Help! I'm drowning in the PharmD boat!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmdforme2021

Reaction score
I got accepted into 2 distance PharmD programs with 2 interviews still outstanding to be completed. I am very seriously rethinking attending pharmacy school. I have my biology bachelor's and I currently make $42/hour at a pharmaceutical company where I have worked for 9 years. If new grads are being offered a similar amount then I'm accruing debt be and wasting time for no reason. I will finish with my MBA in July. Any suggestions for other online degrees to pursue? I'm completely lost.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Shoot, if you like your job and would be okay with doing that for the rest of your life, I'd say stick with it. $42/hr with a bachelor's (& soon to be MBA) is pretty sweet.

Why do you want to pursue further education?

Reactions: 3 users
I really started thinking seriously last year with covid. We have survived this far and never stopped production but I wanted something else in my educational arsenal persay. I worked as a pharmacy tech part time in 2016. I got a promotion and successive raises starting in 2017. I got a few nice raises and was ok then along came the pandemic. I'm a "people" manager of 30 plus and although I'm great at what I do, I have acquired a rather extensive after work wine collection from mental burnout. My job is nice, laid back, I get alot of freedom to change my schedule when needed but since I'm effective in my role I have been blocked from new roles because they are afraid they can't find anyone to fill my position which is 12 hours every weekend

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have a great job. I would keep it. No way would I take on thousands of dollars in debt for a pharmacy degree, considering how saturated and uncertain the field currently is.

CVS and Walgreens in my area pay 45-50/hr now. Stay away.

Want something in your educational arsenal?

PharmD ain't it boss

Did you know there's a donation fund for unemployed pharmDs?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Easy answer: you’re not on the PharmD boat yet. Don’t get on because the boat is sinking.

Sounds like you could use a job change instead of a career change.

I got accepted into 2 distance PharmD programs with 2 interviews still outstanding to be completed. I am very seriously rethinking attending pharmacy school. I have my biology bachelor's and I currently make $42/hour at a pharmaceutical company where I have worked for 9 years. If new grads are being offered a similar amount then I'm accruing debt be and wasting time for no reason. I will finish with my MBA in July. Any suggestions for other online degrees to pursue? I'm completely lost.
I'm an employed pharmacist and have been applying for pharmacist jobs that pay $35/hour. So I'm not sure if there will be $42 jobs available when you graduate as saturation will be worse by then. It doesn't make financial sense for you to go to school to make less money than you are making now. Now if you are looking for a change of job, pharmacy could bring that.