Help! Are there any US schools with entering classes starting in January?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dakims

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My friend is nontraditional and wanting to get to med school as early as possible. However she thought that she could finish her prereqs by april/may of next year and apply for admission to matriculate in January 2009. but there arent any US schools that have classes entering in january, only during the fall right? Ive only seen like one caribbean school like that. Can someone clear this up for me. I had no luck in the pre-allo.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

mostly in Aug.

you should consider carribean sch

I do not believe there are any US med schools with starting classes NOT in August. As a nontrad, I did look into the possibility of starting classes in the winter time (timing was better for me then). I did not find any school that fits that schedule. The caribbeans are probably your friend's best option.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend is nontraditional and wanting to get to med school as early as possible. However she thought that she could finish her prereqs by april/may of next year and apply for admission to matriculate in January 2009. but there arent any US schools that have classes entering in january, only during the fall right? Ive only seen like one caribbean school like that. Can someone clear this up for me. I had no luck in the pre-allo.
thanks

What's the rush? Why go to a school you have no interest in just to start 5 months earlier? It doesn't save any time in terms of the big picture, because the residencies aren't going to start 5 months earlier when she gets out of med school at the other end. Better she use the glide year she may have to earn a few bucks for med school or do some cool research or something.

thanks

UMKC's MD-only program (usually accept around 10 students) starts in January. You don't apply through AMCAS and the application is due 1 August.

It's reallly six in one and 1/2 dozen in the other since you have to match at the same time as everyone else, so the UMKC students eventually have to take a semester off.

It's reallly six in one and 1/2 dozen in the other since you have to match at the same time as everyone else, so the UMKC students eventually have to take a semester off.

That's a good point. Even if you start at a nontrad time, you still get forced to conform to the system eventually.

thanks for responding everyone. this probably isnt the news she or her parents wanted to hear but better now than later right. i guess she should have researched up more instead of just throwing herself into the premed scene

Maybe the Starving Actor in new york "scene" might have been better.. or maybe the false intellectual law school Paper Chase "scene"?

I sort of like Indiana Jones World Traveler "Scene" or Lawrence of Arabia wandering the desert SCENE

LOL

That's a good point. Even if you start at a nontrad time, you still get forced to conform to the system eventually.

Yeah, the man always gets you eventually.

To the OP, if your friend is interested in UMKC, make sure she researches it. It's not on the AMCAS system, so they have a different set of pre-reqs. She'll have to take Cell Biology and Biochemistry, in addition to everything else (they actually don't require Physics, but they do require an MCAT score, so in essence, they require physics).

The numbers versus applied/accepted are comparable to most med schools 15-20% I think.

What's the rush? Why go to a school you have no interest in just to start 5 months earlier? It doesn't save any time in terms of the big picture, because the residencies aren't going to start 5 months earlier when she gets out of med school at the other end. Better she use the glide year she may have to earn a few bucks for med school or do some cool research or something.
Ditto this. Cutting your med school options from 130 to 1 or 2 or overseas for the sake of starting a few months earlier is silly.

The UMKC MD-Only program has a January start. Last time I checked a map Kansas City was still in the US. ;) http://research.med.umkc.edu/med_admissions/default.html

I had no idea that the UMKC program started to in January but I did look at the program briefly.

From what I found out, the UMKC program is geared for high school students. I had inquired about the program but found that it was not really a viable option for non high schoolers since they only accept (very sparingly, I was told) a select few to take the place of those that dropped out of the program.

I had connections to KC and found it was not really a viable option. The OP's friend would have a much greater shot at applying to most standard medical schools than to the UMKC program.