• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

tony729

5+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2012
Status (Visible)
I am considering pursuing a double major in Economics and Biology with a minor in chemistry or a major in Economics and a minor in chemistry. I am currently a junior with a 3.8 gpa and very close to completing the requirements for my econ major and pre-med. I am not sure if having a double major would be a advantage, and if my gpa will decrease by taking the upper division biology courses. Would it be better just to major in Economics and a minor in chemistry with close to a 3.8 or higher, and spend my free time focusing more on extra curricular's like: volunteer, shadowing, and be involved in clubs.

Dr. Ducky

Feb 12, 2012
Small Pond
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
OP, do what makes you happy. A double major isn't going to secure your acceptance just like majoring only in Econ and minoring in Chem won't prevent an acceptance. As long as you have the pre reqs and did well in them, ADCOMs aren't concerned. If you feel like a double major may bring down your GPA or keep you from doing other things that are important to you (ECs), then don't do it.....

whatbout2morrow

10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Innisfree
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I'd go with the upper level biology courses instead of the chem minor. But yeah, no need to double major.

About the Ads

Neurosis

Jul 29, 2011
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
don't double major, choose the one you like more and take some electives in the other one. in the end no one will care, and you will be doing yourself a huge favor.

RedSox10

5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Unfortunately, I dont think admocs are impressed by double majors. You're better off choosing the route that will give you the best GPA. Not to mention an Econ major stands out among the droves of Science majors applying to Med School.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Unfortunately, I dont think admocs are impressed by double majors. You're better off choosing the route that will give you the best GPA. Not to mention an Econ major stands out among the droves of Science majors applying to Med School.

How well you do is magnitudes more important than how much you do. The perceived workload of your major, double major, etc will likely receive little or no consideration by an adcom in terms of GPA/academic achievement. If an additional workload will hinder your grades, then it is not advisable to do so. Do it because you want it and do well in it.

As the poster above pointed out econ majors would stick out, in fact social/behavioral science majors have a higher rate of acceptance than bio majors. However, across all majors, accepted students had sGPA of 3.6, cGPA of 3.7, and MCAT 30+ .

My point is workload and major do not matter. GPA and MCAT do. Anything that will hinder that, such as an excessive double major needs to be reconsidered

TheKDizzle

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Have to agree with what's been said. Don't, don't, don't double major.

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
The advice you're given here should be taken into consideration, but shouldn't be followed in all circumstances.

Double major if you want. If you really believe you can handle it and have a passion for the field, go ahead.

Just keep in mind that double majors have little to no impact on the adcom's decisions. It might make interesting talk in an interview, but that's it. Like the others have said, if you don't need to double major, don't. If you really want to, knock yourself out.

tony729

5+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2012
Status (Visible)
Thank you everyone for the great advice, I think sticking to one major will free up a lot of time EC's to show a more well-rounded person

Praefectus

MS-0
Mar 30, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My dad once told me that it's better to have a vertical education (i.e. multiple degrees like Masters, MD, etc.) that to have a horizontal one (dual bachelor's).

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.