Hello to Everyone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Masoud309

Bec-du-lievre
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi dear SDNers. I am in the same boat with many of you guys as I'm in the process of filling out and submitting my AMCAS. Firstly, I wanted to say hello and introduce myself; This is a great forum, very impressive, honest, and informative. My name is Masoud, I'm a resident of Texas, but I really want to get out of here. I took my MCAT in Aug of 2002 and got a 30. My GPA is 3.47. EC's are pretty good, research, clinic employment, etc.. Now, with these stats, what schools *out of texas* would you recommend? I understand that these numbers alone don't say much about who I am but hey, I give you guys' opinion much more worth than those dumb computer-generated lists :)

Thanks again.
Masoud

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, welcome to SDN!

Where do you actually want to live for four years, what region? Texas residents have a great chance of getting into TX schools so you can apply anywhere that seems exciting to you, knowing that you always have your state schools to fall back on.

Thanks for the quick reply.. I grew up in a big populated city and I think that's the type of place I'd like to live in. I'm not very familiar with other parts of the states except for Texas, but I think cities like Boston, or Seatlle or even NYC would be the type of places I would like. I guess my very vague question is, what are my chances of getting into a "good" school in those types of cities? I see everyone bashes BU here, which made me chance my mind... what about UCLA, U Penn, or UMDNJ? Am I aiming unrealistically here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Masoud309 said:
Thanks for the quick reply.. I grew up in a big populated city and I think that's the type of place I'd like to live in. I'm not very familiar with other parts of the states except for Texas, but I think cities like Boston, or Seatlle or even NYC would be the type of places I would like. I guess my very vague question is, what are my chances of getting into a "good" school in those types of cities? I see everyone bashes BU here, which made me chance my mind... what about UCLA, U Penn, or UMDNJ? Am I aiming unrealistically here?

Yeah, I'm hesistant to apply to BU also. Tufts seems to be a better school to apply to, their numbers are pretty close to yours. It would probably be difficult to get into a Settle school if you are out of state. In NYC, try Einstein, NYMC, Mt. Sinai. Also, Chicago schools: Finch, Loyola, Rush may be worth checking out.

Masoud309 said:
... what about UCLA, U Penn, or UMDNJ? Am I aiming unrealistically here?
How's your math/science GPA?

Apparition said:
Hey, welcome to SDN!

Where do you actually want to live for four years, what region? Texas residents have a great chance of getting into TX schools so you can apply anywhere that seems exciting to you, knowing that you always have your state schools to fall back on.

the OP only listed a few things about himself, but from what i know about my TX peers' stats, i wouldn't consider the schools in TX to be "fall back" schools in his case .. but they should definitely be schools he should apply to in any case ..

to the OP, i hope you have outstanding recs and that your ECs are interesting and your research extensive .. write a great PS ... it can be hard to get out of TX with avg numbers (at least to a few schools you mentioned) .. if you're aiming to go to a mid-tier school, i personally think it'd be best to stay in TX b/c it's much cheaper even if you don't want to stay .. if the rest of your application can compensate for the numbers, go ahead and apply to UCLA and UPenn .. it looks to me that you're looking to get into the top tier schools .. did you go to a private undergrad?