Help choosing best three mirror lens..ocular vs volk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dinami2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone i was looking for a good 3 mirror lens.
My 2 options are the VOLK G3 and the OCULAR High Definition three mirror lens.
which one do you guys suggest?
Flange or no flange?
fluid or No methylcellulose?

thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know enough about those two lens to comment directly, but my main question is what level are you, ie about to start residency? If you are just starting, then does your program not have some available. If they dont' this is a hard call as far as flange or not. In my opinion it is easiest to learn with the goop and a flange but you quickly get better and don't want this anymore, or need it.

Second, any particular reason on a 3 mirror and not a 4 mirror gonio only lens? As far as angle assessment using a 4 mirror is easier i think and I can't think of many times you need a 3 mirror to view the fundus.

Hi everyone i was looking for a good 3 mirror lens.
My 2 options are the VOLK G3 and the OCULAR High Definition three mirror lens.
which one do you guys suggest?
Flange or no flange?
fluid or No methylcellulose?

thank you!!!

Does your program require you to buy these as residents? If not, then don't bother, and use whatever the clinic you are working in has available. A three-mirror is basically a three-mirror. Flanges are nice to prevent squeezing the lens off but are harder to seat, especially with small fissures.

You will find Volk and Ocular instruments to be of comparable quality and thus highly competitive with their designs and pricing. Haag-Streit used to have a substantial presence in the three-mirror lens "market", but not anymore.