Help / Advice Required

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulrad08

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I need some advice. I'm an IMG married to a US citizen, recently moved to the US. Do I count as a US-IMG or Non-US IMG? I will become a citizen in another year or so.

I've completed a internship, rotations, 4 years radiology residency in my home country. I took my step 1 earlier this year and got between 210-215, which worries me as I realize it's a low step 1 score. Being an old graduate, it took its toll on me.

Was going to take my Step 2 over the summer but my mother suffered a stoke and passed away couple of months back, causing a delay in my preparations and exam. I am hoping to take it by February at the latest. Will this gap between step 1 & 2 cause problems? Obviously I'm aiming for a high score but what should be my target?

Also, I've some strong letters from my home country residency. How many letters should I be looking for in US? Is there a minimum clinical experience requirement or few months will count as well? What counts as clinical experience - working at a doctors office or actually working at some radiology office?

Does having previously done the residency in Diagnostic Radiology help me during the match process? Does my experience count for anything at all?

Appreciate your time and advice.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Programs can filter ERAS however they want, including for US citizens only, US citizens and permanent residents, or everyone including visa holders.

Step 2 target should be as high as you can get.

Three letters.

You need one year non-radiology clinical experience.

Having done residency already, you can do the alternative pathway for IMGs, consisting of four fellowship years, which can be in different subspecialties and include up to one year of research. ABR One strategy is to find a research position at an academic center, express an interest in a clinical fellowship position, prove your competence, and then secure back-to-back clinical fellowship positions. This would probably be easier to finding a residency position.

Reactions: 1 user
As a Green Card holder, what am I considered to be? US-IMG or non-US?

I am having a hard time getting clinical experience as hospitals and most Dr clinics won't hire to do hands-on stuff. Observation doesn't count as clinical experience, right?