HELP! Confused about reporting Step2CK scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fatboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

1st time posting in this section, but just wanted to thank everybody for all their useful input!! I have to admit that I am utterly confused about reporting step 2 scores on ERAS. I am satisfied with my Step 1 score and really just want to pass Step 2 CK without anyone (i.e. program directors) knowing what I got. Unfortunately, my school requires that I take it before Jan 1. So my question is, if I take Step 2 AFTER I apply to residency programs on Sept 1, does it guarantee that no one will know my score or if took the exam yet?

Thank you guys so much!!

Fat

Members don't see this ad.

fatboy said:
Hey all,

1st time posting in this section, but just wanted to thank everybody for all their useful input!! I have to admit that I am utterly confused about reporting step 2 scores on ERAS. I am satisfied with my Step 1 score and really just want to pass Step 2 CK without anyone (i.e. program directors) knowing what I got. Unfortunately, my school requires that I take it before Jan 1. So my question is, if I take Step 2 AFTER I apply to residency programs on Sept 1, does it guarantee that no one will know my score or if took the exam yet?

Thank you guys so much!!

Fat

Hey fatboy: You really cant hide much in medicine. Eventually (before match day), PDs will know your score!

fatboy said:
Hey all,

Thank you guys so much!!

Fat

Here is what you do. You go to the NBME score release section of ERAS and sign off on releasing your score for up to the present time (this will include Step 1). Then - this is the important part - you check off the NO box on the lower half of that screen which asks you about automatically releasing scores that come out later. The screen will give you many warnings about how if you check yes you cannot undo it, etc. etc. they make it pretty clear that you want to check NO! I assume some people check yes if they are pretty damn sure they are going to do well on Step 2. But for me, I want to look at the score first before I decide whether to send it.

Once you have taken Step 2 and see your score, if you're fine with it, you just go back to that same place in the application and release that part of it. If you don't like your score, just don't do that. I'm pretty sure the score will not have to be revealed until after rank lists are made, that way.

So if we take Step 2 before Sept 1, there is no way to hide?!

What if we do worse than step 1 - is that the kiss of death?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dwite said:
So if we take Step 2 before Sept 1, there is no way to hide?

Not exactly...

If you want to 'hide" your step 2 score, You must sellect the "NO" option for automatically releasing your USMLE scores BEFORE your step 2 score comes out.

Good Luck.

Dwite said:
So if we take Step 2 before Sept 1, there is no way to hide?!

What if we do worse than step 1 - is that the kiss of death?

yeah...
they'll F*ing...
they'll F*ing tie you to a F*ing bedpost
with your a$$ cheeks spread out and $hit
right?
put a hanger on a F*ing stove and let that $hit sit ther for like a half hour
take it off and stick it up your a$$ slow like
Tssssss

they'll F*ing lay your nuts on a F*ing dresser
just your nuts layin on a F*ing dresser
and bang them $hits with a spiked F*ing bat
OOOOOH

They'll F*ing
Theyll F*ing pull your F*ing tongue out your F*ing mouth
and stab the $hit with a rusty screwdriver, BLAOWW!

they'll F*ing
they'll F*ing hang you by your f*ing dick
off a F*ing twelve sto-story building out this motherF*er

They'll F*ing
they'll F*ing sew your a$$hole shut and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you

could you imagine if program directors were this cool? and said this to you on the phone or via email. i'd sign up in a heart beat.

Leukocyte said:
Not exactly...

If you want to 'hide" your step 2 score, You must sellect the "NO" option for automatically releasing your USMLE scores BEFORE your step 2 score comes out.

Good Luck.

But by this, you mean they won't release Step 1 either? Thanks Leukocyte!

Dwite said:
But by this, you mean they won't release Step 1 either? Thanks Leukocyte!

No, There are 2 questions regarding the USMLE on ERAS:

-The first = Is regarding the release of your CURRENT usmle scores CURRENTLY ON FILE.

-The second - Is regarding the AUTOMATIC release of the scores of ANY STEP YOU WILL TAKE IN THE FUTURE.

If you want to hide the score of a step, you must:

1) Have not yet received the score of that step.

and

2) Select "YES" on releasing your Umsle score report.

and

3) Select "NO" on the automatic release of scores of USMLE steps you will take in the future.

Good Luck.

Okay, sorry I am so dense, but if I am taking Step 2 tomorrow and don't want it automatically released, I can follow this procedure? If I understand you correctly, the following will happen:

I will submit my ERAS on Sept 1. My step 1 score will go out. But because my step 2 score won't be back until mid Sept, that WILL NOT automatically go out.

Is this right?

The old advice (which I did not heed) was take Step 2 after Sept 1, but what they should have said was take it so that your score isn't back until after Sept 1?

Dwite said:
If I am taking Step 2 tomorrow and don't want it automatically released, I can follow this procedure? If I understand you correctly, the following will happen:

I will submit my ERAS on Sept 1. My step 1 score will go out. But because my step 2 score won't be back until mid Sept, that WILL NOT automatically go out.

Is this right?

Yes, as long as the NBME does not release your Step 2 score before you select "No" for the automatic release of future/pending steps.

I recommend making the USMLE selections on ERAS SOON. You never know when the NBME will get more efficient, and start releasing scores sooner.

Good Luck.

Leukocyte said:
Yes, as long as the NBME does not release your Step 2 score before you select "No" for the automatic release of future/pending steps.

I recommend making the USMLE selections on ERAS SOON. You never know when the NBME will get more efficient, and start releasing scores sooner.

Good Luck.

So you can make this selection BEFORE you submit your ERAS on Sept 1?

Thanks for your help Leuk!

allylz said:
Here is what you do. You go to the NBME score release section of ERAS and sign off on releasing your score for up to the present time (this will include Step 1). Then - this is the important part - you check off the NO box on the lower half of that screen which asks you about automatically releasing scores that come out later. The screen will give you many warnings about how if you check yes you cannot undo it, etc. etc. they make it pretty clear that you want to check NO! I assume some people check yes if they are pretty damn sure they are going to do well on Step 2. But for me, I want to look at the score first before I decide whether to send it.

Once you have taken Step 2 and see your score, if you're fine with it, you just go back to that same place in the application and release that part of it. If you don't like your score, just don't do that. I'm pretty sure the score will not have to be revealed until after rank lists are made, that way.

Can this be done now...or do we have to wait till sept 1?

Dwite said:
So you can make this selection BEFORE you submit your ERAS on Sept 1?

No (Unfortunately). Sept 1, is the earliest date for submission. So take that into consideration when planning your Step 2 test date.

Good Luck.

ok...in the same line of thought...I took my exam at the end of July and my score has been reported..I should be receiving it in 2-3 days. Since ERAS doesn't get submmitted until Sept 1....will my score by reported as it will already be in?? I have selcted the "No" option to retransmission..will this do the trick?? :scared: :scared: or am i pretty much dead in the water here if I bombed my step 2?!? :(

Thanks guys..

Unfortunately your score was already reported before you had the chance to submit the ERAS application (Sept 1 is the eariest date for ERAS submission).

At this point, be optimistic.

Good Luck.