Help! Keeping Notes from undergrad? Any upperclassmen lurking here?

KittyRex

UC Davis SVM c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2008
Davis, CA
Status
Veterinary Student
Hi everyone. So, I'm packing to move up to Davis and I started sorting through my old notes from undergrad (I have PILES of them). I'm having a hard time trying to decide which notes/textbooks (and from which classes) will be helpful in vet school.

So far, I've decided to keep my neatly-typed biochem, physio & molecular cell notes along with textbooks for those classes. I was pretty much on the verge of tossing all of my scribbled chicken-scratch notes from genetics, ochem & gen chem (but keep the textbooks for reference) as well as get rid of my physics & analytical biochem notes (and texbooks) when I had a moment of panic (What if I REALLY need to know the mechanism of an SN2 reaction in like pharmacology or something?!?! :eek:)

I thought I would consult with the collective wisdom of my fellow SDNers.... Can any upperclassmen (esp. VAgirl! :D) or insightful 2013ers comment on whether it's helpful to keep notes from basic science undergrad classes? Or is there not enough time to actually sort through undergrad notes anyways? If you don't use notes, do you tend to use your undergrad textbooks as references at all?

Thanks

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 19, 2008
Status
Veterinarian
I never saw the usefulness of old notes... Only use of notes was to tell me what to study for on an individual classes test.

If I ever need to relearn something, regardless of how nice or complete my notes are, I am going to turn to wikipedia (yes, i said wikipedia), or one of the many text books I have... not my notes.

I do save notes for nostalgia however

rugbychick16

KSU CVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
South Dakota
Status
Veterinarian
If you end up having time to study your vet school notes, vet school textbooks, reference websites....and undergrad textbooks/notes....that would be very impressive.

I would only keep notes if the class was in an area of your interest or if the notes are really neat and easy to find what you're looking for. I tossed 90% of mine. I kept a few textbooks from favorite undergrad classes that I used for maybe one or two class topics this past year.

sofficat

AU CVM c/o 11
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2007
Status
Veterinary Student
chuck 'em. 90% of them at least. I have no more notes from undergrad and I am going through my first 2 years of my vet school notes. Vet notes are a little different because some of the professors have specific ways of treating diseases and approaches to different symptoms and things like that. Although anatomy notes I'm gonna have to part with- I have 4 anatomy books- I don't think I will ever refer to my disorganized notes ;)

1CellNtheSea

2012'er - OkSU
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
Notes I'd get rid of, but books are more valuable. Books are much easier to refer to (hello, index) when you need a quick reference. I kept a few (intro to bio, repro) and found them useful. I also found myself wishing I'd have kept my neurobiology, nutrition and a few others. You won't be lost without them but its nice to have the simple stuff to turn to when you need small things explained.

oregonhopeful

Oregon State C/O 2013
10+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
I have a few sets of notes from undergrad and I'm emotionally connnected to them. One was the best biology class I've ever had and my notes are chock full of good stuff - but I'll probably toss those before school starts. The physics notes I'm starting to chuck but I've used them for a couple years to help other people. The marine biology notes from my study away class I've kept because i like them. but I have no thoughts about ever referring to them again. The only notes I've ever ever reused were physics, and that was only in helping others. Have a bonfire with those notes and enjoy it. Maybe roast some marshmallows.

lailanni

c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2007
Status
Veterinarian
As I posted in another thread I only kept my bio book (and o-chem for sentimental reasons) and tossed/burned the rest. Didn't regret it one bit, life is good.

This year I took a select bit of LA anatomy I hated (distal limb, anyone?), went to a gun range, and well... gave those pages some extra foramen. It was my lab group's end of year celebration :)

sumstorm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
As posted in another thread, I have most of my undergrad notes in the sciences along with the textbooks, but all were organized from the moment the class was completed. Also, because I was a paid note taker, my notes are shockingly organized.

I haven't brought them to vet school with me (they are at our other house 3.5 hours away) but I did use them a lot when I was developing 'science at the zoo' programs several years ago. To me, the value of old personal reference material is based on how accessible it is (organizationally), how much time you have, the clarity of the material, the additional features (mnemonics, unique illustrations, thought provoking add ons), and what you are using it for.

With vet school, I kind of assume if I need to know something, the school/text/internet will provide it, and even if it isn't offered up that easily, the library or instructor will have something available. I am not sure I would have kept my notes if the internet was as heavily developed when I was in college. There was information out there, but it was hard to find, lacked illustrations, and was often drier than the textbooks.

Angelo84

Tufts Class of 2011
10+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2007
Status
Veterinary Student
I agree with the others generally toss all notes. I brought a few textbooks with me from undergrad that were useful. These were my undergrad anatomy and physiology book and my repro course textbook. Otherwise you will have plenty of material to sift through without going back to old notes/textbooks.

rugbychick16

KSU CVM Class of 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
South Dakota
Status
Veterinarian
This year I took a select bit of LA anatomy I hated (distal limb, anyone?), went to a gun range, and well... gave those pages some extra foramen. It was my lab group's end of year celebration :)
That cracks me up. On a similar note, I recall that after the equine leg exam, I explained to my lab group that any horse that comes into see me with complex lameness issues, I was going to send it over to the local shooting range for treatment. Must be those distal limbs that just get to us...

1CellNtheSea

2012'er - OkSU
10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
Status
Veterinary Student
That is hilarious. :laugh: The distal equine limb was my lowest test grade and my least favorite part (interesting yes, but hard as hell to remember all those ligaments, etc) :scared: Give me the abdomen any day! I wish I could've given my notes some extra foramen (nice term btw) but sadly they're sitting on my bookshelf in case I need them in clinics...

lailanni

c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2007
Status
Veterinarian
:laugh: I knew there was a correct plural!! Foramens didn't sound right and I almost thought of asking you or googling it... heheheh! At least I still have auditory tube down. Auditory tube!

genius + best lab partner ever + awesome = MBV :)

The funny thing is I had an anatomy dream last week (I know, another weird dream) where one of the doctors from work explained a ton of anatomy to me, even origins and all that crap, and it was all correct - I went through the trouble of looking it up later. I guess it's all in there somewhere subconciously, even though I sure don't remember it now!

spikey

penn vet 2011
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2006
new jersey
Status
Veterinary Student
you are not alone in thinking you'll use them and wanting to keep them - i did the same thing. but in vet school, i have NEVER consulted my old undergraduate notes. ever. i hold onto everything, and i have all my vet notes bound by subject. i'm such a dork :laugh: halfway through, and my bookcase is full. oh no!

Last edited:

sumstorm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
NC
Status
Veterinarian
Yeah, I have bookshelves, but my notes/past notes go into a filing system. Bookshelves are for current texts, references, etc.

Must say, mine are choke full of magazines and behaviortraining texts, though.