Help/Advice on what bs-dds/dmd program to pick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hellothere2021

Reaction score
Hi, I am a senior in high school with a dilemma on what bs-dds/dmd program to choose?
I have been accepted into NovaSoutheastern 4+4,Pacific 2+3 bs dds,UPitt GAP 4+4 dental, and have received an interview from CWRU 3+4.
I have personally narrowed it down to Pacific and UPitt but I am unsure. Any pieces of advice and suggestions on where to go would be very helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

Look into the price tag, where you would like to live/work, check into their programs to see how their school/clinic is.. lots of school specific threads have students commenting on their own experiences and what to expect.. Price is probably one of the biggest issues when it comes to choosing an education, especially when choosing school A over school B which can save you $$$,$$$ in the end. Don't get caught up in all of the extra garbage that many people think is important when it really isn't

Hi, I am a senior in high school with a dilemma on what bs-dds/dmd program to choose?
I have been accepted into NovaSoutheastern 4+4,Pacific 2+3 bs dds,UPitt GAP 4+4 dental, and have received an interview from CWRU 3+4.
I have personally narrowed it down to Pacific and UPitt but I am unsure. Any pieces of advice and suggestions on where to go would be very helpful?
what is your state of residency, and where do you plan to practice after you graduate?

Members don't see this ad :)
what is your state of residency, and where do you plan to practice after you graduate?
My state of residency is Maryland. I plan to hopefully practice in either MD or California after I graduate.

Pacific is 2+3 for a BS and DDS? 5 years!? Versus the traditional 8 years at Pitt?

you could be a practicing dentist by 23. That’s pretty crazy.

Look into the price tag, where you would like to live/work, check into their programs to see how their school/clinic is.. lots of school specific threads have students commenting on their own experiences and what to expect.. Price is probably one of the biggest issues when it comes to choosing an education, especially when choosing school A over school B which can save you $$$,$$$ in the end. Don't get caught up in all of the extra garbage that many people think is important when it really isn't
Price wise it goes Pacific,Pitt,Novasoutheastern, and Case western(From least to greatest). Although pacific is extremely pricey it does allow for three extra years of income so therefore it does come out cheaper. I would like to come back to my home state of Maryland to practice.Another question that I also have is which program would offer me a greater chance to specialize if I wanted to?

Price wise it goes Pacific,Pitt,Novasoutheastern, and Case western(From least to greatest). Although pacific is extremely pricey it does allow for three extra years of income so therefore it does come out cheaper. I would like to come back to my home state of Maryland to practice.Another question that I also have is which program would offer me a greater chance to specialize if I wanted to?
gotchya gotchya..regarding specialization, you can do that from any school of your choice. Just gotta work hard and hit the ground running. If you are wanting to specialize, I'd try to attend a school that has those residency programs so that you can shadow and get to know the residents/faculty. If you wanna become the best GP you can be, attend a school without those programs so that you don't get the cases that trickled down through the cracks and aren't as extensive and complicated.. make sense?

gotchya gotchya..regarding specialization, you can do that from any school of your choice. Just gotta work hard and hit the ground running. If you are wanting to specialize, I'd try to attend a school that has those residency programs so that you can shadow and get to know the residents/faculty. If you wanna become the best GP you can be, attend a school without those programs so that you don't get the cases that trickled down through the cracks and aren't as extensive and complicated.. make sense?
Yeah it does make sense. Thanks for the quick responses.So with that logic Pacific would be the best choice?

Pacific is 2+3 for a BS and DDS? 5 years!? Versus the traditional 8 years at Pitt?

I don't understand how they could squeeze in that much into 5 years only. It must be extremely hard no?

I don't understand how they could squeeze in that much into 5 years only. It must be extremely hard no?
Yeah, you’ll probably be very busy for the 5 years. Very busy. Going from high school where you probably hardly study to full time class and studying. It’s obviously doable but will likely lend itself to a very different college experience than most kids have.

do they have a course list for your first two years? I’d be very interested to see what they do in the two years.

Last edited:
Yeah, you’ll probably be very busy for the 5 years. Very busy. Going from high school where you probably hardly study to full time class and studying. It’s obviously doable but will likely lend itself to a very different college experience than most kids have.

do they have a course list for your first two years? I’d be very interested to see what they do in the two years.

First-Year Fall​

1. BIOL 51 - Principles of Biology
  2. CHEM 25 - General Chemistry
  3. Pacific Seminar I
  4. General Education Course (one course per Category 1A, 1B, 1C, 2C or 3B)

First-Year Spring​

1. BIOL 61 - Principles of Biology
  2. CHEM 27 - General Chemistry
  3. Pacific Seminar II
(Most students take Organic Chemistry in the summer while studying for the DAT)

Second-Year Fall​

1. CHEM 121 - Organic Chemistry
  2. PHYS 23 - General Physics
  3. Biology Elective

Second-Year Spring​

1. CHEM 123 - Organic Chemistry
  2. PHYS 25 - General Physics
  3. General Education Course (one course per Category 1A, 1B, 1C, 2C or 3B)

Here is the the course plan for the first two years

i know someone who was likely one of the youngest orthodontists in america at the time...

First-Year Fall​

1. BIOL 51 - Principles of Biology
  2. CHEM 25 - General Chemistry
  3. Pacific Seminar I

First-Year Spring​

1. BIOL 61 - Principles of Biology
  2. CHEM 27 - General Chemistry
  3. Pacific Seminar II
(Most students take Organic Chemistry in the summer while studying for the DAT)

Second-Year Fall​

1. CHEM 121 - Organic Chemistry
  2. PHYS 23 - General Physics
  3. Biology Elective

Second-Year Spring​

1. CHEM 123 - Organic Chemistry
  2. PHYS 25 - General Physics
  3. General Education Course (one course per Category 1A, 1B, 1C, 2C or 3B)

Here is the the course plan for the first two years
If you are squeezing a BS in two years, it's hard to believe that is all you need for the two years. A BS requires 120 credits.

If you are squeezing a BS in two years, it's hard to believe that is all you need for the two years. A BS requires 120 credits.
dental school credits can apply to your BS...

Any dental credit that is used for the BS cannot be used towards dental school credit. So there is still a discrepancy. You can't double dip.

I did a quick search quick search. I believe you graduate with an associates degree and all the prereqs for dental school. Because some dental schools do not require a BS degree, you will still be eligible to apply to those programs.

I did a quick search quick search. I believe you graduate with an associates degree and all the prereqs for dental school. Because some dental schools do not require a BS degree, you will still be eligible to apply to those programs.
I don't believe that you complete a BS degree at the UOP 2+3 Program. You just do pre-reqs to get into the dental school, and my understanding is that you are basically just going into UOP's dental school right after your two year pre-reqs.

1614584201903.png