HELP! I am completely burned out in the first week of school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinesedude

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a junior this year and am taking about 16 units. Last semester, I took 23 units and did great. I felt like I was on top of the world and that I had all my priorities straightened. Come this year, I feel lazy, unmotivated, uninspired, and frankly just tired and burnt out. This is happening in the first week!!! I had this feeling last year but certainly not until finals.

I don't know what to do. I honestly just feel like quitting and not going to lectures so I can sleep in (lectures are later this year too).

arggh im frustrated but at the same time, can't muster up the determination to do anything about it.

Members don't see this ad.

You may have burnt yourself out by overdoing your workload last semester, but there could be any combination of psychological things going on. Seek out your school's mental health counseling center and bring your concerns to them.

Reactions: 2 users
"Do it. Just do it. *Flexes* Don't let your dreams be dreams. Yesterday you said tomorrow, so just do it. Make your dreams come true, just do it. Some people dream of success. While you're gonna wake up and work hard at it. Nothing is impossible. You should get to the point where anyone else would quit and you're not going to stop there. No, what are you waiting for? Do it, just do it. Yes you can. Just do it. If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up. *Flexes*"
- Mr. Shia Labeouf

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You may have burnt yourself out by overdoing your workload last semester, but there could be any combination of psychological things going on. Seek out your school's mental health counseling center and bring your concerns to them.
I agree with you. Last year, I took a total of 46 units and did very very well to compensate for my low freshman year. Now, I'm struggling to get back to that state of "focus". Also, there's the MCAT coming up and I have new extracurricular committments (employment, fraternity position, volunteering). It's all piling on in this first week and I am so damn stressed. I have no idea what to do ahhhh

I am a junior this year and am taking about 16 units. Last semester, I took 23 units and did great. I felt like I was on top of the world and that I had all my priorities straightened. Come this year, I feel lazy, unmotivated, uninspired, and frankly just tired and burnt out. This is happening in the first week!!! I had this feeling last year but certainly not until finals.

I don't know what to do. I honestly just feel like quitting and not going to lectures so I can sleep in (lectures are later this year too).

arggh im frustrated but at the same time, can't muster up the determination to do anything about it.

In the same boat, kinda. I don't think it's burnout. Just general depression/pussya*sness that I need to snap out of if I'm ever gonna have a prayer of getting through training.

Maybe try doing something fun with friends (drugs/orgy?) to take the edge off.

This is bullsh*t. JUST DO IT (NIKE)!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
I might reduce the time commitments, i.e. postpone the MCAT, don't necessarily do all the EC commitments...

This is bullsh*t. JUST DO IT (NIKE)!!!!!
I've seen bros walking around campus with (I'm assuming non-approved by Nike) shirts that are kind of aggressive. They'll say stuff like "JUST F**KING DO IT YOU P**SY A** C**T", and I'm like chill out, jeez...

I've seen bros walking around campus with (I'm assuming non-approved by Nike) shirts that are kind of aggressive. They'll say stuff like "JUST F**KING DO IT YOU P**SY A** C**T", and I'm like chill out, jeez...

Bro, if you were in a frat, you'd understand...*shakes head knowingly*

If you're burnt out, go enjoy yourself with something. Splurge on an hour of LoL. Enjoy life, just don't screw it up or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
But we're getting super OT, here. OP, I urge you once more to check out some counseling and look to your academic success center for more direction. You've kicked arse before and you can do it again!

If you're burnt out, go enjoy yourself with something. Splurge on an hour of LoL. Enjoy life, just don't screw it up or anything.

I like how LoL is the first thing you think of when talking about "enjoying yourself." :D

Caution: LoL is highly addictive. I'd sooner splurge on coke+hookers - would likely be better for your health in the long run.

I like how LoL is the first thing you think of when talking about "enjoying yourself." :D

Caution: LoL is highly addictive. I'd sooner splurge on coke+hookers - would likely be better for your health in the long run.

You're right! There's no such thing as "just one hour of LoL". Sorry for being off-topic, but OP I'm sure you'll do well this semester and it's normal to feel burnt out. Like I said, take the time to fix the problem and enjoy yourself so that this feeling doesn't creep up towards midterm week or anything.

You're right! There's no such thing as "just one hour of LoL".

Exactly. I've got a friend deep into this **** right now. We're planning a heart-wrenching intervention with his family.

(seriously I think computer game rehab may be a thing in the near future....if it's not already)

LoL is EXACTLY like crack, even the communities they spawn from are the same!

But... you're Asian...

Take a day off, look after yourself. Eat well, exercise, go see a park or something.

"Do it. Just do it. *Flexes* Don't let your dreams be dreams. Yesterday you said tomorrow, so just do it. Make your dreams come true, just do it. Some people dream of success. While you're gonna wake up and work hard at it. Nothing is impossible. You should get to the point where anyone else would quit and you're not going to stop there. No, what are you waiting for? Do it, just do it. Yes you can. Just do it. If you're tired of starting over, stop giving up. *Flexes*"
- Mr. Shia Labeouf

hqdefault.jpg

The funniest thing about this is that Shia Lebeouf is right.

Too many students believe that taking hard classes/a big coursework is highly valued. Not that it isn't important for a wide variety of reasons, but as it's been stated on SDN in many, many threads, getting a higher GPA is generally considered more important than taking hard classes in terms of garnering acceptances from medical schools.

Relax, don't worry if you need to drop a class (or 2), and put your mental well-being above all.

I feel my workload and motivation are oddly anagous to physics equations.

"Bodies at rest tend to stay at rest and bodies in motion tend to stay in motion". It's basically really hard to go back after having a chill summer, but gets easier once your used to it again.

"You don't feel the velocity your going at, but you do notice acceleration". So basically your brain notices changes in workload and may be shocked by the drastic increase from summer to

Reactions: 1 users
I feel my workload and motivation are oddly anagous to physics equations.

"Bodies at rest tend to stay at rest and bodies in motion tend to stay in motion". It's basically really hard to go back after having a chill summer, but gets easier once your used to it again.

"You don't feel the velocity your going at, but you do notice acceleration". So basically your brain notices changes in workload and may be shocked by the drastic increase from summer to

Cosign.

Libraries are your friend. Leave computer and cellphone at home.
Take textbook to library. Bang out a couple of chapters