Help a fellow waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwantitbad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi sdn'ers,

I have been placed on 2 MD waitlists as of now. I am a non-trad (graduated in may 2015) applicant with a LizzyM of 70 (mcat 31, gpa>3.8). I'm currently doing basic science research during my gap year. I want to send an update to the schools I've been waitlisted at so far to show further interest, and basically tell them that I'm not goofing off. However, I don't have any new grades or a publication. What I would write about is my current research (a little more specifics of my project and what I've learned from the experience so far), volunteering that I've done since applying (>65 hours), I'm taking a coursera course, started a blog, and have committed myself to a service trip in July. Do you guys think that these are worthy updates to send to schools? I'm hoping to get a publication before april, but I can't guarantee it since it's science. I'm really freaking out because these are the only schools I've heard anything from so far. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that with update letters you really want to have something extraordinary to tell them. I don't know if any of your things count as extraordinary. Maybe @Goro can help you with this.

I don't think you have a whole lot to update with right now, either. Have you done anything with the research so far (poster presentation/etc.) or is it just going to be essentially an update saying "still working on it"? I feel like you'd be much better off waiting and updating if/when you get that pub if so.

(I also personally feel like it's better to save updates closer to when they actually might start working on pulling people from waitlists, such as in April/May or thereabouts. I don't have any support for that inclination, though, aside from just thinking it makes more sense.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do really think that this info will make the Admissions dean run out of his/her office, screaming "@gyngyn! We have to admit this kid! S/he's still doing research and started a blog!!!!!

??????

Hi sdn'ers,

I have been placed on 2 MD waitlists as of now. I am a non-trad (graduated in may 2015) applicant with a LizzyM of 70 (mcat 31, gpa>3.8). I'm currently doing basic science research during my gap year. I want to send an update to the schools I've been waitlisted at so far to show further interest, and basically tell them that I'm not goofing off. However, I don't have any new grades or a publication. What I would write about is my current research (a little more specifics of my project and what I've learned from the experience so far), volunteering that I've done since applying (>65 hours), I'm taking a coursera course, started a blog, and have committed myself to a service trip in July. Do you guys think that these are worthy updates to send to schools? I'm hoping to get a publication before april, but I can't guarantee it since it's science. I'm really freaking out because these are the only schools I've heard anything from so far. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think you have a whole lot to update with right now, either. Have you done anything with the research so far (poster presentation/etc.) or is it just going to be essentially an update saying "still working on it"? I feel like you'd be much better off waiting and updating if/when you get that pub if so.

(I also personally feel like it's better to save updates closer to when they actually might start working on pulling people from waitlists, such as in April/May or thereabouts. I don't have any support for that inclination, though, aside from just thinking it makes more sense.)
Totally feel the same way. But now I'm thinking where the OP may be coming from. Send one now and later, to show them that you're seriously interested?

Do really think that this info will make the Admissions dean run out of his/her office, screaming "@gyngyn! We have to admit this kid! S/he's still doing research and started a blog!!!!!

??????
Yea I get your point, but would it harm an applicant to show them that they aren't just sitting on their buttocks?

Schools know that you're interested in them because you sent them an app.

Will it harm? No. Will it help as the content in the OP is described? Not in my opinion.

Totally feel the same way. But now I'm thinking where the OP may be coming from. Send one now and later, to show them that you're seriously interested?

Yea I get your point, but would it harm an applicant to show them that they aren't just sitting on their buttocks?

Perhaps not, but could it hurt him/her?

In some cases a next to useless update might have the potential to, particularly at schools that arent all too receptive to updates.