HELP! LMHP-E (LPC) to Psychiatric NP or Psychiatrist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blueberries2918

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have been working with substance use and co-occurring disorders for several years. I am currently in residency for LPC and I am an advanced credentialed addictions counselor (CAADC). In the past year I was blessed to work with children and adults with other mental health issues- PTSD, bipolar, ADHD, etc. In my work I refer clients whom may benefit from medication for a psychiatric evaluation. However, there seems to be a shortage of providers in my area - Richmond, VA., in addition to other minor complaints. I've been thinking about going back to school to be able to provide the best mental health care I can to my cliens, as well as fill the gap of psychiatric providers.

Its been heavily on my heart the past 3 months to obtain a psychiatric nurse practitioner license. But I have absolutely NO interest in nursing. Since I have to work, it will take me at least 6 to 8 years to obtain the a PMHNP license. Or I can obtain a lesser position and enroll in an accelerated program and be done in 4 to 6 years all together. This is including the BA pre requisites and working as an RN.
After speaking to my boss, a clinical psychologist, I told her about my interest in prescribing as a psychiatric nurse. She commented- thats time for a PH.D. I thought why not look into the PH.D or rather the M.D. for psychiatry. Did some research and learned that schooling to become a psychiatrist in total is 8 to 10 years. And I am fascinated with the brain and adaptational changes that occur due to substances, trauma, etc; neuro-anything is pretty much fascinating.

However, I am no spring chicken. I am 41, a divorced single mother of a 5 yr old, In debt $100,000 with student loans, live 7 hours away from famlly support, and have to work to support myself and my children.

My qyestion is what do I do? I thought I was done with school... I've read info from other forums that made me more confused. Am I too old? Is my situation tooo non-traditional? Can I or should I go to medical school? Or is Nurse practitioner more realistic? My goal is to begin this journey once I'm licensed as LPC. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.