Soon to be NP thinking about MD PLEASE HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bribri123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have posted on this forum before, I am needing some advice

I graduated with my BSN in 2018 I come from a low income family, I am a first generation college graduate and actually the first and only to graduate from college in my family
Anyway. I began working as a bedside nurse and I had this itch of wanting to know more and do more I decided I wanted to do a DIY post bacc so I applied to a community college online and took algebra passed with a B then proceeded to take biology and plane trig well life happened fell in love decided to buy a home and settle down and I totally ignored those classes and ended up with a D in biology and a W in plane trig, but my desire to serve my patients in a greater capacity did not go away and so I enrolled in nurse practitioner school and did well the first semester B and A in my two course, my second semester in I became disillusioned with the idea of nurse practitioner because I felt my classes left me with more questions and didn’t answer the why so I withdrew from the school ended up with W’s on that transcript and then enrolled in UC Berkeley online science prereqs once again with the determination to succeed and get the prereqs (this was in 2019-2020) well life happened once again and I found out I was going to become a father and I decided to let my dream of becoming a physician go and I withdrew from my prereqs and ended up with W’s, I then enrolled myself into nurse practitioner school ( a different one this time) and decided this time I would see the program to the end and focus on my family, well now with 2 semesters remaining I do enjoy the role however I still have that desire to help my patients in a greater capacity then being a nurse practitioner will allow

It has now been 2 years since I last attempted prereqs and I am 27 years old and wiser and more focused then I was in 2019-2020
So my question is assuming I take all the prereqs and get straight A’s once I’m done with my MSN nurse practitioner degree and apply to medical school will it look terrible that I was back and forth those times or does my explanation make enough sense that the schools will understand and believe I am serious about medicine or are my chances slim considering I would likely also be 29-30 when I apply ?

Members don't see this ad.

Your age won't affect you. People apply to medical school in their 40s and 50s so you'll be fine. However, I do believe the medical school may question why you were so back and forth with things, as you already noted. I'm not an expert though, but those are my thoughts. I am wishing you the best!!

Not making money for 4 years is a tough pill to swallow. I had a pretty good CS career before med school and I have had several moments in med school where the only thing I think about is how I don’t make any money. I feel a lot better now only because I’m seeing the hell that software engineers are going through and I’m glad I won’t have to deal with that. But then again, I’m a guy - and I think it’s just a male instinct to want to work and provide value. If you’re a woman it may not bother you as much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not worth it. NPs and PAs already doing surgeries in some states. Soon they’ll have full practice across the country

Our school already talks down to us - med students - because NPs and PAs are "the real deal."

Hello everyone

I have posted on this forum before, I am needing some advice

I graduated with my BSN in 2018 I come from a low income family, I am a first generation college graduate and actually the first and only to graduate from college in my family
Anyway. I began working as a bedside nurse and I had this itch of wanting to know more and do more I decided I wanted to do a DIY post bacc so I applied to a community college online and took algebra passed with a B then proceeded to take biology and plane trig well life happened fell in love decided to buy a home and settle down and I totally ignored those classes and ended up with a D in biology and a W in plane trig, but my desire to serve my patients in a greater capacity did not go away and so I enrolled in nurse practitioner school and did well the first semester B and A in my two course, my second semester in I became disillusioned with the idea of nurse practitioner because I felt my classes left me with more questions and didn’t answer the why so I withdrew from the school ended up with W’s on that transcript and then enrolled in UC Berkeley online science prereqs once again with the determination to succeed and get the prereqs (this was in 2019-2020) well life happened once again and I found out I was going to become a father and I decided to let my dream of becoming a physician go and I withdrew from my prereqs and ended up with W’s, I then enrolled myself into nurse practitioner school ( a different one this time) and decided this time I would see the program to the end and focus on my family, well now with 2 semesters remaining I do enjoy the role however I still have that desire to help my patients in a greater capacity then being a nurse practitioner will allow

It has now been 2 years since I last attempted prereqs and I am 27 years old and wiser and more focused then I was in 2019-2020
So my question is assuming I take all the prereqs and get straight A’s once I’m done with my MSN nurse practitioner degree and apply to medical school will it look terrible that I was back and forth those times or does my explanation make enough sense that the schools will understand and believe I am serious about medicine or are my chances slim considering I would likely also be 29-30 when I apply ?

Assuming this is a genuine post, I would imagine that the numbers offline medical school admissions care about have little to do with your age range and more do to do with your overall GPA/MCAT. At least they did when I applied as a 29 y/o a few decades ago...Good Luck!

Last edited: