Hello Non-traditional med student!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holdmystethoscope

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 25 year old male, currently studying for MCAT (since April I guess), work as a Respiratory therapist. So I will start med school( if everything works out ) at the age of 27. This question is for my non traditional student doctors.

How happy are you with your choice of going to med school as a non traditional student? Working on yourself as a person, traveling, relentless studying, having a stable relationship, family, student loans so many variables. Quarter life crisis is a biatch! In need of some motivation/reality check here. In the mean time back to biochem studying. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I started at 27. I am very, very happy with my decision to do med school, but it's not for everyone. I love to work, don't have a family, and wouldn't call my current relationship "stable." Student loans suck, but they are an issue for all of us whether you are 21 or 27 starting med school. Medicine is a lifelong journey. If you tell yourself that you have to wait until after residency to "start" your real life, it's gonna be a long, crappy ride. If you can enjoy yourself through the long hours and tiring BS, then you're all set no matter what you do in life.

Also, this goes in the pre-med forum. The med forum is for current med students.

I started at 27. I am very, very happy with my decision to do med school, but it's not for everyone. I love to work, don't have a family, and wouldn't call my current relationship "stable." Student loans suck, but they are an issue for all of us whether you are 21 or 27 starting med school. Medicine is a lifelong journey. If you tell yourself that you have to wait until after residency to "start" your real life, it's gonna be a long, crappy ride. If you can enjoy yourself through the long hours and tiring BS, then you're all set no matter what you do in life.

Also, this goes in the pre-med forum. The med forum is for current med students.

Thanks Donald. I apologize for posting it in wrong forum. I do have a question for you. How do med student afford to pay for apartment, food, hanging out, vacation and stuff. I don't think my parents will be able to support me. Are you taking loans for that as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Donald. I apologize for posting it in wrong forum. I do have a question for you. How do med student afford to pay for apartment, food, hanging out, vacation and stuff. I don't think my parents will be able to support me. Are you taking loans for that as well?
Yep, loans. All loans. If you max them out a single individual could be living pretty nicely. Or, the other strategy is you eat ramen noodles and live with 5 roommates and end up with 250k instead of 300k in debt.