Help!how important is a summer ob-gyn fellowship after first year of med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saradoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i am finishing up my first year and after getting married/going on a short honeymoon at the beginning of summer i was scheduled to do a 4 week ob-gyn clinical fellowship. I found out today this this will be five days a week from 6am-6pm and is paid next to nothing, which is of course not why im doing it but still a factor. I am interested in ob-gyn and i think we get a letter of evaluation to put in our academic record, but then again this is our last summer everrr and im just not sure i want to be quite so crazy and tired after a whole year of studying. This is through my schools hospital which is most likely not a hospital i would consider for residency either. Any opinions on whether i should turn it down? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

To be honest with you I dont think it really matters unless you are going to a) want to go there or b) going to get a kick ass letter of recommendation.

I basically took my first year summer off. (I volunteered in a pediatric clinic because I thought that is what I wanted). Anyways, and I still got great interviews and matched where I wanted. I think it is more important doing away rotations fourth year.