Pitt PSTP vs Cornell/Stanford/CCLCM waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fruits_of_work

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a situation where I have to commit to the Pitt PSTP program (in 4 days lol) and I'm waitlisted at Cornell, Stanford, and CCLCM. My two options are to either commit to PSTP in 4 days and give up those waitlists, or give up PSTP program and continue waiting for those other schools. I could still go to Pitt if I didn't get into waitlist.

Pitt (PSTP)

PROS of committing to PSTP
- 10K stipend a year, ~5K summer stipend for 2 summers of research, research year fully paid for
- structured research training program like PSTP could help me match to a better residency (interested in a competitive specialty)

CONS of committing to PSTP
-giving up waitlist at cornell, stanford, and CCLCM
-1 more year (which I'm thinking I would anyways probably take since I'm interested in a competitive specialty)
-Going to regular pitt med program (if i don't get off waitlist) which is still a great school, but I wouldn't have as much research support as I would with PSTP

Members don't see this ad.

Disclosure: WL at CCLCM

I’d probably commit to the PSTP. Stanford nor Cornell will give you as much of a research springboard as Pitt + PSTP. The only competitor is CCLCM.

Reactions: 1 users
You have 1 acceptance. That's your answer. Do not EVER turn down a guaranteed acceptance for the *possibility* that you'll get off another waitlist. Have you emailed any of those programs you're WL at to explain your current dilemma?

Members don't see this ad :)
No relevant disclosures

It seems like you have the fall back of PittMed still if you decide to wait on the other 3 waitlists and give up the PSTP program (@I'mInDer!).
How much are you leaning towards CCLCM / Cornell / Stanford if you were to pull one of them? And what do you know about what waitlist movement looks like for all 3 of those schools, and what % of interviewees get waitlisted vs. rejected? I know some schools have pretty solid waitlist movement (Mayo), some schools waitlist only a select few and have decent movement (IE Harvard), and some schools waitlist everybody (WashU, Case) so the chances there are slimmer...

Might be helpful to learn a little more about how much one of the other 3 programs mean to you compared to Pitt PSTP, how much Pitt PSTP means to you, and how to better weigh the probability of getting off a waitlist...

Reactions: 1 users
What would cost be should you go to Pitt regular MD vs Pitt PSTP?