help in where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panthera

the big cat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.3 GPA
GRE = TBA
CA Resident

I'm planning on taking the GRE in August, I'd like to know what GRE score would I need with my GPA to get into some of the better post bacc programs for pre-med science courses.

Members don't see this ad.

3.3 GPA
GRE = TBA
CA Resident

I'm planning on taking the GRE in August, I'd like to know what GRE score would I need with my GPA to get into some of the better post bacc programs for pre-med science courses.

With a 3.3 you can get into SMP program @ Boston MAMS or Georgetown SMP assuming that your MCAT is competitive (> 30 MCAT). I would not suggest taking GRE because it served little or no purpose, an MCAT can be use to subsitute for admission requirement.

In terms of post-bac, there are two types. One for career changer (i.e. high GPA but have not taken science courses required for medical school) and the other one is aimed for minorities and/ or economically disadvantage. Majority of the structured post-bac have a good chance of bringing students into medical school.
Check out the respective post-bac thread, such as CA Post Bac (good acceptance rate to CA med schools), Scripps, etc. They are typically very competitive in general and look @ the whole applicant: extracurricular activities, volunteering, etc.

Good luck.

With a 3.3 you can get into SMP program @ Boston MAMS or Georgetown SMP assuming that your MCAT is competitive (> 30 MCAT). I would not suggest taking GRE because it served little or no purpose, an MCAT can be use to subsitute for admission requirement.

In terms of post-bac, there are two types. One for career changer (i.e. high GPA but have not taken science courses required for medical school) and the other one is aimed for minorities and/ or economically disadvantage. Majority of the structured post-bac have a good chance of bringing students into medical school.
Check out the respective post-bac thread, such as CA Post Bac (good acceptance rate to CA med schools), Scripps, etc. They are typically very competitive in general and look @ the whole applicant: extracurricular activities, volunteering, etc.

Good luck.

The OP stated s/he needed to take the prereqs, so I doubt taking the MCAT would go very well.

A 3.3 GPA is a bit low for the most competitive formal postbac programs, but give Scripps a try -- that'd be your best case scenario, as it would allow you to keep CA resident status. Mills is likely a bit less competitive, but still nothing to shake a stick at. As suggested above, there are a great deal of threads on CA postbac programs so check them out. Folks that post there will be more knowledgeable in general; I'm pure east coast and will be for the next 4 years at least, so I'm no expert on CA.

thank you NewmansOwn and gl0baltrader, I appreciate your help.

I checked out Mills and Scripps and they seem amazing. I'm just not confident enough to only apply there. SO I'd like to apply broadly to other respective post baccs outside of CA aswell.

What are the better post baccs for career changers needing to take the pre-med recs outside CA?