HELP! 27 mcat. any chance at MD, or retake?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorLacrosse

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if I'm the best person to give advice on this, since I'm also a pre-med applying this cycle.

But, I think you should go for it especially at Howard, Meharry, the newer schools and your state schools (especially if they have in-state preference). You can retake the MCAT if you'd like but make sure that you'll get a higher score but I think you can definitely apply to the schools I mentioned, get an interview and let you personality do the rest.

I actually have a similar comeback story (two crappy semesters) and I often have similar doubts about whether I even stand a real chance. But there's honestly hope even statistically there's still hope. So don't give up bro, go for it apply both MD ( if you have FAP go for the max, 15 I think, and if not maybe go for 3-5MD) and the rest DO.

I think you can succeed!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if I'm the best person to give advice on this, since I'm also a pre-med applying this cycle.

But, I think you should go for it especially at Howard, Meharry, the newer schools and your state schools (especially if they have in-state preference). You can retake the MCAT if you'd like but make sure that you'll get a higher score but I think you can definitely apply to the schools I mentioned, get an interview and let you personality do the rest.

I actually have a similar comeback story (two crappy semesters) and I often have similar doubts about whether I even stand a real chance. But there's honestly hope even statistically there's still hope. So don't give up bro, go for it apply both MD ( if you have FAP go for the max, 15 I think, and if not maybe go for 3-5MD) and the rest DO.

I think you can succeed!

thank you for the encouragement. I think that's what I'm heavily leaning towards right now.

also, good luck to you on your journey! if you ever need any help, please don't hesitate to PM me

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a chance at MD. Your low GPA doesn't help, but apply to new med schools and the historically black ones. I'm applying this cycle as well. Good luck to you!

You have a chance at MD. Your low GPA doesn't help, but apply to new med schools and the historically black ones. I'm applying this cycle as well. Good luck to you!

yeah I know. first couple years were weak. last 120+ credits are over 3.6, so hope that helps. thanks for the input though

If you can retake I would recommend you retake.

If you can retake I would recommend you retake.

I just worry I'm very late in the cycle already and a mid September to early October mcat will only make that worse.

if I'm good with DO, yet hopeful for MD, can you expand on why you feel this way? thanks!

Apply broadly and i think you will get a good number of invites. If not, consider a post bac. Your GPA may raise some eye brows

Last edited:
Apply broadly and i think you will get a good number of invites. If not, consider a post bac. Your GPA may raise some eye brows

Georgetown Medicine (M.D.) Alumni
Orthopaedic Surgery Resident
================
For medical/nursing/dental school/college essay or application review:www.fiverr.com/awebbster_1982
Like my page at: www. facebook.com/awebbmd

you think? I'm really hoping so. I feel like my outgoing, personable attitude would make me stand out in an interview. just have to actually get a couple first! haha. thank you though

Retake. Even if it's late in the cycle if you improve your score it will help with the schools you've already interviewed. And you can always add one extra reach school if you kill it and land a 35+.

Retake. Even if it's late in the cycle if you improve your score it will help with the schools you've already interviewed. And you can always add one extra reach school if you kill it and land a 35+.

how does this work though? would I just not indicate on my AMCAS that I'm retaking then just retake it? do I allow schools to screen and judge me based on the 27 knowing I'm going to retake?

1) You let some schools (lower tier privates and state schools you have a shot with) screen you with the 27. If you whole app is warrants an interview you go on the interviews.
2) Retake the MCAT and get a better score.
3) Even though you've noted on AMCAS you are retaking you call all the admissions offices that you retook the MCAT and did better and you'd really like to interview, you're a great fit, you love their school, and all the other things they want to hear.
4) Call up the schools you've already interviewed and say all the same things in #3

5) If you've really done well add a few more schools to the mix that are more selective. Call them first (the diversity office is where you should start) and tell them your story and see how they would consider you.

BTW you should call (not email) the diversity office at every school you're considering to get their take on your app before you shell out the money to apply.

BTW you should call (not email) the diversity office at every school you're considering to get their take on your app before you shell out the money to apply.

This is what I will be doing. OP , you & I are in a similar boat. I will be following your cycle to see how it plays out for you. Good luck to you! (to both of us really haha)

This is what I will be doing. OP , you & I are in a similar boat. I will be following your cycle to see how it plays out for you. Good luck to you! (to both of us really haha)

wishing you the best also! just saw your thread, I suspect you'll be okay. I woulda loved one more point on my PS score for a 28 haha. ill keep up with your story for sure

PS screwed me so bad! Hah. Wished I got 3 more points ( my avg). It is what it is.... Do you have your school list?

PS screwed me so bad! Hah. Wished I got 3 more points ( my avg). It is what it is.... Do you have your school list?

tell me about it. I got mostly 10s on practice and ended up with 8. sucks

I'm still waiting to be verified but once I am ill have it solidified, though I have a pretty good list so far. is that your final list in your thread? looks solid.

No not final but pretty close give or take a school or two.