HELP ASAP! WAMC TEXAS (3.93, 508, ORM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yungwheezy

Reaction score
Applying to all Texas MD and DO schools available through TMDSAS.

508 MCAT, 3.93 cGPA, ORM

Around 600-700 Clinical Hours in Hospital units, diagnostic labs, etc..

100 Shadowing hours

Around 500-600 Non-clinical volunteer hours

Around 1000 hours as a paid research ASSISTANT (no poster/presentations/publications, mainly did lab work)

Probably 2 Good LOR, 2 Mid LOR

Random leadership activities and non-academic awards. (For ex: first chair musician, jazz solo winner)

(Planned activities include working towards a publication and adding 100-200 hrs in each activity area, if that matters)

Talked to a med advisor recently who said I only have a shot at the less stat-competitive MD schools in Texas (which I'm fine with). However, he said that my essays have to be very specific or formatted towards these schools' goals (usually primary care and under-rep).

The advisor said my essays were garbage basically and I had to restart. Assuming I take 3 weeks to rewrite my essays, have someone review them, and complete the rest of my app (like activity descriptions) I would be applying in late June. Although not necessarily too late, with my stats already being mediocre, would a gap year be the best move?

I would prefer not to take a gap year but my advisor said to think long term. I want to specialize, with the only "easier" specialty I would consider being psych (no primary care). I am open to DO but their match rates are offputting.

I also want to take into account the detriments of having to reapply in the worst-case scenario.

TL;DR: Really want to apply this cycle (preferably MD), will apply by late June-- should I take the risk of applying?

P.S. If anyone is willing to help with my essays, please PM me thx.

Members don't see this ad.

Where in Texas did you grow up? You should keep mission fit in mind, but I'm going to defer to @wysdoc about the advice you received. How much have you networked with the admissions teams or attended TMDSAS webinars to discern what the schools want? You pulled your WAMC profile, so there's not much we have to possibly contradict the advice.

Where in Texas did you grow up? You should keep mission fit in mind, but I'm going to defer to @wysdoc about the advice you received. How much have you networked with the admissions teams or attended TMDSAS webinars to discern what the schools want? You pulled your WAMC profile, so there's not much we have to possibly contradict the advice.
I grew up in San Antonio. To figure out the schools' mission I just scoured their websites, match data, and third-party online sources. I don't know what a WAMC profile is sorry I'm new here.

I grew up in San Antonio. To figure out the schools' mission I just scoured their websites, match data, and third-party online sources. I don't know what a WAMC profile is sorry I'm new here.
No problem. I think you posted once before but no one responded because you may have retracted it.