Help: Babysitter is Stealing Vicodin

Started by josh6718
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

josh6718

Pharmacist
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So our neighbor's have a 9-year old handicapped girl in a wheel chair who was prescribed Vicodin shortly after her surgery. My neighbor told me that she was afraid that the girl who has been babysitting her daughter has been stealing her pills in the past for klonopin, Ativan, etc, so we counted exactly how many pills before she came over and put them back in the medicine cabinet. When we both returned the vicodin had been switched out with extra-strength tylenol. I'm very concerned, but since we have no physical proof, is there anything we can do?
 
So our neighbor's have a 9-year old handicapped girl in a wheel chair who was prescribed Vicodin shortly after her surgery. My neighbor told me that she was afraid that the girl who has been babysitting her daughter has been stealing her pills in the past for klonopin, Ativan, etc, so we counted exactly how many pills before she came over and put them back in the medicine cabinet. When we both returned the vicodin had been switched out with extra-strength tylenol. I'm very concerned, but since we have no physical proof, is there anything we can do?

Well hopefully they fired the babysitter by now, the b*tch is stealing pain meds from the child she is suppose to be watching out for! You could talk to the girl's parents or if you wanted to go all out you could setup a video camera watching the pills next time she comes over, then go to her parents and tell them if they do something about their crappy kid's issues, you will go to the police with the tape. You could always bluff and say you have a camera that caught her stealing pills and she what she says, she might fall for it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would call the cops- maybe nothing comes of it but hopefully it will scare the crap out her. Same thing happened with my grandfather when he was dying of cancer. My @#$@#%^$#%$#^%@#$@#$ cousin was pretending to take care of him while stealing his oxycontin and snorting it. He was in so much pain before he died he would scream if you touched him. I have no sympathy for med stealers.
 
BTW, why do you have Vicodin in the house...and do you not have it locked up? But you could alway try.... name of the movie.

co4mo8.jpg
 
I would call the cops- maybe nothing comes of it but hopefully it will scare the crap out her. Same thing happened with my grandfather when he was dying of cancer. My @#$@#%^$#%$#^%@#$@#$ cousin was pretending to take care of him while stealing his oxycontin and snorting it. He was in so much pain before he died he would scream if you touched him. I have no sympathy for med stealers.

That's so evil. I don't believe in hell, but I hope there's an uncomfortable place for med stealers.

With regards to the OP's issue: I can't tell you what to do, but I would call the police- a 'babysitter' stealing controlled substances, getting high, whatever, is not a care-taker, but a criminal and ought to be treated as such- especially when it is someone who works around children. If I were the DA, I'd even file a child endangerment charge since she's stealing medications from a child who is in pain. Especially in the pharmacy field, there must be zero-tolerance for people like this. We're mandated reporters when it comes to drug diversion, and that shouldn't end when we walk out of the pharmacy at the end of the day.
 
Would you people get a life. Call the cops, heck call the DEA. This is a girl who is in trouble.

1) Fire her right away.
2) DO NOT spread rumors unless you have proof. You have circumstantial evidence. Not proof. Maybe her boyfriend/girlfriend comes over and takes them. DO NOT make an accusation that could injure someone and get you sued.
3) Sit down with the person and have a frank discussion. Explain the ramifications. If she is a minor, tell her parents in a non-judgmental way.

You have an opportunity to help a person who is obviously in trouble. Remove her from your household so she is not a danger to your child or herself. Get some humanity people....
 
So like this then....don't want to hurt anyone's feelings of course........

To the parents-" Hello Mr. and Mrs. X, how is your day going? Mine is going well too except for one little itsy bitsy hiccup, your daughter is stealing pain meds from a handicapped child who is in pain, no biggie or anything, is she available to babysit this Friday?"
 
Don't twist what I said. I said you should help someone, not out of respect for their feelings, but in order to help save them from a serious problem. Next, I would not tell the parents over the phone. Finally, the first thing I would do was never permit them in my house again.

I don't mind a free wheeling discussion. I don't mind when people disagree with me. It is a little disconcerting when people disagree something I didn't say....;
 
So our neighbor's have a 9-year old handicapped girl in a wheel chair who was prescribed Vicodin shortly after her surgery. My neighbor told me that she was afraid that the girl who has been babysitting her daughter has been stealing her pills in the past for klonopin, Ativan, etc, so we counted exactly how many pills before she came over and put them back in the medicine cabinet. When we both returned the vicodin had been switched out with extra-strength tylenol. I'm very concerned, but since we have no physical proof, is there anything we can do?

If you suspected her of stealing, wouldn't it have been a safer route to lock the meds up rather than "count" them before and after the babysitter came over? Also, why would your neighbor ask the suspected pill thief to ever return if he/she thought something was awry😕
 
switch it out with laxatives. see if she really stupid on top of it all. she wont ever do it again if she is.

i would def. tell somebody, whether parents, guardians, school, authorities.

and then they all bitch at rising health care costs.
 
Wouldn't locking up the meds be difficult since she is supposedly caring for the girl who is in pain and she may need to give the girl some pain meds? I'm all for helping out people in trouble but not at the expense of the person who cannot care for him or herself.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
-to op: sorry to hear about that...but I don't think there's anything you can do, as of now. Talking to the babysitter's parents directly is not going to solve the problem; they would probably feel very offended and shun you away. But if I were you, I would talk the babysitter and say something that would leave her the impression that you know the medicine is stolen.

-to zpak: the movie is entrapment
 
-to op: sorry to hear about that...but I don't think there's anything you can do, as of now. Talking to the babysitter's parents directly is not going to solve the problem; they would probably feel very offended and shun you away. But if I were you, I would talk the babysitter and say something that would leave her the impression that you know the medicine is stolen.

-to zpak: the movie is entrapment


Lucky guess.
 
Wouldn't locking up the meds be difficult since she is supposedly caring for the girl who is in pain and she may need to give the girl some pain meds? I'm all for helping out people in trouble but not at the expense of the person who cannot care for him or herself.

Why not leave only enough out to cover the time that the parents will be out and locking up the large stash?

Also, wouldn't Lortab elixir be a better dosage form for a nine year-old girl?
 
i really hope you have confronted her by now. if you didn't, she could be stealing drugs from many other families.
 
You squashed his dream.. watch, he'll get more fired up and become financially independent in 5 years through Quixtar! And he'll sit outside sip coffee and watch you go to work..and give you the pagent wave..
 
I told you already. He got punked out by a dude named Slaver Rph. He tucked his tail and ran. We haven't heard from him since..That Slaver...now there was an interesting cat.

slaver was no match for zpack dude... see who got banned and who stayed...
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
nostalgia... I was just a month away from starting pharmacy school when i posted in this topic. damn, i still know nothing about pharmacy.