Help! CCLCM vs UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1144479

I just got off the waitlist at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine after planning to enroll at UPenn. I'm really torn between these 2 programs and I'm not sure which way to go.

Penn (COA ~$300k, negotiating with FinAid)
Pros:
-I have family in Philly and would be a short car ride away from my support system
-Amazing facilities, all new and close to one another
-I love Philly and especially how walkable/bikeable it is so I wouldn't need a car
-Great institution, T5 prestige
-P/F preclinical
-Just basically limitless opportunity and doors opened just by being at Penn

Cons:
-$$$$
-About half the students take a fifth year for research or additional degree anyways
-Seemed a little high stress, lots of overachievers but that's to be expected
-Graded clinicals

CCLCM ($0 COA)
Pros:
-It's FREE
-Lots of research opportunities woven into the curriculum. This aligns with my potential interests in working as a physician scientist
-No tests, no stress, lots of free time day to day
-Feels more relaxed with both the learning model and the fact that I'll have an extra year built in to allow me to explore all sorts of specialities and outside interests
-Better quality of life without debt and allows more a more enjoyable medical school experience
-I like the learning model a lot, especially small groups and feedback based "grading"
-Great mentorship, 1 on 1 attention/connection, and letters of rec

Cons:
-I did not get to attend accepted students days so I haven't visited the campus
-Much longer and perhaps more complicated move out to Cleveland
-I'm not thrilled about spending 5 years in Cleveland. I have no nearby supports (family is near NYC) so I'm worried about the adjustment as well as how enjoyable it would be to live there
-Business casual mandatory
-Not as prestigious as UPenn? I'm also not sure how they match comparatively
-Basic science research block required, really don't want to have to spend a summer doing that

Summary: I had basically decided I was going to Penn and was super excited about it. It's a perfect location for me on top of being an elite medical school. However, CCLCM offers things very few schools can match, plus it's free. A lot of it boils down to cost vs. location as well as ensuring I'm keeping the most doors open for myself as possible in the future. I will update based on what Penn says but please let me know your thoughts, I only have a couple days to decide!

Members don't see this ad.

No way to justify 300k for Penn. CCLCM has a huge name in medicine and they match well, the grading and assessment structure is very low stress, new facilities there...

Reactions: 1 users
330k is realistically much much more given interest. The chilled back relaxed atmosphere you mention for CCLCM is a godsend in medical school. I definitely feel you on the support system. That's important. If you're able to, you can justify multiple flights back and forth with the money you save!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for responding! I agree, the financial difference is too much to swallow. I have contacted admissions and will see what they can offer. Unless they return with a substantial package, I will likely be heading to Cleveland. Thanks and I'll update if anything changes!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Thank you all for responding! I agree, the financial difference is too much to swallow. I have contacted admissions and will see what they can offer. Unless they return with a substantial package, I will likely be heading to Cleveland. Thanks and I'll update if anything changes!
Seems like Penn is less generous this year, not sure why

Hi all, just wanted to update. I committed to CCLCM and am very, very excited! Penn said they had "no more merit aid" to hand out, which makes sense given it's early May. Thank you all for your input!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users