JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So, this is my first time posting one of these, but I want the bitter truth. Be as rough with me as you want.

So, with the way I'm headed so far, here are my stats:

Junior
Science: 3.48
Non-Science: 3.52
Cumulative: 3.44
MCAT: 12 BS, 10 VR, 11 PS

EC's:
-Undergrad Research, no publications, but been working for almost a year
-Volunteer at the University hospital, after break which I will be in the ER
-Shadow experience coming in the next few weeks.
-Martial arts club

Here's my view if I were to apply this year. I think my EC's suck, and I really don't know my actual duties in the ER until my first day. I'm just hoping to hang around and hopefully see some interesting situations. I probably won't publish with my research.

Considering I keep my gpa, I would like to know how I'd look if I were to apply this year. I am a CA resident and know that I will probably not be able to stay in CA. My goal is just to get into an MD school. How would I look at a "lower tier" med school?

Thanks in advance.

ILikeFood

NSU Class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
Status (Visible)
My expert opinion:

You're on the cusp. A slightly higher gpa and one or two more activities and you're good.

About the Ads

Asomasu

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think you should wait and pull up your gpa while including a more service oriented activity as well on top of your EC's. Something like the red cross club (you should try to be a leader in it too). Also, don't think that you don't have a shot at lower tier just yet, I would wait and apply next cycle with these improvements and you'll be a sure thing for middle tier.

One thing I have learned is that one area of your app can keep you out, but no one area can get you in. Good luck man.

genswim24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
planet hoth
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Just a quick question. How is your cumulative GPA lower than both your science and non-science GPA's? That is a little puzzling to me. Shouldn't your cumulative GPA fall somewhere in b/w the two.

Back to the original question, I too think you are on the cusp. I think if you apply early and broadly you will have a decent shot though. Get as much clinical experience and volunteer work as you can in the next half a year. If you do, you should have a chance to get in somewhere as long as your Personal statement and letters are solid.

Good luck:thumbup:

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Your MCAT is very good, and might balance the sub-par GPA, but you have time yet to work on the latter. An admissions committee looking at your application and seeing 5 months of volunteering and clinical experience, and some last minute shadowing, won't be impressed that you have adequately tested a medical vocation. They'll be more convinced you are dedicated to your career choice if they see 1.5 years of volunteerism and clinical experience. They'll also want to see a leadership experience. Your research experience is fine, even if you don't publish. I think it would be premature for you to apply in the 2009 cycle, and I recommend you take the extra year to make your application all it should be.

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I've thought that I should take one more year to improve my gpa/ec's before applying too, so it's good to get other people's input as well. Oh, and to Genswim, I accidently swtiched those two gpa's. :laugh:

genswim24

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 1, 2008
planet hoth
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I've thought that I should take one more year to improve my gpa/ec's before applying too, so it's good to get other people's input as well. Oh, and to Genswim, I accidently swtiched those two gpa's. :laugh:

Ha, I figured it was something like that:)

Good luck with the process. It is true that it is best to only apply once if you can.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.