Help!! Gap Year? MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anondeep

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am feeling quite overwhelmed about what I should do. I'm currently a junior. I haven't really studied for the MCAT but am planning to take it in April and apply to schools during the summer based on that score. I will be graduating early (December 2018) instead of May (2019) of senior year. I was thinking about taking a gap year as I feel overwhelmed with the amount of time I have left to study, but am confused on when I should take the MCAT if I do take a gap year. Should I go to grad school during the gap year? When should I apply after the gap year? But, due to me graduating early, I feel like the timeline is skewed and I would have more than a year.
Any and all help would be appreciated.

My GPA is on the low side (3.45) but will be improved in the upcoming semester. I have a solid resume with volunteering, mentoring, research, shadowing, and leadership (e-board of clubs).

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I am feeling quite overwhelmed about what I should do. I'm currently a junior. I haven't really studied for the MCAT but am planning to take it in April and apply to schools during the summer based on that score. I will be graduating early (December 2018) instead of May (2019) of senior year. I was thinking about taking a gap year as I feel overwhelmed with the amount of time I have left to study, but am confused on when I should take the MCAT if I do take a gap year. Should I go to grad school during the gap year? When should I apply after the gap year? But, due to my graduating early, I feel like the timeline is skewed and I would have more than a year.
Any and all help would be appreciated.

My GPA is on the low side (3.45) but will be improved in the upcoming semester. I have a solid resume with volunteering, mentoring, research, shadowing, and leadership (e-board of clubs).

Thank you in advance.

I was in the same position as you when it came to studying for the MCAT. I ended up taking my MCAT in September of my senior year so that I could have all of summer to study for it and then use that score to apply for the programs. You would be applying for the Master/Post Bacc programs starting in February to start in the Fall of the following year. There are some programs that you can apply earlier to and actually start spring/winter semester (in December). You'll just have to find which ones provide that option.