Help! I don't know what to do!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetsaja

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm graduating in May, but I have no idea what I'm doing in the future. I've always wanted to be a doctor, but now im doubting myself. Due to certain life circumstances, I did not apply to medical school or take the MCAT yet. Therefore, I will be having a gap year. My GPA is 3.4+. I don't want to specialize, I just want to be a primary care doctor. I might be getting married next year as well, and that kinda complicates things cuz I don't want to be too far away from family. Should I do something for a yr and then apply to med schools? but there's no guarantee that i will get in. i only have one state school, and i prob wont get in there ....or i could apply to the caribbean and save that year? but i would be racking up a loooot of loans....or apply now to dental schools even though its kinda late and screw my dream for a better lifestyle? The idea of residency with a family is kinda scaring me too. I know I can do it, but how much can I strain my family? Can you guys go over the pros and cons of each situation just so I can clear my head? Thanks! Sorry for the rambling.

Members don't see this ad.

I might be getting married next year as well, and that kinda complicates things cuz I don't want to be too far away from family. Should I do something for a yr and then apply to med schools? but there's no guarantee that i will get in. i only have one state school, and i prob wont get in there ....or i could apply to the caribbean and save that year?

This has me confused. If you don't want to leave your state why would you go to the Caribbean? Maybe I misunderstood.

Do you have options for medical school in nearby states?

or apply now to dental schools even though its kinda late and screw my dream for a better lifestyle?

Only a good option if you're interested in dentistry.

Should I do something for a yr and then apply to med schools?

Lots of people do a gap year and then apply, definetly a viable option. You could uses the time to shore up any potential weaknesses in your app. (I'm not assuming it's bad, just saying most everyone has a least one thing they can work on). Could get a job and save $. And don't forget to study up and own the MCAT.

The idea of residency with a family is kinda scaring me too. I know I can do it, but how much can I strain my family?

This is kind of out of my realm, so I'll leave it for a better informed poster to answer. However, I will say that you should probably talk about your concerns and plans with your fiance if you haven't already. It might help you narrow down your options.

I think you should go to medical school if you really want to be a doctor. Every premed doubts themselves, which is why there is a "What are my chances" section of this website. If you get married, why do you assume your partner won't support you and move with you? How do you know you just won't get a spot in that state school? don't go to the caribbean unless you give the U.S. a try, why be an FMG if you don't have to??? Have you shadowed a doc? Maybe in this time off you should shadow one for a few weeks and see if you really see yourself in his/her shoes.

If u like primary care then do NHSC scholarship and have your loans paid while getting a stipend during medical school, all for a repayment of service after your residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the thing I like about the Caribbean is that I could get accepted for august 2009 and it's only 16 months and then the rest is in the US. However, the financial aspect, attrition rate, and 3rd world part scares me. I woud ofcourse rather go to US MD or DO school, but I wouldn't be able to start until Aug 2010, that is if I get in the first time...Would it be better to save a year and go to the Caribbean and have more loans or spend an extra yr doing something productive and hoping I get in to a US school. I feel like I won't get any advantage from any state advantage and my stats aren't all that great. I would like to stay in the midwest, but if need be, I guess I could move away for a yr or two.

Thanks for the info about the scholarship. I've never heard of it and will definately check it out!

also look into HPSP if you don't mind military medicine.

don't focus so much on your stats. Heck, look at my MDApps for some inspiration my gpa isn't all that great and I've had some success this cycle. I think that overall you'd be better off staying in the U.S. and not having to worry about the issues that go along with medical school in a foreign country. the caribbean is full of hurricanes, which aren't fun (I live in Miami so I've had my share of big storms).