Help! How do I even get started?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmokrzyc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First post! Greetings everyone!

I'm heavily considering a career change from engineering to an M.D. There's lots of questions to ask, most of which I haven't even discovered yet. But I'm currently in the process of determining what classes from my engineering degrees (M.S. & B.S.) that can be used towards my pre-med pre-reqs. The answer is... I'm missing quite a few. That has lead to a rediscovery of just how expensive college education is!!! Are there any scholarship or programs out there for those of us that have an established career but are wishing to enter medical school?

Thanks,

-Brian

Update:

I'm currently 28 and live in Iowa City, IA.

I have been employed by University of Iowa for six years, working as an electrical engineer developing space hardware (NASA spacecraft) for Juno and RBSP. The majority of the funding for these projects will be drying up in the next few months and as a result my hours will be likely reduced to 50% time. I figured this would be a good time to take courses and work, but am still looking for tuition assistance if any is available.

The UI provides tuition assistance for those that take courses that are applicable to developing the employee for the role they are in or can be directly promoted to. Such as an engineer taking management classes to become a project manager. I think I would have a hard time making an argument that organic chemistry would be beneficial to this role. As I understand it looks as though the courses I would need to take prior to the MCAT are:

Chem 2 + Lab
Bio 1 & 2 + Lab
O-Chem 1 & 2 + Lab

Also my GPAs are as follows

3.50 for B.S. in Electrical Engineering
3.49 for M.S. in Electrical Engineering

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
CC + Pell/Stafford/TuitionReimbursement.

I'm assuming you are employed. Make sure your employer doesn't give tuition reimbursement for elective classes. Some employers will reimburse you for any class you want to take no matter if it's for an approved degree or not. Most employers only reimburse for approved degree programs. But still, check.

Second, take the remaining classes you need at a community college at night. The tuition is cheap, the classes will be easier and not filled with extra material you don't need for the MCAT, and med schools won't care because you are working and already have an masters in engineering.

If you're unemployed, then it's a different story, but I would still try and find a job considering you have high earning potential, and take the classes at night.

This is my opinion. Someone told me when I started "whatever you do, don't quit your job to do pre-med full-time" That was some of the best advice I ever got.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is my opinion. Someone told me when I started "whatever you do, don't quit your job to do pre-med full-time" That was some of the best advice I ever got.
I agree with this if cumulative undergrad GPA is competitive (3.6+).

But if cumulative GPA is sub-competitive (typical with engineering courseloads), then doing a formal program or otherwise studying full time is a good idea. Working full time during such an effort is either not possible or not optimal.

3 things need to get done as you finish prereqs:
1. Straight A's
2. MCAT content prep (not the same as test prep, done separately)
3. Faculty recommendations

Everything you need to know is on SDN, but if you want to study the process and get your brain around it, I recommend the Iserson book. After reading that, come here for updated info & strategy.

Today would be a good day to start clinical volunteering. 4 hrs/week forever.

Now is the time to think about moving, if the state you live in is difficult. California, New York, maybe Pennsylvania are difficult. Moving to Texas to work for the next year before you start prereqs, for example, would set you up to have access to lots of good, cheap schools that are reasonably competitive - and it takes 2 years to establish a domicile.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the replies. I've updated my original post to include additional details.

I don't disagree with working and taking courses at the same time. It's just funny how much time work can take outside of the normal 40 hr/wk window (sometimes up to 80-90) and I fear that my classes will be the ones to suffer. Although with my hours being reduced in the near future this would be an ideal time to be able to start taking some of my pre-reqs.

Although I would prefer to avoid taking general classes at the University of Iowa, I will look more in-depth in their employee tuition reimbursement policy. I'm about 90% certain that it's not going to fly in this case, but I'll check regardless. I would like to avoid huge lecture halls with 200+ students if at all possible.

For Texas schools in particular, you must establish residency for cheap access to these school? A buddy of mine went to one in Galveston and I can't remember if he lived there for a year beforehand. Although his parents live in Houston... maybe that was the reason.

Thanks again,

-Brian

The reason I brought up changing states is tuition. If you can't get into a state school, you're reasonably looking at $250k -$300k student debt.

Iowa is a decent bet, and your GPA is good enough.

Priority #1 is getting A's in your classes. If you can do this & still work, great, otherwise you can't try to work during prereqs. It's that simple.

Clinical volunteering!!!! Early & often!!!

Best of luck to you.

I agree with this if cumulative undergrad GPA is competitive (3.6+).

I think 3.6 is a little high. If I were so uncompetitive (sub 3.0) that I felt I need to quit my job and pay 40 grand for a post-bac program, then my application would be risky enough anyway to prevent me from quitting my job. I don't see any situation where I would quit my job to pursue this career path. Either I would be a strong enough applicant that night school wouldn't matter, or the whole thing would be way too much of a gamble and I wouldn't bother. I suppose this depends on how much you are willing to risk to make this happen.

Even with a GPA in the lower 3's, I don't see a problem with night school courses while working. Since you're employeed, take your sweet time studying for the MCAT, and do well on it. A nontrad engineer with a masters and a 3.2 and 36 MCAT will get in SOMEWHERE.

Last edited:
Although I would prefer to avoid taking general classes at the University of Iowa

And that would be smart. Community College serves the needs of working older applicants perfectly. Community college classes are perfect preparation for the MCAT. Who the heck knows what you'll get taught at a major state school or what b.s. you will have to put up with. Night school teachers understand the needs of their students and are focused on teaching only the pertinent material. Some lame college prof with 500 19 year old students in his class... totally different story. You could get stuck in an a weed-out general chem course and pull a D. That never happens at the community college. Do well on the MCAT and the admission guys won't give you any crap, especially at state schools.