Help! MCAT in 1.5 weeks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ac2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! My AAMC practice scores have been all over the place and I'm so confused. Here they are in the order I took them.

AAMC 5 12/11/10
AAMC 7 8/9/10 (I tried a new strategy for physics and didn't work)
AAMC 9 12/11/10
AAMC 10 9/8/10 (caffeine+ anxiety was a bad mix for physics)
AAMC 4 10/9/10

No matter how much I study for bio I can't get it above a 10. Afterwards when I go over the section I notice many silly mistakes. Not sure what to do about that.

My verbal scores are all over the place. I've been doing 3 verbal full lengths every week as practice.

For physics, I can either do well 12 or make lots of silly mistakes and get a 10 or below.

I will be taking AAMC 11 in a few days. What should I do in the mean time?

Members don't see this ad.

Those are perfectly decent scores.

I must ask though ... why would you experiment with a new strategy after scoring a 12 in ps?

I noticed that I would catch silly mistakes when I had more time left over at the end. I tried to go as quickly as possible to have lots of time left over at the end to check but it ended up backfiring.

I predict your score to be

PS: 10
VR: 9
BS: 10

Total: 29

Seriously man, the averages are pretty accurate. The fluctuation of scores means that you don't know all areas as well as you think you do. If you think you can do better, postpone.

Members don't see this ad :)
While usually I would agree that score fluctuation is due to not knowing all the material equally, on days that I don't perform well I'm really anxious. Days I tend to do well I am very calm and tend to not care as much. Anyone else like this?

What can I do to improve in the next 1.5 weeks?

What can I do to increase my bio score?

Just pound through as many problems with TBR and EK as much as possible, and go over the solutions and explanations. I'd also look through bio problems from textbook books. Basically, do a lot of problems now, and stay away from content review with the MCAT coming up in less then 2 weeks.

How are you doing in o-chem? Learning o-chem well for me was the easiest way to bump up my score 1-2 pts, since I was scoring abysmally low. It might be hard to improve bio in a week, but maybe brushing up on o-chem might help.

I think you are set!

I've been following your posts. You're doing better on your practice tests than I did and I scored above a thirty. I think you just need to relax now and take a deep breath. You have everything you need to do well, just try not to worry yourself. In the next week, review some content, keep practicing, but most importantly, remember, this is just a test.

Be happy, positive, and everything will be fine! :)

While usually I would agree that score fluctuation is due to not knowing all the material equally, on days that I don't perform well I'm really anxious. Days I tend to do well I am very calm and tend to not care as much. Anyone else like this?

What can I do to improve in the next 1.5 weeks?

I have been getting really anxious recently also!
Im taking it on the 23rd as well.

a few weeks ago I was doing much better on practice tests but as it has gotten closer to our actual exam date Ive been getting nervous, making stupid mistakes and just been really anxious overall and because of this Im seeing a big drop in my score.

Ive been taking it easy lately and it seems to have helped. The other day I could not focus so I just took the day off and watched a movie. also Ive been going to the gym more often to relieve stress and going to sleep earlier.
and I def see my score improving again.

At this point most of the stuff you have learned already esp since youre getting >10s on the sections. Its all about relaxing yourself and preparing mentally for your test.

But I feel ya! its frustrating but you cant break down now the big days coming up. Just trust in your prep

I just took AAMC 11. I got 11/8/10. This is so frustrating. My verbal is all over the place. I was one question away from a 9. Last time I took the MCAT AAMC 11 predicted my score accurately for each section. I just wish I did better ;-(

My test is in 6 days.

Which gives you six days to get good sleep, go for a thirty-minute walk each day where you think about the different topics as you walk (physics one day, general chem another, and so on...), and organize your information. You shouldn't try to review anything new or tinker with different strategies. Get confident in what you do the way you do it.

Do nothing for a score or and don't take any tests under timed conditions from now on. Do passages slowly and methodically, paying attention to how you arrive at each choice. Grade your thought process and efficiency, not your result. Get into the right mindset of the exam.