help!just be pregnant... doing dental assistant now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just confirm I am pregnant this morning.

doing parttime dental assistant in dental department.

It is dangous to contact x-ray duirng the 1st trimenon

what should I do ?

Is it necesary to quit the dental assisant job?

Members don't see this ad.

I just confirm I am pregnant this morning.

doing parttime dental assistant in dental department.

It is dangous to contact x-ray duirng the 1st trimenon

what should I do ?

Is it necesary to quit the dental assisant job?

Great news !

No, don't quit the job and share it with your colleagues at dental office they will enrich you with the precautions you need to take and will creat a congenial environment to work in that very situation.

Best of luck !

thanks kal ka!

the situation is, there are fours dental chairs in the same room. Every chair accompanies a x-ray machine.

when taking x-ray from a chair, they draw a moving lead door to block up the x-ray, at the mean time the dental assistant and the dentist just stand behind the lead door.

but the moving lead door cannot cover the whole width, there is still half of the width uncovered.

still hesitating, you know It is hard to find a job....

Great news !

No, don't quit the job and share it with your colleagues at dental office they will enrich you with the precautions you need to take and will creat a congenial environment to work in that very situation.

Best of luck !

Members don't see this ad :)
Great news !

Best of luck !

well said! That's the way to go. Also consult w/ your OBGYN
And Congrats!

thanks kal ka!

the situation is, there are fours dental chairs in the same room. Every chair accompanies a x-ray machine.

when taking x-ray from a chair, they draw a moving lead door to block up the x-ray, at the mean time the dental assistant and the dentist just stand behind the lead door.

but the moving lead door cannot cover the whole width, there is still half of the width uncovered.

still hesitating, you know It is hard to find a job....

I can understand your concern; you know your working conditions well,

but I would say if you are working there permanently your employer also understands the duty of care towards their employees, so if you will discuss with them they can offer you a best suggestion/ option ; like offer you a position at the front desk, can assign those risk involved duties to other employees, … , for few months.

Where as I know, Employers are legally bound and liable for the safety of their employees, and can’t fire their employees in these kind of situations, but if you are not permanent yet or working as volunteer then it is questionable.

Remember, safety is the first concern at the work. An employee and an employer, both are equally responsible for creating and implementing safety policy.

Hope you will come up with a solution, beacuse each problem has a solution.

If it is your First Trimester and the dentist is using Nitrous oxide then u should not be in that room at all. NO can lead to spontaneous abortion and also can cause birth defects in unborn fetus. so its important to know about that.