started scribing? I will still probably put it as a new experience on the next primary if I don't get accepted this cycle. That fine?

Thanks!

So do you think I should update the remaining schools that haven't rejected me yet and tell them I've started scribing? I will still probably put it as a new experience on the next primary if I don't get accepted this cycle. That fine?
Yes, update them, unless any specifically state they don't take updates.

Ok so:

1.) Update schools via update e-mail letter directly, similar to this: How do I write X letter? LOI, update, thank you, withdrawal, correction, status

2.) Don't update primary because I want to save the overall medical scribing experience for next cycle if this cycle doesn't lead to an acceptance

perfect?
Correct to both. Under NO circumstances should you withdraw your primary!!!

And good luck!
Read these:
Goro's Guide to Interviews
Goro's Guide to DO School Interviews
Goro's Guide to YOUR Interview Questions (2016 edition)
Goro's Guide for YOUR Interview Questions at a DO School

My apologists. ..I misread your post

Ok thanks! So you agree that updating specific schools is good, but not updating my primary until next year as a "new experience" is fine?