Help: Informal post bacc but courses are out of series!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MareNostrummm

D.O. Class of 2022
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I graduated from a UC several years ago and only needed to take the first 2 quarters of general biology with lab for my major. Med schools typically require a full year of the biology series (3 quarters with lab). Thus I have elected to take the missing biology lecture/lab at a local cal state by doing an informal post bacc and enrolling in the open university program.

The biology class that I am missing from my UC is for introduction to microbes/plants/animals which is actually Biology 1 at the cal state. Biology 3 at the cal state is actually Ecology/Evolution which I already took as Biology 2 at my UC... So in other words the series are completely out of order between the different universities.

If I take Biology 1 at the Cal State (the missing content of microbes/plants/animals material) I'll essentially end up having Biology 1 twice on my transcript. Would this confuse adcoms? Is there a section to explain myself? (I am applying next year for the 2018 cycle btw). Should I just take Biology 3/lab at the cal state anyway for the sake of clarity and less headache despite possibly overlapping the content?

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you take the missing class at the UC if they offer it? If not I think you should just take what you're missing (Bio 1 at Cal state). I don't think you'd be asked about it. It will probably only come up when they are verifying coursework for matriculation.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you take the missing class at the UC if they offer it? If not I think you should just take what you're missing (Bio 1 at Cal state). I don't think you'd be asked about it. It will probably only come up when they are verifying coursework for matriculation.

I've already moved hours away from the UC, so going back is not an option.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've already moved hours away from the UC, so going back is not an option.

My transcript says something like Bio 1: Cell Bio + Genetics or Bio 3: Ecology or whatever so if they have something like that it would clear up any confusion.

My transcript says something like Bio 1: Cell Bio + Genetics or Bio 3: Ecology or whatever so if they have something like that it would clear up any confusion.

On my UC transcript its just listed as Intro Biology I and Intro Biology II.

At the cal state I'm not sure what it will be listed as. Thanks for your response!

As long as you have a full year of biology with lab on your transcript, it shouldn't matter too much and most medical schools will not care as the content differs from one course to another when compared between schools.

As long as you have a full year of biology with lab on your transcript, it shouldn't matter too much and most medical schools will not care as the content differs from one course to another when compared between schools.

Thanks for the response!