CCLCM vs. Pritzker vs. WUSTL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Storm42

Reaction score
Hi all! Thanks to some recent waitlist movement, I am currently struggling to pick between these 3 programs, and would appreciate some advice. All are great programs with similar calibers of match lists in my eyes, and I'm very grateful to be in this position.

Some context about me: City doesn't matter to me too much, I would be fine living in Cleveland or Chicago or St. Louis. They're all within driving distance of my hometown, so support system is about the same at all. I'm currently open to any specialty, although recently I've been thinking about cardiology, anesthesiology, or radiology (but again, this is very uncommitted and I would not at all be surprised if I changed paths completely once med school starts). Money does matter, as I will be taking loans out to pay for a pretty hefty chunk of med school. Long-term, I have interests in teaching and in biomedical engineering (e.g. developing new medical devices) as well as practicing as a physician.

CCLCM
Pros:
- Cleveland Clinic is insane institution which would likely have good benefits for clinical training and research opportunities
- Really small class size means there's a lot of individualized attention for each individual student
- Test-free, no grades or exams
- PBL/TBL seems like it would work well for my learning style
- MD/MS in BME seems like it would be useful for my long-term goals

Cons:
- 5 year program means I'll lose a year of attending salary. I understand that it's like a built-in research year but depending on what specialty I do end up trying to match in, a research year might not be necessary if I went to one of the other schools.
- Really small class size means there might be very few people in my class that I actually really click with. Not sure if there's a ton of interaction with CWRU students, if there is, that would help alleviate some worry here.
- All classes mandatory, business casual dress required.
- Instead of grades, they use essays and portfolios which sound kind of like busywork.
- Have not visited. Might try to arrange an emergency visit if possible.

Pritzker
Pros:
- Loved the school when I visited. Both other admitted students and current students were fantastic, and I could definitely see myself being a part of this community.
- Admin and faculty seem to be incredibly supportive of students.
- So many ways to give back to the community.
- UChicago is fantastic outside of medicine as well. Could potentially network with students at law school and business school as well as potentially doing a dual degree.
- Research is also integrated into the curriculum here, funding is also given for M1 summer research.
- Current students seemed to really enjoy their time at the school. They seemed to be genuinely happy, which I think is pretty important lol.
- Lots of grads end up teaching medicine apparently, which would fit great with that goal of mine.
- Class size is medium--large enough to have a good variety of people but small enough to still have a tightknit class and individualized attention.

Cons:
- No engineering school means few engineering projects to work on. While visiting, I did talk to a faculty member about one project though, and she invited me to work on it if I did matriculate here.
- Less prestigious relatively within medicine compared to the other 2 options.
- New curriculum is being rolled out, which will likely come with its own share of kinks.
- Safety issues? Not super worried about this honestly.
- AOA?

WUSTL ($120k more than CCLCM)
Pros:
- No rankings of AOA
- EXPLORE pathway would allow me to go deeper into innovation or education.
- The most prestigious of the 3 schools (although the difference is not super important in my opinion).
- P/F clerkships
- Heard good things about the new curriculum

Cons:
- $$
- Heard the community is kind of gunnery/cutthroat and that's not really my vibe.
- Really short breaks it looks like, e.g. only 2 weeks for M1 summer

Thank you in advance for your help. I truly believe that any of these 3 programs would be great for me, so any input (or factors that I haven't considered) would be super helpful in making my decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you a traditional student (or only one gap year)? If so, the research year at CCLM might also just be an all-around good thing for your life. I wouldn't necessarily purely view it as loss of attending salary. Also, research years seem to be becoming a soft requirement for anything remotely competitive (see HMS and Yale statistics, also in general to be honest) so you might end up taking one anyway. Now that I think about I also think that by your salary logic, you're also losing probably the equivalent of yearly attending salary (maybe more) with 150k in loans + interest at UChicago/WUSTL.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on what you're prioritizing:

1) Money and relaxation. then this is CCLCM for sure. Help! CCLCM vs UPenn this thread shows someone choosing CCLCM over UPenn which is a similar boat that you're in. Also like the poster above said, the 5 year isn't detrimental and would be very useful in choosing a research heavy specialty. I think their cirriculum would be very enjoyable to work through, but I'm not that educated on it.

2) Dual degree and living situation. Uchicago easily wins that. Their dual degree opportunities are excellent and Chicago would be a great place to spend your 20s. Seems like you liked the community and campus as well.

Based on your pros list seems like you liked Pritzker the most! All 3 are great options, congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm the person who recently chose CCLCM in the post linked above. I'd be happy to chat about things privately if you'd like!

But I'll say this. I chose CCLCM because it offered me the best work life balance by far with low stress. Someone described it to me as the only school where you really have enough time to be bored. The money is nice too and I also really like the way the grading and curriculum are set up, but I see that might be a con for you.

In terms of the extra year, I thought this would be valuable not only for research, but also to give me as much time to see and decide on a speciality. I figure this would be useful for you as well given you are presently undecided. Plus, make sure you know how common that extra year is in other schools. I was considering Penn and was shocked to find out that about half of their class takes a fifth year (compared with other schools where that number was closer to 10-20%). I'm not sure about these other schools but if it's a similar culture at Pritzker and WUSTL, it's nice to have that year already built in (and paid for!)

You've got great options and really can't go wrong! It does sound like Chicago is where your heart is and that sounds like a great choice!

Reactions: 1 user
I don't really have a lot of input here, but what I can say is >100k additional debt in this economy is seriously no joke.

Definitely Cleveland Clinic imo. As a premed, 1 year seems like forever. In hindsight, you'll realize it was nothing and be glad you chose free tuition. Case isn't as prestigious as WashU within medicine, but Cleveland Clinic has a name that's globally recognizable. Wrt training, research, resources, prestige, it is equivalent to WashU imo.

You'll have opportunities to interact with other Case students, so wouldn't worry too much about class size. Mandatory classes + business casual is annoying, but you'll have to wear dress that way a lot in your career anyway. And I'm not quite sure what your qualm is with the essays. Would you rather be graded? Lol. FWIW the WashU curriculum requires you to write a lot of essays too. Many schools do. You won't escape essay-writing. It's not busy work, it's just a part of the curriculum. And these days, most schools use some sort of portfolio, so that's not unique to CCLCM either.

Are you a traditional student (or only one gap year)? If so, the research year at CCLM might also just be an all-around good thing for your life. I wouldn't necessarily purely view it as loss of attending salary. Also, research years seem to be becoming a soft requirement for anything remotely competitive (see HMS and Yale statistics, also in general to be honest) so you might end up taking one anyway. Now that I think about I also think that by your salary logic, you're also losing probably the equivalent of yearly attending salary (maybe more) with 150k in loans + interest at UChicago/WUSTL.
I do fall into one of those categories--can I ask why you say the research year at CCLCM might be such a good thing for my life?

Also update: UChicago has graciously matched CCLCM's financial aid, so my COA will basically be the same in both places now.

Finances now being equal, sounds like UChicago sounds like the move based on your pros/cons.

I’d choose UChicago with equal finances. Honestly only one person in my class is taking a research year, and she’s only doing it because she wants to. She could’ve matched plastics either year. At most schools, I think the general consensus is to take a year if you need one to be more competitive, but if you did some research and scored well on step 2, you probably don’t need to lose a year.

Plus, an essay-style curriculum sounds weird, and I have a hard time seeing how it prepares you for step compared to other schools where you are practicing with NBME exams all year. Just my $0.02