Help.. Letter of Interest/Intent after waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at this point, I have just one waitlist and am waiting to hear back postinterview from only one more school.
The school that waitlisted me is really my top-choice so i need some advice on wording my LOI.
Should i tell them that i will definitely attend if given the opportunity?
should i also tell them that i have no other acceptances and (that i am intl. student and my visa issues etc will be really screwed up if i dont get accepted...) whats the right amount of desperation to show..... (if ever there was a stupid question...)
what are the other things i should include in my LOI...

Thank you all for your help.
Prayers solicited... will return the favor.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Now is a good time for a Letter of Intent.

I wouldn't mention the visa stuff, that makes it seem like "any school as long as I'm in", but do mention that you'll go if you get in.

Take a look at what I have suggested for most people.

(Address to Dean of Admissions)

Paragraph 1: As you may know, I am currently on the waitlist. I am writing to state in no uncertain terms that it is my intent to attend XYZ medical school. If accepted I will withdraw all outstanding applications to other medical schools and begin the process of enrolling at XYZ medical school.

Paragraph 2: Kiss ass. Tell them why you love the school so much. Give details.

Paragraph 3: Closure. Include details about how you may be contacted since you are on the waitlist. (e-mail, home mailing address, phone, any alternate phone numbers, etc.)

Thank you and I hope to see you in August,

Your name
Your AMCAS ID

^Type and Sign

Just adding to Depakote's sensational outline...

Be sure to tell them why YOU are such a good fit for THEM (specific reason)... AKA, what will you bring to the class? I did this in the final paragraph after telling them how awesome they are for me and why (make sure you don't just tell them about things you like, but why you personally REALLY like certain aspects).

e.g. if they have a certain lab you want to do research in, mention it and the PI by name and tell them why (chosen specialty, etc); if they have a free clinic or rural program and you're really keen to get involved b/c you want to continue that work through your professional career, tell them this in detail

Find your niche at the school of your choice and convince them why you should be allowed to crawl into it for the next 4 years. :D