Hello

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaysonMFK

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm new to the board, and was just going to post and say hello. I have read through the board and heard of many nurses going on to become doctors.

This is the path that I would also like to take. I am a freshman in college and considering becoming a LVN then RN then finally to med-school. I'm not in the financial situation to go straight through college and get into med-school.

I think that by becoming a LVN(1year) I can get into a hospital ASAP and start getting experience and while working move my way up until I become a med student?

Is there anything that I am overlooking? or any general advice?
Please be nice I am already aware that I am naive on alot of levels =p - Jayson

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am new here too. My name is Luanne and I work part time as an RN. The one advantage to getting into the hospital quickly is tuition reimbursement while also making a salary. I'm sure there are many pros & cons that I am not aware of, but don't give up. If you want it and are willing to work hard enough, you can achieve anything.
Luanne

Hey, thanks for the reply. I have heard of doctors being reimbursed or their med school loans being paid off but not for nurses. Can you give me anymore info on this or how i could get into something like that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Many jobs offer sign-on bonuses for nurses, and some offer tuition reimbursement. These incentives are getting more and more popular. Some university hospitals offer discounted education towards a BSN or an MSN for nurses continuing their education if they work at the hospital. You could do some light research and find tons of info on this!

That's great I had never even heard of this. I will probably give the 2 local hospitals here a call tom. Should I talk to Human Resources probably? Or is this something that I should call the school and discuss? Thanks in advance - jayson

I would talk to Human resouces, Also, talk to the nurse recruiter.
Luanne

Hi jayson!

Hi Luanne!

Welcome to the SDN!:D

Hi,
Thanks for the welcome!!! Where in NJ are you?
Luanne

There are many ways to have your nursing school paid for.

One way has already been mentioned and that is through a hospital paying for it. Usually as long as you work at that hospital for a certain period of time you don't have to pay it back.

There are also several other ways. In my state there are two loans that will pay directly to you. Again you promise a certain period of time to work in the state and you don't have to pay back the loan. Usually one year for each year they pay for.

For nursing there is also a grant that will pay after the fact for any loans you received. But you have to work in a needed area. I don't think it will include any private practice.

I can't speak for the going to medical school since I don't know much about that.

As for nursing school I did the LPN then RN because the school I went to required it. You couldn't go into your second nursing school year if you didn't pass LPN boards. I really liked it since I was then able to work at LPN wages (at the time $15/hr) while in nursing school. I was also, as an LPN, able to get a weekend option position which made it much easier to attend school.

I am now an NP and loving it. But then my state is rather autonomous with NPs.

Good luck on your endeavors.

AxisNP

Hey all,

I work for a large teaching hospital in Seattle as an RN and they also offer a great tuition reimbursement program. I am planning on using that for a BSN program this summer.
I am seriously tossing around the idea of med school after BSN but I doubt I'll get tuition reimbursement from the hospital for med school! :) "Yeah, go leave nursing and become an MD and we'll foot the bill!" hehe

Zman

Thanks again for all the great post it's appreciated =)