Help! how to find JAMA article from 1935?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

getunconcsious

Very tired PGY1
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
So my attending on medicine is really into research/reading (which is fine with me, I'd rather read than scut any day), but she recently made the impossible request that I find the original article by McGinn and White describing EKG changes in pulmonary embolism. The problem? This article is from 1935! I've searched the web and not found it. JAMA themselves only offer access to articles from 1966 to present. The medical library here only goes back to 1960. Does anyone here know how/where to find UBER old articles like this, or should I just tell her it can't be done? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
So my attending on medicine is really into research/reading (which is fine with me, I'd rather read than scut any day), but she recently made the impossible request that I find the original article by McGinn and White describing EKG changes in pulmonary embolism. The problem? This article is from 1935! I've searched the web and not found it. JAMA themselves only offer access to articles from 1966 to present. The medical library here only goes back to 1960. Does anyone here know how/where to find UBER old articles like this, or should I just tell her it can't be done? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Talk to your school librarian. You'd be surprised what can be obtained through inter-library loan.

I think ham-tmc library may be able to get a PDF of the article to you in a couple of days. Like L2D said, they will probably just get another library to send it over.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think ham-tmc library may be able to get a PDF of the article to you in a couple of days. Like L2D said, they will probably just get another library to send it over.

OK so there ARE places that would have the article that can send them over? HAM-TMC told me they only have articles from 1960 or later. On a side note, why do Baylor students call it HAM-TMC? It's such an ugly name. Everyone at UT calls it "jesse jones"

OK so there ARE places that would have the article that can send them over? HAM-TMC told me they only have articles from 1960 or later. On a side note, why do Baylor students call it HAM-TMC? It's such an ugly name. Everyone at UT calls it "jesse jones"

yes, ask the librarian b/c SOME library has those copies.

I'm not sure why i call it ham-tmc (pronounced HAM-tam-ic :laugh::laugh:). i guess it's just habit.

Everytime someone asks about EKG changes in Pulmonary Embolism, I die a little bit on the inside.

(And yes, I know what the "correct answer" is. But the real correct answer is "You should never be diagnosing PE from an EKG")

But on a related front, yeah, talk to your librarians. They're the masters of this stuff.

Everytime someone asks about EKG changes in Pulmonary Embolism, I die a little bit on the inside.

(And yes, I know what the "correct answer" is. But the real correct answer is "You should never be diagnosing PE from an EKG")

But on a related front, yeah, talk to your librarians. They're the masters of this stuff.

OMG...sooooo true! It's just one of those stupid points of clinical trivia :rolleyes: Anyways I don't see her point in having me track down some 70-year old article. I found it and made copies but lots of more current stuff on PE includes the gist of White&McGinn plus much more current info. I think sometimes attendings just make you do stuff to show how diligent you are; there isn't really much educational value in it.

Wow what a great use of the student's time:rolleyes: It would of been much better use of everyone's time if she just taught you about EKG changes with PE.