Hello!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanguines

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just thought I'd introduce myself here. I'm thinking of going to med school. Right now I'm in the military, with 2 years left. I work in an unrelated field. I've been a full time student (in addition to my full-time duty) at my local community college for over a year now. I've nearly earned my AAS degree, and I'm not too far away from my AS Computer Science. I'm thinking of switching course here, though, and heading for an MD or DO career. I'm still young (pushing 23). All my pre-reqs will be at a local community college, since there are no universities close enough for me to attend while I'm still in the service.

I figure I can knock out my pre-reqs in 4, maybe 5, semesters. I won't have a degree (aside from my AAS) and I'll be a bit shy of the 90 units med schools want, but I'll also be done with the military and able to go to a 4-year thanks to the GI Bill. Is it worth it to slog out a BA or BS before applying to med school? My major would probably end up being Biology or General Studies (I know, major doesn't really matter). I'd like to stay in California or nearby, and I've already got a list of schools I'd be interested in only a couple actually REQUIRE the BA or BS (both DO schools).

Anyways, hello! Friendly advice is always appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the board and thank you for your service. I live in CA and in an ideal world would like to remain in California (though, I'd consider such places as Arizona, Nevada etc.).

My biggest piece of advice for you is to make sure you get the BA/BS. You're going to be applying at a huge disadvantage without one (and most places won't even consider you). Especially since you are already applying with all your pre-reqs completed at a community college.

The other advice, try to find a physician to shadow and hangout with. This will become helpful when applying (so you can ask for a letter of recommendation).

Good luck.

I just thought I'd introduce myself here. I'm thinking of going to med school. Right now I'm in the military, with 2 years left. I work in an unrelated field. I've been a full time student (in addition to my full-time duty) at my local community college for over a year now. I've nearly earned my AAS degree, and I'm not too far away from my AS Computer Science. I'm thinking of switching course here, though, and heading for an MD or DO career. I'm still young (pushing 23). All my pre-reqs will be at a local community college, since there are no universities close enough for me to attend while I'm still in the service.

I figure I can knock out my pre-reqs in 4, maybe 5, semesters. I won't have a degree (aside from my AAS) and I'll be a bit shy of the 90 units med schools want, but I'll also be done with the military and able to go to a 4-year thanks to the GI Bill. Is it worth it to slog out a BA or BS before applying to med school? My major would probably end up being Biology or General Studies (I know, major doesn't really matter). I'd like to stay in California or nearby, and I've already got a list of schools I'd be interested in only a couple actually REQUIRE the BA or BS (both DO schools).

Anyways, hello! Friendly advice is always appreciated :)

Thanks for the reply. I'm certainly open to other nearby states, but I know the only MD school in Nevada is in-state students only except for rare exceptions. Arizona is better and those are on my list :) One of them requires the BA/BS, though...

I guess I'm in for a long haul, then, getting that degree. Well, not that long, another 2 semesters or so, but still, that's a fair amount! Thankfully, I have that GI Bill to live off of for the first few years so I, in theory, won't end up with as much student loan debt as the average student. Good times...:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll just reafferm what the other the other guy said, you'll need a BS/BA for sure.

this last thing I read on usn&WR in 2005 was only 2 people in the US got in without a bachelor's degree. also I found a site called military.com that has a section which tells you which college will transfer your credits based on your branch. hope that helps. good luck, it's a long road so plan ahead and drive on!

You're right. I was thinking Touro-Nevada. A lot of non-trads look into D.O. schools as well as they are more supportive of the route. M.D. vs. D.O. is your personal decision to make (to me it makes no difference, as I'll be giving a very high paying career to pursue pediatrics and either would allow me to fulfill my goal). But, even if schools don't list BA/BS, they all require it (the are a handful of student each year that get in without it (think less than 5 and they are superbly accomplished).

Thanks for the reply. I'm certainly open to other nearby states, but I know the only MD school in Nevada is in-state students only except for rare exceptions. Arizona is better and those are on my list :) One of them requires the BA/BS, though...

I guess I'm in for a long haul, then, getting that degree. Well, not that long, another 2 semesters or so, but still, that's a fair amount! Thankfully, I have that GI Bill to live off of for the first few years so I, in theory, won't end up with as much student loan debt as the average student. Good times...:cool:

You're right. I was thinking Touro-Nevada. A lot of non-trads look into D.O. schools as well as they are more supportive of the route. M.D. vs. D.O. is your personal decision to make (to me it makes no difference, as I'll be giving a very high paying career to pursue pediatrics and either would allow me to fulfill my goal). But, even if schools don't list BA/BS, they all require it (the are a handful of student each year that get in without it (think less than 5 and they are superbly accomplished).

Yeah, I have no opinion on the whole MD vs DO thing. I'd have no issue with being either, and, if accepted to both (ha! :p) I would choose based on location rather than program type.

I appreciate the insight on needing the degree. I have not read the statistics on admissions yet, but I can see that it will be entirely necessary. :laugh: