HELP! Double major or not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony729

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering pursuing a double major in Economics and Biology with a minor in chemistry or a major in Economics and a minor in chemistry. I am currently a junior with a 3.8 gpa and very close to completing the requirements for my econ major and pre-med. I am not sure if having a double major would be a advantage, and if my gpa will decrease by taking the upper division biology courses. Would it be better just to major in Economics and a minor in chemistry with close to a 3.8 or higher, and spend my free time focusing more on extra curricular's like: volunteer, shadowing, and be involved in clubs.

Members don't see this ad.

OP, do what makes you happy. A double major isn't going to secure your acceptance just like majoring only in Econ and minoring in Chem won't prevent an acceptance. As long as you have the pre reqs and did well in them, ADCOMs aren't concerned. If you feel like a double major may bring down your GPA or keep you from doing other things that are important to you (ECs), then don't do it.....

I'd go with the upper level biology courses instead of the chem minor. But yeah, no need to double major.

Members don't see this ad :)
don't double major, choose the one you like more and take some electives in the other one. in the end no one will care, and you will be doing yourself a huge favor.

Unfortunately, I dont think admocs are impressed by double majors. You're better off choosing the route that will give you the best GPA. Not to mention an Econ major stands out among the droves of Science majors applying to Med School.

Have to agree with what's been said. Don't, don't, don't double major.

The advice you're given here should be taken into consideration, but shouldn't be followed in all circumstances.

Double major if you want. If you really believe you can handle it and have a passion for the field, go ahead.

Just keep in mind that double majors have little to no impact on the adcom's decisions. It might make interesting talk in an interview, but that's it. Like the others have said, if you don't need to double major, don't. If you really want to, knock yourself out.

Thank you everyone for the great advice, I think sticking to one major will free up a lot of time EC's to show a more well-rounded person

My dad once told me that it's better to have a vertical education (i.e. multiple degrees like Masters, MD, etc.) that to have a horizontal one (dual bachelor's).