Help! I think my school LOR service screwed me over!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I had them send my entire file (5 LOR's) to the schools I applied to. I just saw an old e-mail from a school I already interviewed at... at the bottom they mention that they have only received 3 of the 5 LOR's (why, oh why, oh why didn't I see this over 2 months ago when I got the e-mail :mad: ). So, I am worried that all the schools I applied to have only received 3 of my 5 LOR's. The worst thing is that by best LOR (by far) is one of the ones that wasn't sent out! Since I have interviews at 4 other schools, should I just bring the extra LOR's with me to the interview? Or should I send them to the schools ASAP?

Members don't see this ad.

lizanne11 said:
I had them send my entire file (5 LOR's) to the schools I applied to. I just saw an old e-mail from a school I already interviewed at... at the bottom they mention that they have only received 3 of the 5 LOR's (why, oh why, oh why didn't I see this over 2 months ago when I got the e-mail :mad: ). So, I am worried that all the schools I applied to have only received 3 of my 5 LOR's. The worst thing is that by best LOR (by far) is one of the ones that wasn't sent out! Since I have interviews at 4 other schools, should I just bring the extra LOR's with me to the interview? Or should I send them to the schools ASAP?

That's interesting...is it simply a letter sending service or is it a committee letter? Our school is a committee letter and they tell us to absolutely NOT list our letter writers because they may or may not send them all. (If not it is usually because the letter is not from an appropriate source.) I would ask your school if they did send out all the letters and if so, why hadn't that school received them all? If not, why not? You've obviously seen your LOR so the file is not confidential? I would not bring a letter of rec to an interview, I'm guessing schools would not like that since it is supposed to be confidential. I would call the schools you have interviews at and see if all 5 of your letters are in, if not, have you letter writer send it directly to the school (ie, it should not come from you.)

chandelantern said:
That's interesting...is it simply a letter sending service or is it a committee letter? Our school is a committee letter and they tell us to absolutely NOT list our letter writers because they may or may not send them all. (If not it is usually because the letter is not from an appropriate source.) I would ask your school if they did send out all the letters and if so, why hadn't that school received them all? If not, why not? You've obviously seen your LOR so the file is not confidential? I would not bring a letter of rec to an interview, I'm guessing schools would not like that since it is supposed to be confidential. I would call the schools you have interviews at and see if all 5 of your letters are in, if not, have you letter writer send it directly to the school (ie, it should not come from you.)

Okay, thanks. It's not a committee letter... just an LOR sending service. They have been changing to an online system, which is why there may have been the mix-up. I actually HAVEN'T seen any of my LOR's; the file is completely confidential. Did you think I had seen them since I said my best LOR was not sent out? I guess I just assume it's my best LOR... it's from a guy I did a lot of research for, he knows me really well, we had a long conversation about what he would put in the letter, etc.

So, is it a "no-no" to bring LOR's to an interview even if they are sealed, signed over the envelope, etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)
lizanne11 said:
Okay, thanks. It's not a committee letter... just an LOR sending service. They have been changing to an online system, which is why there may have been the mix-up. I actually HAVEN'T seen any of my LOR's; the file is completely confidential. Did you think I had seen them since I said my best LOR was not sent out? I guess I just assume it's my best LOR... it's from a guy I did a lot of research for, he knows me really well, we had a long conversation about what he would put in the letter, etc.

So, is it a "no-no" to bring LOR's to an interview even if they are sealed, signed over the envelope, etc.?

I wouldn't. It's much safer to just have them resent. Handeling them, even when sealed and signed just doesn't carry the same weight of confidentiality when you could just use the letter service to resend them.

Do you go to the UW? Just pay the $7 and have career services send it out! Put in the request now! For a few extra dollars they'll send it out via priority mail. The people there are really nice (if you want to call/email them with your concern) and if you look up on the LEO service there's a history tab that says what letters went to what schools. Also, some schools list on their website which letters they have in your application file, so you can find out which ones to send that way.

Hmm, well okay so you want to send in two missing LORs. Send "the best one" right away via the letter service. That way, it can carry some weight immediately in your post-interview consideration. Save the fifth (and final letter) until you find out their decision. If they waitlist you or tell you they need more time to make a decision, you can send the fifth one in an update so your file gets refreshed.

desiredusername said:
Do you go to the UW? Just pay the $7 and have career services send it out! Put in the request now! For a few extra dollars they'll send it out via priority mail. The people there are really nice (if you want to call/email them with your concern) and if you look up on the LEO service there's a history tab that says what letters went to what schools. Also, some schools list on their website which letters they have in your application file, so you can find out which ones to send that way.

Yup, UW. Career services was closed after I figured all this out... I tried to call and nobody was there. Checked my LEO status online... all my recommendations are in, however when I check my school application status online it says i haven't completed any requests (probably b/c i had LOR's sent before LEO went online). Good idea about checking schools LOR's online. I think Loma Linda has that. Thanks for the advice!

crazy_cavalier said:
Hmm, well okay so you want to send in two missing LORs. Send "the best one" right away via the letter service. That way, it can carry some weight immediately in your post-interview consideration. Save the fifth (and final letter) until you find out their decision. If they waitlist you or tell you they need more time to make a decision, you can send the fifth one in an update so your file gets refreshed.

Okay, I'll do this. I'll try to have my best LOR sent out Monday.

I don't know how they could have accidentally only sent half my file though... :eek:

Good luck with that. I feel for you. My school forgot to send my letters to three of my schools entirely, because they accidentally deleted part of my e-mail (i still don't really believe thats possible, but whatever) and it all worked out. It will for you too :)

lizanne11 said:
Okay, I'll do this. I'll try to have my best LOR sent out Monday.

I don't know how they could have accidentally only sent half my file though... :eek: