Help appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JeetKuneDo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, this is my first time posting one of these, but I want the bitter truth. Be as rough with me as you want.

So, with the way I'm headed so far, here are my stats:

Junior
Science: 3.48
Non-Science: 3.52
Cumulative: 3.44
MCAT: 12 BS, 10 VR, 11 PS

EC's:
-Undergrad Research, no publications, but been working for almost a year
-Volunteer at the University hospital, after break which I will be in the ER
-Shadow experience coming in the next few weeks.
-Martial arts club

Here's my view if I were to apply this year. I think my EC's suck, and I really don't know my actual duties in the ER until my first day. I'm just hoping to hang around and hopefully see some interesting situations. I probably won't publish with my research.

Considering I keep my gpa, I would like to know how I'd look if I were to apply this year. I am a CA resident and know that I will probably not be able to stay in CA. My goal is just to get into an MD school. How would I look at a "lower tier" med school?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

My expert opinion:

You're on the cusp. A slightly higher gpa and one or two more activities and you're good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should wait and pull up your gpa while including a more service oriented activity as well on top of your EC's. Something like the red cross club (you should try to be a leader in it too). Also, don't think that you don't have a shot at lower tier just yet, I would wait and apply next cycle with these improvements and you'll be a sure thing for middle tier.

One thing I have learned is that one area of your app can keep you out, but no one area can get you in. Good luck man.

Just a quick question. How is your cumulative GPA lower than both your science and non-science GPA's? That is a little puzzling to me. Shouldn't your cumulative GPA fall somewhere in b/w the two.

Back to the original question, I too think you are on the cusp. I think if you apply early and broadly you will have a decent shot though. Get as much clinical experience and volunteer work as you can in the next half a year. If you do, you should have a chance to get in somewhere as long as your Personal statement and letters are solid.

Good luck:thumbup:

Your MCAT is very good, and might balance the sub-par GPA, but you have time yet to work on the latter. An admissions committee looking at your application and seeing 5 months of volunteering and clinical experience, and some last minute shadowing, won't be impressed that you have adequately tested a medical vocation. They'll be more convinced you are dedicated to your career choice if they see 1.5 years of volunteerism and clinical experience. They'll also want to see a leadership experience. Your research experience is fine, even if you don't publish. I think it would be premature for you to apply in the 2009 cycle, and I recommend you take the extra year to make your application all it should be.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I've thought that I should take one more year to improve my gpa/ec's before applying too, so it's good to get other people's input as well. Oh, and to Genswim, I accidently swtiched those two gpa's. :laugh:

I think you've made the correct decision. Good luck.

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I've thought that I should take one more year to improve my gpa/ec's before applying too, so it's good to get other people's input as well. Oh, and to Genswim, I accidently swtiched those two gpa's. :laugh:

Ha, I figured it was something like that:)

Good luck with the process. It is true that it is best to only apply once if you can.