~Help a confused student out~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otacon88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm new to the forums. I'm a senior in high school, and i thought that this would be the best place to post my question. (i know all of you are seniors in college)

I know i want to have a career in the medical field, but i am torn apart from choosing which college to go to. The two colleges i am choosing between are UMKC 6 year medical school and Boston University regular undergraduate school.
I live in kansas, so UMKC is like 10 minutes from my house.

My question is, which school would give me the best opportunity to have a successful career in medicine in the long run? also, i want to get out of the midwest, at least kansas.

Any advice would be great!! thanks a lot for taking the time to help me!

Members don't see this ad.

Some are seniors in college and some are senior citizens (like me, 34). I guess BU has a bigger name, but honestly if you get good grades, engage in some volunteer work that gives you some patient contact and do well on the MCATs -- you should be fine.

That being said, you should take all the other non-medical things into condiseration. Unless you have a scholarship to BU, missouri will be alot cheaper=less debt going into med school. Sounds like it is a guaranteed in to med school but you may want to see if it is even a med school you would like to attend.

thanks for replying gdbaby.

the UMKC 6 year med school is guaranteed. i will have my MD in 6 years and will be applying to residencies at that time. if i go to BU, i will have to do the traditional 4+4 undergrad grad and then i will get my MD. of course i have to take the MCATS if i go to BU, but i do not if i attend UMKC.

UMKC's tuition is about 30K, and BU is about 40K. i doubt i will get any money from UMKC, but i am getting around 25K from BU.

i will definatly have more opportunities and exposure if i go to Boston, so i'm guessing that would increase my chances at a good residency.

that being said, what more advice can you guys give me?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had pretty much the same decision to make my senior year....between UMKC's 6 year BS/MD and Northwestern for undergrad. My sister went to the UMKC program, so I had the benefit of a little extra knowledge. The UMKC program is not like normal state med schools in that it actually costs about the same as a private med school does per year, so cost isnt a huge issue here. The main difference would be quality of education and the two years you would save. With teh two extra years realize that at UMKC you are going hardcore every summer as well, so the amount of studying may actually be more. In terms of residencies, my sister seems to think that there is no doubt it was a negative to come from UMKC. She matched in optho because she smashed the boards and was a member of that honor society, but it is definitely much harder. That said, if you know for sure you want to be a doctor and want to gain two years on everyone else, its not a bad program. If you have any more questions you can PM me. I have the perspective of choosing the more traditional 8 year route (And actually wrote about making my decision in my personal statement), but if you use the search function there are students on SDN who went the opposite route.

I am not too familiar with UMKC. with that being said, if you are confident that you want to be a doctor, then i think you should go for UMKC because it is a guaranteed thing. four years from now, you may or may not have a hard time getting into a med school. but if i were you, i won't be willing to give up sometime guaranteed over something that's not.

Where you go depends not on the school you choose, but on you.

I'd suggest you apply to a variety of schools, and take the opportunity that speaks to you most. Make a list of what is important to you, and what benefits and sacrifices would be required, and see what comes out on top. Otherwise, you'll find very shallow recommendations from our friends on this forum. :cool:

a lot of people burn out of 6 year programs. or get really fat. seriously.

but also, what's the rush? do you want to take advantage of an undergrad education? it's really a once in a lifetime thing...to study other things, get involved in activities, make friends, join clubs, etc. do well in your classes, get involved in some cool extracurriculars/clinical work, and you'll get in just fine.

i understand the attraction of going to a six year program, but you'd be throwing away the (sometimes) really fun college years that you'll never get back. don't get me wrong, it's hard work. but what's the rush? you'll be a doctor the rest of your life.

plus, you realize how time and maturity can really help you out when it comes time for med school (not to say that you're immature, but working through stuff in college helps during those times when you're tempted to freak out in med school).

it's hard to see as a high schooler. but i really think you'd regret missing out on four years of college more than regretting having to take the mcat.

also, getting away from home might be a good thing (unless you have an important reason to stay near home, which is of course another story)

Put my vote down for BU. I think you should give yourself 4 years to determine whether medical school is right for you. I'm not trying to belittle you or anything, but I honestly have to question whether anyone in high school can REALLY know that they want to be a doctor. Here's my reason:

Here in Wisconsin, we have a "medical scholars" program in which 50 Wisconsin high school seniors are given conditional acceptances to UW-Madison's med school. All they have to do is keep a 3.0 GPA throughout their undergrad at the UW, and they are accepted to med school...no MCATs, no questions asked. I had a buddy from my HS who was accepted to this program, and I became friends/acquaintances with several medical scholars through my undergrad classes. Many of these students with guaranteed acceptances to med school decided by the end of their undergrad that medicine was not for them, and wound up doing something other than medicine.

I also had 3 or 4 friends in HS who KNEW they wanted to be doctors and changed their minds before the end of college. Heck, for 2 years in college I didn't even think I wanted to be a doctor any more. I know this is all just anecdotal, but everyone knows people like this. I just don't think any high schooler should commit him or herself to a career in medicine before they have some time in college to think about it.

(Plus, it sounds like you really DO want to go to BU over UKMC.)

i wasted my4 years in high school not doing any activities or any hobbies that were good and i regret so doing it. I'm glad i didn't go through the combined program because i would've become so one-tracked and have absolutely no personality. The biggest thing about college that you'll be missing out in the combined program is the time for e.c.s, socializing, hobbies, etc all of which will probably be the last time to develop those skills (then you go to med. school/residency/have kids and focus on them, and you don't/can't really do much for yourself for pleasure). So learn those piano lessons, or learn how to dance tango or get in shape, play those sports, pick up an art, whatever it is, undergrad will be the time before you commit your life to medicine.

well, ever since i remember i wanted to be a doctor. i have done several research internships, volunteering, medical programs, etc. throughout my high school years. I actually was a "med student" two summers ago at UMKC in a program called the Medical Summer Scholars. i got to take the exact classes and clinical rounds and all that stuff that the UMKC students do. i've also tried other professions, such as engineering, business, etc., but i found that medicine is the best choice for me.

there are pros and cons to both schools, and they are not just minor ones. for example, if i go to BU, i will have a great undergrad experience, but will also have to reapply to grad schools and take the MCATS. if i go to UMKC, i can get my MD in 6 years, but will lose out on the college experience and might have a tough time applying to good residencies. Also, UMKC is a little too close to home, which can be a good or bad thing.

thanks for everyone's input, and more advice would greatly be appreciated!

otacon88 said:
well, ever since i remember i wanted to be a doctor. i have done several research internships, volunteering, medical programs, etc. throughout my high school years. I actually was a "med student" two summers ago at UMKC in a program called the Medical Summer Scholars. i got to take the exact classes and clinical rounds and all that stuff that the UMKC students do. i've also tried other professions, such as engineering, business, etc., but i found that medicine is the best choice for me.

there are pros and cons to both schools, and they are not just minor ones. for example, if i go to BU, i will have a great undergrad experience, but will also have to reapply to grad schools and take the MCATS. if i go to UMKC, i can get my MD in 6 years, but will lose out on the college experience and might have a tough time applying to good residencies. Also, UMKC is a little too close to home, which can be a good or bad thing.

thanks for everyone's input, and more advice would greatly be appreciated!

i don't question your desire to be a doctor. a lot of people change their minds, but you might not be one of them. i knew i wanted to be a doctor in high school and it didn't change. i also know tons of people who did change their minds. my point? i don't have one so far.

so let's assume you are going to be a doctor no matter what. the mcat isn't THAT bad (and i'm not even naturally bright, i just work hard). i mean OF COURSE it sucks, but it's not impossible. and it's not a 4 year affair. you just deal with it for 6 months and then take it. i really don't think one test should make your decision for you. work hard and you'll do fine. EITHER WAY you'll have to work hard. i say please don't give up this awesome opportunity to go to college in this country. it's amazing.

one 8 hour exam and some applications shouldn't scare you away from a great opportunity. college is cool. everyone's doin it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're the type who's gung ho about school, and haven't done much in the way of socializing throughout your education up to this point, you're exactly the type of student that is perfect for an accelerated program. Which is why I'd suggest that you seriously consider the 4+4 route. The extra time for maturation, identity crisis resolution and social development are EXTREMELY important. These attributes will benefit your medical career to no end. When you are in your late teens, and early twenties, you still will have instances where you look back at yourself a year before, and remark about how immaturely you dealt with something, or conducted yourself. When it comes down to it, the extra years will help you more than hurt.

You sound like a very bright, motivated person. The profession will be fortunate to have you. Best of luck.

otacon88 said:
Hey guys, i'm new to the forums. I'm a senior in high school, and i thought that this would be the best place to post my question. (i know all of you are seniors in college)

I know i want to have a career in the medical field, but i am torn apart from choosing which college to go to. The two colleges i am choosing between are UMKC 6 year medical school and Boston University regular undergraduate school.
I live in kansas, so UMKC is like 10 minutes from my house.

My question is, which school would give me the best opportunity to have a successful career in medicine in the long run? also, i want to get out of the midwest, at least kansas.

Any advice would be great!! thanks a lot for taking the time to help me!

hey the deadline for UMKC 6yr prg passed a looooooooong time ago...you were supposed to submit application before Nov. 15th 2005--1 yr before the school yr!!! about choosing a college...choose a place you'll feel comfortable studying in...you might be leaning towards boston the way you sound about kansas :laugh:

pnasty said:
UMKC is in missouri

lol this guy is sayin he wants to get out of kansas...boston is where this guy should head unless he/she has already been admitted to UMKC 6yr prg...

ahh i see. i assumed he was already in at UMKC since he said he was a senior, i hope he is otherwise that makes this decision much easier to make :smuggrin:

if you are motivated enough to gain entry to a program like UMKC out of high school, you'll get into medical school out of college. kids who have that kind of motor will be fine wherever they go in life. take a little risk, live a little. here's betting if you don't go to UMKC, you'll get into a better medical school four years from now.

i am a high school senior and have already been accepted at the UMKC 6 year program and BU undergrad. i just can't decide which one to enroll into for the upcoming school year.. i have until may 1st to decide.

all these replies have truly helped me out a lot. keep the advice coming!

i dont know what else to tell you except i am 100% sure of the decision i made in going the traditional route over the 6 year one. i learned a lot about myself through college

I'm not that familiar with either BU or UMKC, but I am generally kind of opposed to the med scholars programs such as this. In addition to the points others have raised, I think the quality of med schools that admit alot of students straight from high school really suffers. People change alot between high school and senior year of college, and I would imagine it is difficult for admissions people to really tell which 17 year old is going to be a good 26 year old doctor; it's hard enough judging which 21 year old is going to be a good 26 year old doctor! My friends that go to med schools with a lot of med scholars say their quality is very variable.
There is something to be said for being older. Even assuming you didn't skip any grades yet, the 6 year program will make you a doctor at age 24. A doctor who has not had time to do much besides school. I think the days of Doogie Houser are past; patients appreciate a doctor who is more mature.
Do you really need a pass on the MCAT? If you are a poor test taker, then maybe the 6 year program is something to consider. However, if you scored really well on SAT and/or ACT, chances are you'll do well (with a little work, of couse) on the MCAT, so don't sweat it.
You seem smart and driven; you'll most likely be a good doctor with either choice. I think you'll be a better doctor in the long run if you go to BU.

seriously, do you want to tell your kids that your undergrad consisted of hanging out with the 'rents during the weeknights?

I am not a fan of accelerated programs but a sure thing is a sure thing. Look at all the threads here by people who did well in school, did well on the MCATs, worked hard, volunteered, shadowed, spent $5,000 on applications & interview trips and are not going to medical school this fall. Do you want to avoid being in that boat 4 years from now? In fact, 4 years from now you could be starting your clinical clerkship.

Don't believe the "no fun/weekends with the 'rents" buzz. You will be a very young "attending", with some time to pursue your interests and the income to make it happen. Be glad that one of your college choices won't have you sitting in Logan Airport on the eve of every holiday hoping to get a flight out of town.

I've known some very capable and well-rounded physicians who did accelerated programs.

Question for the OP,
If you were GUARANTEED a spot in med school after going to BU undergrad for 4 years where would you go then? UMKC--MD in 6? BU--MD in 8?

hi octacon,
it is a dilemma you're facing, although many people would been envious of either choice.

there are many more factors involved here than just what would be best for your medical career 15 years down the road. i'd advise you to try this exercise: assume in your mind that either path will allow to reach your goal in terms of residency and specialty - lay that issue aside for a moment - then make a list of pros/cons for each option. include anything you feel strongly about - maybe getting away from the midwest, having that american college experience, living in a big city, etc. i think removing that worry might help you to realize that you have truly deep feelings about some of the other factors involved.

i think that i would say to pretty much anyone i knew to go for bu. college is just such a crucial time in life for personal growth and exploration. there are all kinds of fun and exciting things you'll not have a chance to experience if you commit right now to med school. i took two years off after college before entering med school (i'm a first-year at u chicago now) and i'm really glad i did - i don't think i would have truly been ready for med school right after college, let alone what would have been after my sophomore year of college. and not in the sense of not knowing that i wanted to go into medicine - i felt quite at peace with that decision years before starting med school. it was more just coming to a place in life where i could fully focus on my studies and know that i had worked through all those early-20's life/independence adjustment issues, that i had lived that part of life fully.

life's full of great things - and for me, being a doctor will probably be one of the greatest. but not so great that i would sacrifice all the other experiences and explorations i've had since high school just to make sure i could be a doctor. take a chance and explore the world a bit! there's plenty of time for studying medicine a little later in life.

good luck to you!

@excalibur: i would hands down go to BU if i was guaranteed admission to their grad school because they have an excellent medical school.

otacon88 said:
@excalibur: i would hands down go to BU if i was guaranteed admission to their grad school because they have an excellent medical school.

dude. just freakin go to college. you could get into BU or an even better school down the line. don't sell yourself short.

then again, you could not get in at all!!! BAHAHHA
just kidding...kind of.

seriously though. there are some people who get 4.0s, 35+ mcats, great extra curriculars, and great letters of recommendation - and don't get in. but from what i can see, that's not what happens the majority of the time.

what if you get into like harvard down the line? you never know...

SpeedRacer said:
what if you get into like harvard down the line? you never know...

that's the part that worries me...i'll never know if i'll get into a good med school or residency! ahh!!

otacon88 said:
that's the part that worries me...i'll never know if i'll get into a good med school or residency! ahh!!

if you plan to stay in kansas why not go to UMKC?? you can easily get a residency in addition to a nice big fat scholarship if you commit to practice here (meaning kansas) for a couple of years!! there's actually an incentive to keep graduating docs in kansas...think about this!!

thanks for all the replies guys!! it truly helped me out a lot. after much debating and contemplating, i have finally made my decision! Boston University it is!! woo hoo.

but, i have another question: i don't know if i have been accepted into the honors program there, so will that be a negative if i'm not in the honors program when applying to med school?

otacon88 said:
thanks for all the replies guys!! it truly helped me out a lot. after much debating and contemplating, i have finally made my decision! Boston University it is!! woo hoo.

but, i have another question: i don't know if i have been accepted into the honors program there, so will that be a negative if i'm not in the honors program when applying to med school?

Good for you man! Being in the honors program will not make or break your application either way. In fact, it won't matter at all for your med school admissions as long as you have good stats. No one is going to look at an application and say, "Why weren't you in the honors program?" :laugh: