help! how do I get in the PA field???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tranquility

:::SMILE!!:::
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Here's my dilemma. I am currently about to get my associates in Medical Lab Technology. I just find out that the degree is non transferrable. Around here (NJ) the PA programs all require a BS to get in or I can do one of there 6 year programs. What stinks is that my credits don't count for anything unless I go to finish getting my med tech degree, then Ill have a BS in that, then I can get into the PA masters program. The problem with that is...The last year (third year might I add) of trying to achieve that BS is 12 months of clinicals, which seems pointless because once I get my A.S.S in may, I can work in a lab already. I can also change my major to bio and start all over..which I *really* dont want to do. But I need the advice of some PAs or PA students now....what is the better idea..? Also, where anywhere...are some good choices for PA schools that I can speak to...or go look at?
Any advice is appreciated!! Thanks all!!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

My guess is that you may not have requirements such as Anatomy and Physiology I&II, etc. Look at the PA programs you want to apply to and make sure that what ever track you chose that you have fulfilled the coursework requirement to get in to PA school. I think your decision will be more apparent to you based upon the pre-requisite requirements for PA schools that you are interested in.
Not knowing your situation completely, my suggestion is to go for your BS in Medical Technology and while you are completing the remaining coursework for that, take any remaining prerequisite courses for PA school so that you can be done with it all when you graduate with your BS-MedTech. Upon graduation you should start work as a Med Tech and shortly begin your application process for PA-School. This way you'll have a year or so of experience and some cash in the bank before you start school. With your degree as a med tech have you considered the option of Pathologist Assistant? Check out www.pathologistsassistants.org for more info on that profession.
______
CTS-PA

We have 3 med techs in our master's PA program & they are all doing very well. Their academic background was helpful in the didactic year, & their clinical experience is helping them in rotations as well.

You will not be at a deficit by getting your bachelor's in Med Tech, you will have far more options open to you that way.

Here is a weblink where you can subscribe to an online PA programs directory, very helpful in the application process. Just scroll down & look on the right hand side of the webpage & click on the link for the directory. There is a one year subscription fee of $35 if I remember correctly.

http://www.apap.org/

Good luck,
M :)

Members don't see this ad :)
also if you are willing to relocate there are still a bunch of bs level programs you could get into once you have an a.s.

I'm currently a PA student with a med tech background (BS degree). My advice to you is to stick through your AS and then right away finish off with the BS. The experience you'll get with the classes & lab is priceless. Classmates wonder how I know lab tests & normal values so well. :D I know it may seem a long time to get through, but it'll be worth it when you're applying to PA schools & then eventually in a program. Plus, when you're working after you finish your AS, the hospital you're working for may pay your way through to finish your BS. You may also try to ask the med tech program if you can do a shortened clinical year if you do the BS. I worked as a med tech for 4 years before getting into PA school and I'm glad I had the experience instead of getting in right away after college. If you have any more ?'s, feel free to ask :)

yes, my question to that is.....the school im at is a community school which is where I am getting my AAS. When I finish, I gotta go to Rutgers or some school like that over here..THEN do my third year clinical rotation at UMDNJ...The school told me, during clinicals, I will not be able to work b/c it is 12 months of 9-4 rotations. Is that REALLY worth it?? losing a whole year like that seems kinda rough..dont you think? But I can definately see what you are saying about sticking with med tech b/c Ill know more in the long run...

to CTP-yes, I already have anatomy I and II and most of my pre-reqs..I just need the experience and whatnot. And also, very not interesterd in pathology..but thanks for the suggestion.

to emedpa-yeah..I have no issues with relocating...but i did already look into those BS PA schools. It still requires me to start over. The school all have 6 year programs. I found one..in AHMherst,ny called Daeman college that has a 5 year program. Anyone know anything about that school or that area??

Thanks to everyone for the help!!

if you already have a 2 yr degree you do 2 more at a pa school and get the bs, you do not have to do 4-5 yrs. you do have to have all the prereqs before the 2 yr program....that might take you a while if you don't have them but the programs are all around 2 yrs

From what I'm reading, your AS credits won't be transferrable anywhere, even if you went to a 2-year BS PA program out of state? Those 5 & 6-yr programs sound like they're combined BS/MS PA degrees & I don't really know how those programs work for being so long. If you're willing to relocate far, there are still 2-yr BS programs out there - I interviewed at one in Roanoke, VA. But if you want to get your MS PA degree eventually, get the BS in med tech. Losing a year or whatever isn't that long, believe me, I don't know what happened to 2004 - half of it was being in PA school. Anyways, the 3 years extra of getting your BS in med tech will be much more worth it than starting completely over, you may be wasting time taking classes you've already had. Learning about every minute detail of hematology, microbiology, blood banking, etc. makes some of my PA classes just a "little" bit easier!!!

[

I agree! Melcal is right.

most west coast bs level programs allow anyone with all the prereqs and an as level degree to complete pa school in 2 yrs there are even a few programs that allow folks with an as to do 3 yrs and get an ms. the vast majority of currently practicing pa's out of school > 10 yrs had an as in paramedic,resp. therapy, or as an rn then did a 2 yr program. I did a bs level program and that was the case for the majority of my class.Many bs level programs do not even care about the as degree as long as you have a certain # of transfer credits including all prereqs.
MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies
Physician Assistant Training Program

Bachelor of Clinical Health Services Degree Option

Applicants interested in the Bachelor option must meet University of Washington admission requirements. Applicants not admissible to the University will be admitted in the MEDEX Physician Assistant program in the certificate only option. To apply for the BCHS option, the applicant must first be accepted to the MEDEX Northwest program.
Transfer Admission Requirements

A transfer student is one who has earned college credit at an accredited college or university after leaving high school. In general, 5 quarter credits at the college level is equivalent to one year of high school study. The basic UW admission requirements for transfer students are the same as for freshman. Please refer to the University of Washington Transfer Admission Requirements.

Transfer applicants are ranked by the UW on the Admission Index (AI), based on a combination of their test scores and grades, unless they qualify for admission under the Direct Transfer Agreement. College grades are used to determine the ranking if the student has completed at least 40 quarter credits of transferable college study.

AS TO MS OPTION AT PACIFIC UNIVERSITY. AS + 1 YR BS COMPLETION(AT PACIFIC) + 2 YR PA PROGRAM = MS IN 3 YRS FROM AS LEVEL:
Admission: Physician Assistant Studies
Bachelor Degree Completion Option

A bachelor's degree is required of all students accepted into our Master's program. Students completing their bachelor's degree in our Bachelor's completion program, must complete the bachelor's coursework in the 1st year of the professional Master's program.
Students may earn a Bachelor of Science degree from Pacific University offered by the School of Physician Assistant Study (minimum 124 hours). The eligible student must be admitted to the School of Physician Assistant Studies and have completed 86 semester hours of transfer credit that includes all of the above prerequisites for the PA program. In addition, the following courses are required to fulfill the degree requirements for the College of Arts and Sciences and must be completed prior to the start of the PA program.
* ARTS: 3 semester hours in Art, Music or Theatre
* HUMANITIES: 6 semester hours. Two courses from two different disciplines in literature, philosophy or humanities.
* FOREIGN LANGUAGE: 6 semester hours. Students whose native language is not English will be exempt. Students can either fulfill this requirement by completing two language courses before beginning the program or by taking the two Spanish Language electives offered by the PA program. The Spanish I course is taught during the Spring semester of the first year. Please note that Spanish II course is an immersion program taught in Costa Rica during the two weeks between the first and second year of the professional program. The additional costs associated with this course (including travel, housing and tuition) are in addition to the PA program tuition and the responsibility of the student.
* Upon successful completion of the first year of the professional program and the above requirements, the student will receive 40 semester hours of upper division credit and awarded the Bachelor in Science in Health Studies degree.