HELP! I'm an English Major!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TiffanieS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year california community college student currently majoring in English. However, I have always known that I've wanted to be a physician, preferably family practice, but I don't want to deal with the ordeal of majoring in Biology and barely using it throughout medical school. My burning question is, HOW!?
Transferring from a two-year means completing a minimum of 60 semester units and most if not all of your lower division major requirements. I hear that its very lucrative to pursue a degree in the humanities while taking necessary courses for med school acceptance (and English happens to be my absolute passion), but I don't know how I should go about that. Do I:
1. Complete ALL the med school requirements BEFORE transfer along with my lower division English requirements?
OR
2. Focus on completing my lower division English requirements and fulfilling med school acceptance classes before and after transfer?
I won't have enough classes just with lower division English to be transfer ready, but I'm worried that I won't have time while at my four year to take the electives in the hard sciences (bio, chem, org chem, physics). As an English major will I have the time I need to complete my requirements at both schools?

I'm sorry this question is so long, I have so many questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Well if you want to transfer I would assume you need to meet your TAG requirements and IGETC for your major. Being able to transfer successfully would be my major concern.

I would wait until you are at a UC or CSU to do your prerequisites. It would be advantageous to complete the basic sciences at your BA granting school. You would likely need the English to transfer.