Help! How do you "page" a doctor in the OR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medintograd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sorry if this sounds like an incredibly stupid or naive question - but I figure medical students would know - how do you "page" a doctor? Can you use a cell phone to send a text to a pager? I have the number of the doctor and was told to page them.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry if this sounds like an incredibly stupid or naive question - but I figure medical students would know - how do you "page" a doctor? Can you use a cell phone to send a text to a pager? I have the number of the doctor and was told to page them.

Ask the nurse or medical staff. If you're in the hospital, you can pick up a hardline phone and put in the number of the pager (usually preceded by an astriks or something). If you're outside the hospital, you can use your cellphone or homephone, but you usually have to put in the hospital's acess number first and then the pager number.

1. the number is for a pager. You call it and it tells you to enter your phone number or text and the dr calls you when they recieve the page.

Or

2.Call the number the doctor gave you. It goes to a hospital operator. Ask them to page Dr X. They

Members don't see this ad :)

lol...easiest way is to ask a nurse (better if a different one than the one that told you to page) how to use the paging system in the hospital. All hospitals are different. You usually have to press an initial #, which will then tell you to input the Dr. phone number, and then you will have to input your callback number....then you wait by the phone till it rings.

Thanks - I'm observing a surgery tomorrow and have to find the surgeon... (the surgeon gave me the number to page, so I have no nurse contact)

Thanks - I'm observing a surgery tomorrow and have to find the surgeon... (the surgeon gave me the number to page, so I have no nurse contact)

Gotcha...go to the hospital early before the surgery. Ask the front desk how to page someone. And at the appropriate time page the doctor. Sometimes surgeries can happen earlier or later than expected, so better early than late.

Is there a "front desk" on an OR floor? (it's in a big fancy teaching hospital)

dial pager number 1-123-456-7890...wait for beep...dial your number 1-098-765-4321....then dial this mathematical formula 1<380085. :rolleyes:

Is there a "front desk" on an OR floor? (it's in a big fancy teaching hospital)

Yup. It's usually where the "big board" for the day's cases/add ons is located.