Help! Deciding between SLU and NSU MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DocMonkey07

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm currently trying to decide between the MD program at Nova Southeastern and Saint Louis University.

I got a scholarship of $23000 per year from NSU which has been very helpful, resulting in $52000 tuition, plus the 10% reduction off tuition promised to all the students. SLU is much more expensive at ~$71000 for tuition per year. I also recently just got off the alternate list from SLU so I have not had the chance to figure out financial aid and see if SLU could possibly match what NSU is offering (also don't know how open SLU is to negotiating historically, especially this late in the cycle). Also, as a side note regarding specialties of interest, I’m currently deciding between cardiology (via IM) and vascular surgery (I just really like heart).

Any advice would totally be appreciated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would talk to SLU and see if they would be willing to work with you to reduce the cost of attendance difference. Just express to them that you are truly enthusiastic about their program, but finances are holding you back.

If the cost of attendance difference is not large, I would personally pick SLU. Great hospital system, a brand new childrens hospital, and a decent location. You have great proximity to WashU which opens up networking opportunities that can benefit you come residency applications.
 
I would talk to SLU and see if they would be willing to work with you to reduce the cost of attendance difference. Just express to them that you are truly enthusiastic about their program, but finances are holding you back.

If the cost of attendance difference is not large, I would personally pick SLU. Great hospital system, a brand new childrens hospital, and a decent location. You have great proximity to WashU which opens up networking opportunities that can benefit you come residency applications.
Yeah I agree with the pros for SLU... the only thing is SLU had clearly stated that all scholarships have been awarded and that they do not do scholarship matching.