How do you even start to organize the process of going to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Analog Synth Guy

Reaction score
I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm still at the beginning (no MCAT, might need some pre-reqs, haven't chosen any schools for sure). I need some assistance organizing this process.

1) Do you find your school list first, check their application requirements, and then work toward meeting those criteria and applying? And then after you apply and/or are accepted, do you THEN start working on financial aid GI Bill stuff?

2) Will schools evaluate transcripts to tell you if you need additional coursework prior to being eligible for applying? Will they do it for free or will this cost money?

It just seems like so many factors in the process depend on having a school picked out or being accepted, but then other things seem like you need to pick out a school based on your current factors (GPA, MCAT score, scholarships, etc.).

I've been diving into this hard for a couple weeks now and I feel like the more I learn, the more I realize I have no clue about (like most things in life, eh?). There's just so many variables and so many ways to skin this cat that I can't seem to get a foothold in understanding a clear, concise process.

I guess I'm just looking for some sort of step-by-step guide for how someone new to this whole process can start to organize their school search, each school's requirements versus what they have now, application & timing, funding & scholarships, housing, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

2) Schools will not check this in advance. It's up to you to ensure you completed all the requirements before matriculation, not necessarily before application. You can email them if you're not sure.

I read your other post. You set yourself up in a pickle because you were looking at schools that didn't have hard requirements. But I think you'll find that most schools do have them. Either way, the schools that merely "recommend" coursework will expect proficiency in the sciences. So, IMHO, you should plan to take all the prereqs. It doesn't make sense to have a school list until you receive your official MCAT score, but obviously count on your in-state.

Reactions: 1 users
2) Schools will not check this in advance. It's up to you to ensure you completed all the requirements before matriculation, not necessarily before application. You can email them if you're not sure.

I read your other post. You set yourself up in a pickle because you were looking at schools that didn't have hard requirements. But I think you'll find that most schools do have them. Either way, the schools that merely "recommend" coursework will expect proficiency in the sciences. So, IMHO, you should plan to take all the prereqs. It doesn't make sense to have a school list until you receive your official MCAT score, but obviously count on your in-state.
Hmm. So you think MCAT > School choice > then prereqs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay... catching up. OP has years of experience as a nurse and some other experiences ongoing.

To help with discussion:

We have a lot of other articles in our archive, and I think many of them may address your questions.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are at The Beginning, tell us first about your shadowing and clinical experience. Let's make sure this is a trip worth taking for the right reasons.
Hi; so I haven't done any official shadowing per se, but I have been a nurse for 16 years (14 years active duty) and continue to work in the hospital as an IT guy. When I was deployed, I worked closely with my PAs and MDs/DOs to treat patients for 14+ hours a day, 6 days a week. It was assessments, exams, and I even got to perform a couple minor surgeries under their supervision. Upon return, I was the worked closely with the battalion flight surgeon doing similar stuff (although no more surgery) - mostly documentation and assessments. A majority of my time as a nurse has been in teaching hospitals and working closely with docs training med school students and training new nurses myself. Essentially, a majority of my adult life has been working as a healthcare professional. I love the smell of a hospital in the morning :)

I'm definitely motivated to go down this path and have a pretty good grasp on what the job entails. I tend to thrive in the academic environment and clinical rotations. The main thing frustrating my efforts is just getting in the program to begin with, which is why I'm trying to be as organized, methodical, and to whatever degree is possible given my natural dispositions, patient.

I'm in conversation with a half a dozen doctors that I work with about this. They're all very encouraging and have offered to help in any way they can.

@Mr.Smile12 - thank you for that. I'll look at those this evening!

It could appear overwhelming but the process is very straight forward.

I was also a nurse for a few yrs.

I just took the prereqs and get very close to couple science professors (Bio 2 and gen chem 1) so I could get LORs and then took the MCAT.

When I applied, I remember most schools required bio 1/2, gen chem 1/2, physics 1/2, orgo 1/2, genetics, biochem, math and english. If you take these courses, you will fulfill the requirements for most US schools.

It could appear overwhelming but the process is very straight forward.

I was also a nurse for a few yrs.

I just took the prereqs and get very close to couple science professors (Bio 2 and gen chem 1) so I could get LORs and then took the MCAT.

When I applied, I remember most schools required bio 1/2, gen chem 1/2, physics 1/2, orgo 1/2, genetics, biochem, math and english. If you take these courses, you will fulfill the requirements for most US schools.
Yeah, I've set up a plan for most of the classes. Just working on how to fun them at the moment. If I can get scholarship, I could just use my GI Bill for these pre-reqs. If I can't, then I'll need my GI Bill for med school. Being in the Guard, the TA situation is dicey at best. I'm working on going back to active duty, as federal TA is quick and straight-forward. Still might have to pay out of pocket a little, but better than the ~15k it would cost if I did it all on my own. Still not a complete deal-breaker, but I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible.

For now, I'm going to work on MCAT studying until I get my pre-reqs plan sorted out.

I appreciate everyone's input here. I think I'm starting to grasp the process. I have a lot of wonderful doctors in my life who are stoked for me and have offered to help in any way possible.

Honestly, most applicants complete their pre-reqs first in order to strengthen their knowledge base before they take the MCAT. You seem to be focused on selecting schools before you know how competitive you’ll be.

If I can get scholarship, I could just use my GI Bill for these pre-reqs.

For now, I'm going to work on MCAT studying until I get my pre-reqs plan sorted out.
I'm not sure how the GI Bill works but I would lean toward saving it for med school in case your scholarship doesn't fully cover it. DIY postbac classes are much cheaper. As a non-degree student you may have a credit cap per semester.
Hmm. So you think MCAT > School choice > then prereqs?
I always recommend taking Biochem before the MCAT, because there's lots of biochem on the test. That would entail taking Gen Chem 1/2 and O-chem 1 beforehand. It may be possible for you to self-study it, but that's for you to decide. The more prereqs you complete before the MCAT, the more prepared you'll be.

i would agree, prereqs then MCAT, then choose your schools. you really need the prereqs to give you a solid foundation for the
MCAT

Agree with the above: pre-reqs->MCAT->select schools. Most schools have similar pre-req requirements so cover the basics. Plus those will help prep you for MCAT. Save GI Bill for med school. It's usually worth a lot more for med school, especially if schools have yellow ribbon. Don't go active duty for TA. Honestly, 15k is chump-change in this process. Best to be able to devote as much time to studying for pre-reqs and MCAT which will be harder on active duty. If you do well, better chance to get into the school you want (i.e. yellow-ribbon or state schools that will provide full-cost) or be eligible for scholarships.