Help! Is this even possible???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hets

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergrad, and I've transferred schools and campuses about 3 times (for reasons beyond my control, finances, etc...) I have 3 W's so far, one of which I am retaking. I couldn't help getting 2 of them, because if I didnt' drop them, I might have gotten bad grades in the classes. My gpa stands at about a 2.97 right now. I've had a really difficult time during undergrad, mostly because of finances, transferring, and being sick for two semesters. Also, I have worked all through school, and many times have had to have 2 jobs to keep up with tuition.

I really REALLY want to apply to med school when I graduate. I'm planning on taking all my prereqs as a post bac. If I do well during the post bac, how would DO schools look at my grades? I've got a mix of A's, B's, and C's, with nothing lower than a C.

I realize an upward trend and a good gpa from the prereqs is what I need, but would they look unfavorably at my undergrad gpa? I've still got about 3 semesters to finish, and this semester is looking pretty good at this point. I'm planning on starting to study for MCAT's this year.

As far as EC's, I've volunteered at a hospital, and am currently researching with two professors to work on an honors thesis, both of which I have been researching with for over a year. I'm also part of a few pre-med and science related clubs.

Do I have a good chance? I just want to know if and what I should expect to come up once I begin applying.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say that you have a good chance...Your grades arent' "that" bad and you have time on your side. You have enough time to pull that upward trend (which definately would increase your chances of acceptance). You should take a bit of time to look at the avg GPA accepted at schools and set that as a goal.

Also, it is good that you are planning on studying for the MCAT early, just make sure you don't take it until you are fully ready. With your plans of doing a post bac; don't rush taking the MCAT. A good/great MCAT score can go a long way to 1. make up for your grandes and 2. show the adcom that you dedicated.

I would highly suggest that you find a DO to shadow, establish a good relationship with him/her and be ready with killer LORs.

Also, if at all possible, you need to make school your priority if you truely want to be a physician. I understand the whole financial thing, as I had to support myself thru undergrad. However, it would be to your advantage to find time for school. If this means finding a job that is lower pay but that will allow you to study at work, do it. If this means cutting back to only a few of your fav extra curriculars (note don't drop all), do it.

Good luck...and if it is really what you want; dont' give up.

You definitely can! I graduated undergrad with a 2.45....F, D, W you name it...Just like you said, I did all my prereqs post bacc. Got all A's (I took almost 80 credit hours worth..more than neccessary) and brought my GPA up to a 3.6. I did moderately well on my MCAT, but I think what made a big difference for me was expereince in the field (EMT) and having great LORs, especially one from a DO associated with the school I wanted to go to...I got into and interviewed at several schools MD and DO. Take your time, do it right, and be patient. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry. You can still attend med school. Heck, I was kicked out of undergrad at one point for a substandard GPA, and now I'm a MSII preparing to begin my clerkships. It wasn't easy though. I ultimately had to retake a few of my classes to replace the bad grades with A's. I also joined the Air Force, became an EMT and started a family before I applied to school. Make sure that you show steady improvement in your grades and that you're committed to medicine by doing something clinical. Do really well on the MCAT. On a side note, I was accepted to both MD and DO programs with my less than ideal stats.

Good luck!

Cyndi

Hets said:
I am an undergrad, and I've transferred schools and campuses about 3 times (for reasons beyond my control, finances, etc...) I have 3 W's so far, one of which I am retaking. I couldn't help getting 2 of them, because if I didnt' drop them, I might have gotten bad grades in the classes. My gpa stands at about a 2.97 right now. I've had a really difficult time during undergrad, mostly because of finances, transferring, and being sick for two semesters. Also, I have worked all through school, and many times have had to have 2 jobs to keep up with tuition.

I really REALLY want to apply to med school when I graduate. I'm planning on taking all my prereqs as a post bac. If I do well during the post bac, how would DO schools look at my grades? I've got a mix of A's, B's, and C's, with nothing lower than a C.

I realize an upward trend and a good gpa from the prereqs is what I need, but would they look unfavorably at my undergrad gpa? I've still got about 3 semesters to finish, and this semester is looking pretty good at this point. I'm planning on starting to study for MCAT's this year.

As far as EC's, I've volunteered at a hospital, and am currently researching with two professors to work on an honors thesis, both of which I have been researching with for over a year. I'm also part of a few pre-med and science related clubs.

Do I have a good chance? I just want to know if and what I should expect to come up once I begin applying.

I think what ADCOMs like to see is the upward GPA trend. Also, having good MCAT will help you a lot. I was in similar situation, financial responsibility, working full time, taking 19-20 credits, had few Ws. I maintained decent GPA though. During med school interview, they did ask me about Ws, and I explained it to them. Got in to 3 schools, and turned down other 3. Your ability to multi-task, being reponsible and other qualities are going to differentiate you from other applicants. Just work on getting decent MCAT, and try avoiding any more Ws.
Good luck.