Help. AACOMAS has screwed me over. Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saxophonics

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
To provide a quick summary of myself:

- 26 years old.
- 2.0 uGPA.
- Graduated in 2015 with a Bio major.
- Currently working.

Im another one of those people who royally screwed up in undergrad. I have several Cs, Ds, and Fs, on my undergrad transcript. I don't have any good reason for it. I just didn't care.

After graduating, my dad had a minor stroke. I was in the hospital a lot and got to observe a lot of the work that doctors do, and you know what? It's pretty cool. So I started on my path of redemption. I took 30 credits of upper level bio courses (classes I failed or didn't do well in). My post bac GPA out of those 30 credits is a 4.0. I also have a 520 on the MCAT.

I was getting ready to apply to AACOMAS given that grade replacement is the only logical way that I would ever have a chance. But sadly that's gone now and so are my dreams of being a doctor it seems. Unless there's something else I can do to get past this? Help!

Members don't see this ad.

To provide a quick summary of myself:

- 26 years old.
- 2.0 uGPA.
- Graduated in 2015 with a Bio major.
- Currently working.

Im another one of those people who royally screwed up in undergrad. I have several Cs, Ds, and Fs, on my undergrad transcript. I don't have any good reason for it. I just didn't care.

After graduating, my dad had a minor stroke. I was in the hospital a lot and got to observe a lot of the work that doctors do, and you know what? It's pretty cool. So I started on my path of redemption. I took 30 credits of upper level bio courses (classes I failed or didn't do well in). My post bac GPA out of those 30 credits is a 4.0. I also have a 520 on the MCAT.

I was getting ready to apply to AACOMAS given that grade replacement is the only logical way that I would ever have a chance. But sadly that's gone now and so are my dreams of being a doctor it seems. Unless there's something else I can do to get past this? Help!

Is the 2.0 uGPA with your 30 credit hour post-bacc? What's your sGPA? There are still several schools that offer grade replacement - you'll have to do some research/calling to determine which ones, whether it be a full grade replacement, or a limited grade replacement depends on the school. That said, depending on your GPA, you might be automatically screened out from most schools, and though things seem bleak, the road to becoming a physician isn't a race, meaning if becoming a physician is truly your dreams, then it'll happen, it just might take a few more years of post-bacculeaurate classes and perhaps a SMP.

Is the 2.0 uGPA with your 30 credit hour post-bacc? What's your sGPA? There are still several schools that offer grade replacement - you'll have to do some research/calling to determine which ones, whether it be a full grade replacement, or a limited grade replacement depends on the school. That said, depending on your GPA, you might be automatically screened out from most schools, and though things seem bleak, the road to becoming a physician isn't a race, meaning if becoming a physician is truly your dreams, then it'll happen, it just might take a few more years of post-bacculeaurate classes and perhaps a SMP.

Yes the 2.0 gpa is with the post bac.

And life IS a race. That's the way I was brought up. People who finish everything and settle down earlier in life are better than those who don't. I've proved to myself through my post bac that I am capable of doing well in school and my MCAT score also gives me confidence with that. I don't have time or money to keep taking more classes and do an SMP. The only thing more sad than starting med school at 27 would be starting med school at 30. Most people that age are already attendings or are close too it. Not first year medical students. Moreover that's not a viable option for people who want to get married and have a family before 40 (which I intend to do).

Which schools still do grade replacement? My GPA will be significantly higher if I focus just on those schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you've already defeated yourself then. I never advocate giving up, but you've already done most of the work in convincing yourself you're never going to be a physician, so what can I say?

If starting school at 30 is sad, then a lot of people (especially those on this subforum, myself included) live downright melancholy lives. Not quite as sad as the person that just threw in the towel (with a 98th percentile MCAT). That's the saddest of them all. Hopefully you won't look back at 60, thinking you just should have sucked it up and worked an extra two-three years to get into med school. That would be depressing.

AZCOM does grade replacement yet, I believe. And there are some others. I would suggest checking out the pre-DO board and looking at the stickies regarding the AACOMAS changes.

Seriously, I hope you get in. It would suck to be the guy that did better than ~63,000 other people that took an exam that ends up doing something menial.

That being said, I'm not sure I would want you in my class. Tons of potential, but a really crappy attitude.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users

And life IS a race. That's the way I was brought up. People who finish everything and settle down earlier in life are better than those who don't. I've proved to myself through my post bac that I am capable of doing well in school and my MCAT score also gives me confidence with that.

That's a terrible attitude to approach applying to medical school with. You need to face the facts that although you have proved to yourself that you are capable of succeeding, you have yet to prove yourself to the schools that may possibly invest in your future medical education and that you may not get in. (Loosely speaking, approximately 40% of applicants get in.)

That said, I truly hope you get in and here's a thread regarding some schools that still do grade replacement. You'll also do well in emailing or calling the admissions office for each DO school to see what their policy is on grade replacement, as I'm sure not every school was listed in the aforementioned thread. Compilation thread of DO schools that still practice grade recalculation for the 2017-2018 cycle

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like you've already defeated yourself then. I never advocate giving up, but you've already done most of the work in convincing yourself you're never going to be a physician, so what can I say?

If starting school at 30 is sad, then a lot of people (especially those on this subforum, myself included) live downright melancholy lives. Not quite as sad as the person that just threw in the towel (with a 98th percentile MCAT). That's the saddest of them all. Hopefully you won't look back at 60, thinking you just should have sucked it up and worked an extra two-three years to get into med school. That would be depressing.

AZCOM does grade replacement yet, I believe. And there are some others. I would suggest checking out the pre-DO board and looking at the stickies regarding the AACOMAS changes.

Seriously, I hope you get in. It would suck to be the guy that did better than ~63,000 other people that took an exam that ends up doing something menial.

That being said, I'm not sure I would want you in my class. Tons of potential, but a really crappy attitude.

Good luck!

Yea sucks to be you. I would hate having to wait till I'm 40 to get married and start a family. And before you reply with something like "tons of people get married in med school or residency". Those people are fools. I don't want to get married in a cardboard box as I would have too since I would have no money and feed my kids ramen noodles as a resident and never see them because I'm in the hospital for 80 hours a week.

I hope I get in too. Worst case I'll just go to the Caribbean. I just want to do internal, nothing fancy.

Dying patients don't care about your attitude towards life. Potential is what saves lives.

That's a terrible attitude to approach applying to medical school with. You need to face the facts that although you have proved to yourself that you are capable of succeeding, you have yet to prove yourself to the schools that may possibly invest in your future medical education and that you may not get in. (Loosely speaking, approximately 40% of applicants get in.)

That said, I truly hope you get in and here's a thread regarding some schools that still do grade replacement. You'll also do well in emailing or calling the admissions office for each DO school to see what their policy is on grade replacement, as I'm sure not every school was listed in the aforementioned thread. Compilation thread of DO schools that still practice grade recalculation for the 2017-2018 cycle

No its not a terrible attitude actually. It's just how life works in 2017. Status, money, and age matters. I'm looking at schools that award reinvention. I'm sure I'm a good candidate with my MCAT and my post bac GPA, or worst case I just go to SGU next year itself.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea sucks to be you. I would hate having to wait till I'm 40 to get married and start a family. And before you reply with something like "tons of people get married in med school or residency". Those people are fools. I don't want to get married in a cardboard box as I would have too since I would have no money and feed my kids ramen noodles as a resident and never see them because I'm in the hospital for 80 hours a week.

I hope I get in too. Worst case I'll just go to the Caribbean. I just want to do internal, nothing fancy.

Dying patients don't care about your attitude towards life. Potential is what saves lives.

No its not a terrible attitude actually. It's just how life works in 2017. Status, money, and age matters. I'm looking at schools that award reinvention. I'm sure I'm a good candidate with my MCAT and my post bac GPA, or worst case I just go to SGU next year itself.

Don't get salty. Looks like you've already decided what to do ...why did you ask if you take advice badly?

Don't get salty. Looks like you've already decided what to do ...why did you ask if you take advice badly?

I was just curious as to how useful it would be but its apparently not.

If you view it from a financial standpoint, going to medical school in the Caribbean will cost you > $500,000, meanwhile the average debt of US medical students is around 200-250,000. The difference in cost could be invested towards post-bacc, SMP, for 2-3 years and still be much cheaper than going to SGU. Further, by attending a US MD/DO, you will heavily increase your chances during match, even if you're aiming for IM. Additionally, you would save thousands and also save yourself from a lot of stress when it comes to years 3 and 4 when you have to move to new cities, find 2-3 month leases, etc. for rotations.

Although hurling personal insults at each other in a flame war is appealing, I'd prefer not to. I wasn't aware it sucked to be me. I'm leaving a well-paying, stable career to pursue my goals. With my wife and son and their full support. We certainly don't live in a cardboard box, and I haven't eaten ramen noodles since my first year of undergrad.

Please do go to the Caribbean. They love people with more confidence than humility. For someone brought up to think that "life is a race", it must be very disappointing to be clinging to the hope to get into a foreign medical school. I can understand where your inner conflict comes from, so I won't hold it against you. Since money is obviously very, very important to you: enjoy paying off that 3/4 million dollar debt as an internist. You're showing your lack of foresight and real-world experience by thinking you'll be doing all these "dying patients" a valuable service with all your "potential". Most patients you would see as an internal medicine physician would not be, in fact, dying. And the last thing a truly dying patient needs is some pretentious FMG telling them they didn't live their life appropriately because their priorities weren't in line with your own personal preferences.

Seriously: do yourself and every potential patient of yours a huge favor and mature a little bit before trying to get into school. Hopefully this is just a troll account, because I honestly don't know anyone arrogant enough to come onto a message board and ask for advice with such a defeatist attitude, then lash out at those that are making steps to realize their goals.

Reactions: 2 users

And life IS a race. That's the way I was brought up. People who finish everything and settle down earlier in life are better than those who don't. I've proved to myself through my post bac that I am capable of doing well in school and my MCAT score also gives me confidence with that. I don't have time or money to keep taking more classes and do an SMP. The only thing more sad than starting med school at 27 would be starting med school at 30. Most people that age are already attendings or are close too it. Not first year medical students. Moreover that's not a viable option for people who want to get married and have a family before 40 (which I intend to do).

Which schools still do grade replacement? My GPA will be significantly higher if I focus just on those schools.

Yes you are sad. Or just a troll. Either way, tough luck to ya.

Although hurling personal insults at each other in a flame war is appealing, I'd prefer not to. I wasn't aware it sucked to be me. I'm leaving a well-paying, stable career to pursue my goals. With my wife and son and their full support. We certainly don't live in a cardboard box, and I haven't eaten ramen noodles since my first year of undergrad.

Please do go to the Caribbean. They love people with more confidence than humility. For someone brought up to think that "life is a race", it must be very disappointing to be clinging to the hope to get into a foreign medical school. I can understand where your inner conflict comes from, so I won't hold it against you. Since money is obviously very, very important to you: enjoy paying off that 3/4 million dollar debt as an internist. You're showing your lack of foresight and real-world experience by thinking you'll be doing all these "dying patients" a valuable service with all your "potential". Most patients you would see as an internal medicine physician would not be, in fact, dying. And the last thing a truly dying patient needs is some pretentious FMG telling them they didn't live their life appropriately because their priorities weren't in line with your own personal preferences.

Seriously: do yourself and every potential patient of yours a huge favor and mature a little bit before trying to get into school. Hopefully this is just a troll account, because I honestly don't know anyone arrogant enough to come onto a message board and ask for advice with such a defeatist attitude, then lash out at those that are making steps to realize their goals.

You know what most patients don't really care about? Where their doctor went to med school. And last I checked cardiology is among the 3 highest paid medical specialties, so paying off that debt shouldn't be an issue. But thanks for your concern.

EDIT: I'm sorry I guess I shouldn't have said that your child will only eat Ramen. That was insensitive of me, please accept my apologies. Perhaps your wife is a physician or someone equally wealthy and successful. But if thats not the case, we all know of course that as a med student and soon to be resident you are living a very comfortable lifestyle that can accommodate a wife and child that is in par with how the lifestyles are for most people your age.......give me a break.

Last edited:
Please keep this discussion civil.

OP, as others have said, your GPA is currently too low to be competitive for medical school at any school that does not do grade replacement. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, this is now most of them. To maximize your competitiveness and school options, you should either continue taking classes to get your UG cGPA above a 3.0, or you should consider doing an SMP, preferably one that has a linked medical school. Given your MCAT score and post bac performance thus far, and given that it would probably take you several more years to overcome that low previous GPA, doing an SMP is probably your quickest way to get yourself academically competitive for medical school. Don't forget also that you need to be shadowing, volunteering, or otherwise gaining experience in a health care setting while you do your GPA repair. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know what most patients don't really care about? Where their doctor went to med school. And last I checked cardiology is among the 3 highest paid medical specialties, so paying off that debt shouldn't be an issue. But thanks for your concern.

EDIT: I'm sorry I guess I shouldn't have said that your child will only eat Ramen. That was insensitive of me, please accept my apologies. Perhaps your wife is a physician or someone equally wealthy and successful. But if thats not the case, we all know of course that as a med student and soon to be resident you are living a very comfortable lifestyle that can accommodate a wife and child that is in par with how the lifestyles are for most people your age.......give me a break.

Fortunately, "most people my age" have absolutely nothing to do with the comfort of MY lifestyle. But obviously nothing constructive will come out of this, so I'm just gonna take Q's advice and keep it civil by bowing out. Hopefully you end up making lots and lots of money and settling down as young as possible.

Please keep this discussion civil.

OP, as others have said, your GPA is currently too low to be competitive for medical school at any school that does not do grade replacement. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, this is now most of them. To maximize your competitiveness and school options, you should either continue taking classes to get your UG cGPA above a 3.0, or you should consider doing an SMP, preferably one that has a linked medical school. Given your MCAT score and post bac performance thus far, and given that it would probably take you several more years to overcome that low previous GPA, doing an SMP is probably your quickest way to get yourself academically competitive for medical school. Don't forget also that you need to be shadowing, volunteering, or otherwise gaining experience in a health care setting while you do your GPA repair. Best of luck to you.

Yea or I just go to SGU and get it over with instead of starting med school when I'm an old fart.

Fortunately, "most people my age" have absolutely nothing to do with the comfort of MY lifestyle. But obviously nothing constructive will come out of this, so I'm just gonna take Q's advice and keep it civil by bowing out. Hopefully you end up making lots and lots of money and settling down as young as possible.

Yes you should feel proud of yourself that you can't provide the level of comfort to your child that most people your age are able too. You should also feel very proud that the younger students in your class will be living a much better lifestyle than you by your age. Good luck.

Yea or I just go to SGU and get it over with instead of starting med school when I'm an old fart.

Yes you should feel proud of yourself that you can't provide the level of comfort to your child that most people your age are able too. You should also feel very proud that the younger students in your class will be living a much better lifestyle than you by your age. Good luck.

We're just here to give our two cents - ultimately, the choice is yours, just know what you're getting into before diving head first into it.

Enough with the toxicity - life isn't a competition, especially not with others who are striving towards the same goal. It makes no difference whether your realize your dream at 20, 30, or 40, particularly because we're in it for our (future) patients.

Common, this guy is obviously a troll.

If you have a 2.0 with your 4.0 postbac, then that means you graduated with a 1.5-1.7. I never heard of any accredited school that would allow someone to graduate with a sub 2.0.

There were only 2 applicants last year with a sub 2.2 GPA and a 518+ MCAT.

My guess is OP did poorly in undergrad and is wanting to know what his chances are with a killer MCAT and a great postbac. Unfortunately, he is not getting the "you can do it" advice he was looking for and now he is just attacking everyone who tells him he has no shot with his current stats.

Sad to say this but if OP's stats were correct, he would be one of the few exceptions and should give the Caribbean a shot since it's his only hope to get into med school within the next 4 years.

Common, this guy is obviously a troll.

If you have a 2.0 with your 4.0 postbac, then that means you graduated with a 1.5-1.7. I never heard of any accredited school that would allow someone to graduate with a sub 2.0.

There were only 2 applicants last year with a sub 2.2 GPA and a 518+ MCAT.

My guess is OP did poorly in undergrad and is wanting to know what his chances are with a killer MCAT and a great postbac. Unfortunately, he is not getting the "you can do it" advice he was looking for and now he is just attacking everyone who tells him he has no shot with his current stats.

Sad to say this but if OP's stats were correct, he would be one of the few exceptions and should give the Caribbean a shot since it's his only hope to get into med school within the next 4 years.

I apologize, I miscalculated my numbers. My GPA is a 2.0 WITHOUT the post-bac credits. With my postbac, my GPA is a 2.23 :).

I think my chances are much higher because of the fact - as you said - that I have a KILLER MCAT (probably better than yours) and a great post-bac GPA. I'm sure there's a school out there that would be willing to overlook my undergraduate performance based on that. But if that's not the case, I can always head to SGU next year itself, not 4 years later. But thanks for your concern honey.

We're just here to give our two cents - ultimately, the choice is yours, just know what you're getting into before diving head first into it.

Enough with the toxicity - life isn't a competition, especially not with others who are striving towards the same goal. It makes no difference whether your realize your dream at 20, 30, or 40, particularly because we're in it for our (future) patients.

Maybe because your culture doesn't care your so indifferent. In my culture there is no pride in becoming a doctor at 40 or 50. People don't care, and that's just sad. I'm already far behind the race. Perhaps if you did think of life as a competition, you would be an attending by now living a much better lifestyle like most other people your age. Sad.

This is ridiculous. This guy has to be a troll.

If you are for real, you really need to relax. There's simply no need to lash at all these people trying to give you genuine advice.

You already seem set on going to the Caribbean, so there's no need to discuss your situation any further. With your 4.0 30 credit post-bacc and your 520 MCAT, you should be fine. Obviously, you have the work ethic and intellectual capacity to succeed. I definitely suggest working on your attitude, though.

With your logic, I should smite you down as a failure already. I'm only 21, on track to graduate with a bachelor's next year, and will most likely attend medical school ON TRACK at the age of 22. I'll be done with medical school at the age of 26, and be done with my residency before the age of 30 (given I choose IM). I'll be settled down, making 6 figures, and have a family at around 30 years old. You will be NOT be doing the same. What a failure!

It doesn't feel good, now does it? Humble yourself. It'll do you good.

I apologize, I miscalculated my numbers. My GPA is a 2.0 WITHOUT the post-bac credits. With my postbac, my GPA is a 2.23 :).

I think my chances are much higher because of the fact - as you said - that I have a KILLER MCAT (probably better than yours) and a great post-bac GPA. I'm sure there's a school out there that would be willing to overlook my undergraduate performance based on that. But if that's not the case, I can always head to SGU next year itself, not 4 years later. But thanks for your concern honey.
How many credits did you take in your undergrad?

This is ridiculous. This guy has to be a troll.

If you are for real, you really need to relax. There's simply no need to lash at all these people trying to give you genuine advice.

You already seem set on going to the Caribbean, so there's no need to discuss your situation any further. With your 4.0 30 credit post-bacc and your 520 MCAT, you should be fine. Obviously, you have the work ethic and intellectual capacity to succeed. I definitely suggest working on your attitude, though.

With your logic, I should smite you down as a failure already. I'm only 21, on track to graduate with a bachelor's next year, and will most likely attend medical school ON TRACK at the age of 22. I'll be done with medical school at the age of 26, and be done with my residency before the age of 30 (given I choose IM). I'll be settled down, making 6 figures, and have a family at around 30 years old. You will be NOT be doing the same. What a failure!

It doesn't feel good, now does it? Humble yourself. It'll do you good.

I am a failure. I never said I wasn't. If I was truly a worthy human being I wouldn't be so far behind everyone else I know in this race. My point being spending additional years outside of med school will only lengthen the amount of time that I'm a failure. Going to the Caribbean reduces that time.

How many credits did you take in your undergrad?

PM me your address. I'll mail you all of my transcripts so that you can have all the information you need right at your fingertips.

I am a failure. I never said I wasn't. If I was truly a worthy human being I wouldn't be so far behind everyone else I know in this race. My point being spending additional years outside of med school will only lengthen the amount of time that I'm a failure. Going to the Caribbean reduces that time.

You completely missed the point. The point is that your logic/mindset is completely wrong. You should not approach medical school or even life as a race, and you definitely shouldn't call older individuals "failures" for pursuing medical school and achieving their dream. Instead, they should be commended for their efforts. What they are doing is much harder than what I'm doing. I am still a dependent, don't have to worry about insurance, mortgages, etc. They are juggling SO MANY things and are still able to attend medical school. That is success right there.

Also, what is your background? I personally come from an extremely strict Asian background. I have many Indian and Arab friends with extremely strict backgrounds/cultures as well. I have never heard of a culture that views people that become a doctor in their 40's/50's as failures. Where do you even get this stuff from? Take a step back, and try to readjust your perspective.

You completely missed the point. The point is that your logic/mindset is completely wrong. You should not approach medical school or even life as a race, and you definitely shouldn't call older individuals "failures" for pursuing medical school and achieving their dream. Instead, they should be commended for their efforts. What they are doing is much harder than what I'm doing. I am still a dependent, don't have to worry about insurance, mortgages, etc. They are juggling SO MANY things and are still able to attend medical school. That is success right there.

Also, what is your background? I personally come from an extremely strict Asian background. I have many Indian and Arab friends with extremely strict backgrounds/cultures as well. I have never heard of a culture that views people that become a doctor in their 40's/50's as failures. Where do you even get this stuff from? Take a step back, and try to readjust your perspective.

Exactly, the fact that your dependent and don't have to worry about insurance or mortgages makes you much smarter and better than people like me or people older than me juggling multiple things while in med school. Which do you think is objectively better? The 21 year old kid with no real worries or some 30 year old with a wife and a house and struggling to pay that off while living off student loans. There's nothing inspirational about that, besides inspiring people on what NOT to do. Seriously what else would you call that besides a failure?

Life is a race kid. Which is why your going to med school at 22 and not 32. And I am Indian. Most of my friends and family my age or older are almost finished with their residencies and here I am. I only know of 2 Indian people who went to med school in their 30s, I've heard a lot of people from my community talk very badly about them for that.

This reminds me of this post
Need advice. Would you do this?

Guy asks about his chances and says he's great at taking criticism. Proceeds to bash an adcom because said adcom did not give him a thumbs up on his chances.

I really like the OP in that thread. Props to him. He's a total failure, but still kudos on him for taking the heat.

Maybe because your culture doesn't care your so indifferent. In my culture there is no pride in becoming a doctor at 40 or 50. People don't care, and that's just sad. I'm already far behind the race. Perhaps if you did think of life as a competition, you would be an attending by now living a much better lifestyle like most other people your age. Sad.

Here comes the ban hammer.

Also, I don't understand your point... I'm 22, just graduated, and am attending medical school next year. Though I've never explicitly said it, pardon me if I think I'm doing well for my age?

Here comes the ban hammer.

Also, I don't understand your point... I'm 22, just graduated, and am attending medical school next year. Though I've never explicitly said it, pardon me if I think I'm doing well for my age?

I thought you were a non-trad like me, aka a failure. Since your 22, your obviously not.

I thought you were a non-trad like me, aka a failure. Since your 22, your obviously not.
Ah yes. Since I am days away from starting MS2 and you have a college degree with a 2.3 GPA, I am the obvious failure here.

Ah yes. Since I am days away from starting MS2 and you have a college degree with a 2.3 GPA, I am the obvious failure here.
His desire to rush through everything is most likely the reason for his GPA. He's not ready for the discipline, rigor, and dedication that medical school requires.